Why become a member? ×

Bargain USA Precision, or fake?

JonnyScaramanga

Does [url="http://www.guitarmart.co.uk/advert/G28167"]this listing[/url] on GuitarMart look genuine to you?

The headstock has the "Precision Bass" text immediately below the Fender logo, and it doesn't say "Made in USA" on it, despite being listed as an American Standard.

[url="http://www.guitarmart.co.uk/advert/G28167/image-86104-L.jpg"]Link[/url] in case that image doesn't display.

I have never seen an American Standard Precision Bass with a headstock logo like that. Have they ever made them?

It's a Fender Classic 50s P Bass in Honey Blonde, not an American Standard. They're made in Mexico. They're also incredible basses, really well made, nice sound and a big fat neck. Price isn't too bad but you can occasionally get them for close to £400. I'd pull the seller up on the American Standard thing and see if you can get the price down if you're thinking about buying it.

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1445282446' post='2890278']
Mex basses are built in Mexico by Mexicans

USA basses are built in the USA by Mexicans.

P basses are the simplest design in all of bassdom. I struggle to see the benefit of USA ones these days as the "inferior" ones are so very good now.
[/quote] ^^ This

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1445280654' post='2890254']
Just read the ad and didn't see 'USA' or 'American' in there.
[/quote]

It's been edited, it was previously listed as an American Standard. Presumably he's been rumbled and changed it.

Or he's been made aware of his honest mistake, depending on how kind you want to be.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1445281806' post='2890266']
He seems to have modded the ad. But £499 for a MIM is optimistic IMHO. Shouldn't this expect to go for about £350?
[/quote]

If it was a Mexican Standard then yes, but these go for over £700 new, so £400-450 is the going rate for these second hand. That said, I still remember about 4-5 years back when £450 was the price of a new one, so £300 is a pretty steep price increase in such a short amount of time.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1445284176' post='2890302']

If it was a Mexican Standard then yes, but these go for over £700 new, so £400-450 is the going rate for these second hand. That said, I still remember about 4-5 years back when £450 was the price of a new one, so £300 is a pretty steep price increase in such a short amount of time.
[/quote]

Crazy isn't it? Mine was £350 back in 2008.