Why become a member? ×

Tab demands on YouTube

JapanAxe

Picture the scene: You are combing YouTube for audio examples of a bit of kit in which you are interested. You find one with a great piece of playing, that shows off the kit to its best advantage. Impressed, you scroll down through the comments for anything that will help increase your knowledge of said kit, and there it is:

[indent=1][b]Xxxxx[/b]: Tabs please![/indent]

No no no! How stupid is that? Listen up Xxxxx (probably not your real name I know), why would this talented player take the time to transcribe into tablature the music he came up with to demo this kit? Oh I know, so that you can shortcut years of study and practice by putting your fingers where the tab says, and magically replicate that music, without troubling your lazy ass with anything that might involve effort.

[/rant]

The thing I find annoying about it is that they are watching someone play it (generally with full view of the fretboard). YouTube now gives you the option of slowing down videos.

As far as the final part of your rant. Some people don't have the time or desire to learn things by ear/read sheet music. Which is perfectly fine in my books. I personally don't use tabs but have nothing against people who do.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1445037560' post='2888441']
The whole notation/tab thing has been done to death in other threads, but it's the attitude of wanting everything on a plate, this instant, that grates on me.
[/quote]

I get that and it is annoying. Half the time there is already a tab in the description I've noticed!

You do get some people who are really rude about demanding a tab.

I was watching a video recently on YouTube, the playing was superb and he was playing his own piece.
One of the comments was

"Where is the F&@£king tab, don't be so F£&@king lazy and selfish, we need tabs!!"

Your not exactly going to get anywhere with that attitude. There really are some monumental bellends on YouTube.

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1445077391' post='2888605']
I was watching a video recently on YouTube, the playing was superb and he was playing his own piece.
One of the comments was

"Where is the F&@£king tab, don't be so F£&@king lazy and selfish, we need tabs!!"

Your not exactly going to get anywhere with that attitude. There really are some monumental bellends on YouTube.
[/quote]

Clearly the world owes that person a living, and all the tabs they desire.

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1445077391' post='2888605']
One of the comments was

[/quote]

Agreed.

I always make sure when I'm posting a video to stipulate that there are no tabs available because I don't know how to write them and they will have to listen and learn by ear like I did myself

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1445077604' post='2888610']
Clearly the world owes that person a living, and all the tabs they desire.
[/quote]

There is a whole generation of guitar and bass players who literally cannot do anything other than put their fingers where they are told to by a piece of tab. Theres a video of some guy who won a one-on-one lesson with Joe Satriani and when Joe asked him what he wanted to get out of the session all the guy could say was (paraphrasing) "I was hoping you could show me how to play some bits of your songs because I'm not sure the tabs I've been learning them from got it right".

In the case your citing, if someone has audio and video of an isolated bass part and they still think they need tabs for it ... youve got to wonder if they have any real aptitude for the instrument.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1445090781' post='2888742']

There is a whole generation of guitar and bass players who literally cannot do anything other than put their fingers where they are told to by a piece of tab.
[/quote]

Once upon a time I was one of those guys, the music industry getting tab sites shut down was one of the best things to happen to my playing.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1445090781' post='2888742']

There is a whole generation of guitar and bass players who literally cannot do anything other than put their fingers where they are told to by a piece of tab. Theres a video of some guy who won a one-on-one lesson with Joe Satriani and when Joe asked him what he wanted to get out of the session all the guy could say was (paraphrasing) "I was hoping you could show me how to play some bits of your songs because I'm not sure the tabs I've been learning them from got it right".

In the case your citing, if someone has audio and video of an isolated bass part and they still think they need tabs for it ... youve got to wonder if they have any real aptitude for the instrument.
[/quote]
Back in the early nineties some lads, that I sort of knew through mutual friends, knocked on my door to ask if I would rehearse with them as their bass player hadn't turned up. I said yes because I thought it might be fun, and they carried my gear for me. I don't know about fun, but it was certainly an experience... First of all, there was no drummer. I think I know who was supposed to be their drummer, but I also know that he had never owned a kit. There were two guitarists but one of them couldn't play at all (he had only just bought the guitar and hadn't learned anything yet), he quickly put it down and decided he was going to be a second vocalist. He was easily as good as the actual vocalist, in that neither of them could sing at all.
Then there was the thing I found oddest of all... The lead guitarist could play Enter Sandman really well. But it was the [i]only[/i] song he could play and he could only play it if he had the tab in front of him. It was the strangest thing, he just absolutely fell apart if he looked up from the book. The book being the tab for the Metallica self titled album. He couldn't play any of the other songs in it and couldn't play any songs that weren't in it.

They asked me if I would join them if they sacked their bassist... Yeah, that didn't happen.

I'm not knocking tab, I use it myself to help with learning songs.

Edited by KingBollock

The most bizarre request for a tab Ive seen related to the segment of the film 'It might get loud', where Jack White is demonstrating with a plank, a pickup a bottle and some nails, how easy it is to make a diddley bow.

He then connects up to an overdriven amp, and proceeds to play some one string slide riffs.

A kid had posted in the comments action in the youtube excerpt, asking for a tab for the guitar part!