Why become a member? ×

AMPEG B15N and Barefaced RetroTwo10?

Jazzneck

I've just spent a pleasant hour annoying the neighbours playing my '53P alike through my 1973 Ampeg B15N Portaflex.

The tone is superb old school blues / rock'n'roll but the volume is quite low before the EV speaker starts farting out.

It occurred to me that I could maybe put the Ampeg B15 head through the Barefaced like I did with my Elgen 100W head.

Has anyone tried this trick?

Will I get more volume or is it the amp that is the limiting factor?

I'll need to make a special lead to try it, the Ampeg has one of those funny 4 prong jobbies, if I'm to isolate the EV speaker / cab.

The extension speaker out on the Ampeg is 8ohms so I'll have to find out what the EV connection ohmage is, won't I.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1446121195' post='2897037']
I'm no expert but I think you may perceive more volume as the Retro will be more efficient?
[/quote]

Yup, that's my thinking.

The Portaflex experts over in the US say that the output impedance to the EV in the cabinet is 8 ohms but it's OK to run to a 4 ohm cab. but to watch out for an overheating transformer on the amp.

The 4 prong to Speakon connection is going to take a bit of working out though.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1446138160' post='2897269']
You could put it thru anything but I wouldn't pay out for anything extra.

Low powered amp so you aren't going to get any volume out of it, IMO.
[/quote]

I wouldn't use the word "any", I regularly gig my 30-watter with great results.
We play rock music and I use amp as a monitor on stage, and used Ashdown Little Bastard on gigs with audiences from 60 to ~3000 people.

With obvious exceptions you can pretty much put anything through anything. Part of the mojo of the B-15 tone is however the cab. Perhaps try it the other way around, that is put another head through the B-15 cab, and you might see what I mean. Volume/power is one thing, and is easily achieved, mojo on the other hand is a little more elusive :)

Thanks to you all. :)

I tried it last night with the result that the clean volume increased but not massively.

There was an increase in low frequencies for the same tone settings through the Barefaced over the B15N cab.

The B15N amp still reached "clipping distortion" at the 12 o'clock setting on the volume control, both channels, through the Barefaced.

Conclusions.
1) Leave the B15N well alone and use it, as is, for recording and low volume gigs.
2) Use the TB500 or the Elgen100W head with the Barefaced for all other situations.
3) [size=4]Use the Sansamp [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VT Bass DI in the circuit to the PA as and when required.[/font][/size]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4) Continue to learn to play bass properly.[/font]

[size=4][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does all that make sense?[/font][/size]

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1446197426' post='2897592']
All except point 4. Not sure I understand this "properly" of which you speak? :)
[/quote]

A term used by my 21 yo nephew who attended BIMM for a few years studying bass.
Apparently I do not hold my fretting hand "properly" and that I would fail Grade 1 because of this.
The fact that I have played bass in bands for nearly as long as he has lived, that he suffers from RSI in his left wrist and thumb and he has the highest grade possible leads me to believe I am missing something and I should continue to learn so I can be like him. ;)

LIke him or not, Berlin is a monster player who can indeed hold a groove.
Whilst he may not be known as a groove player... you only have to listen
a tad to know he has that as well.

He was well known and well used in the NY session scene and you don't do that
if all you have is pyro

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1446210700' post='2897757']
LIke him or not, Berlin is a monster player who can indeed hold a groove.
Whilst he may not be known as a groove player... you only have to listen
a tad to know he has that as well.

He was well known and well used in the NY session scene and you don't do that
if all you have is pyro
[/quote]

Absolutely, but he does like to rant about the tendency to focus on "groove", and that's what I was semi-jokingly referring to. He's a monster player and his approach and dedication to education deserves respect, even if his music is rarely my cup of tea. Best forget I brought it up...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1446208680' post='2897720']
Maybe the nephew spends a huge amount more time playing?
[/quote]

That's what like I thought like.
But, no is the answer to that one but he does sit in his bedroom playing and recording whilst I stand up playing most of the time with a band.
I did suggest "99, change hands" but he acted ignorant. :rolleyes:
Nevermind, I'll play on.....

• 3 weeks later...

[1st post to basschat - I'm mainly here because I'm interested in the Barefaced cabs.]

If your band or the venue has a decent PA, mic the cabinet.
A Super Twin II or Big Twin II would be a tad bit more efficient than the Two10, so you might have to mic that as well.
The original cab will be a major contributing factor to the tone, but I suspect just about any of Alex's cabs would sound great with that head.