Why become a member? ×

Gimmick or Innovation (or just the best bass for metal!?)

Jonnyboy Rotten

First time I have seen this....

It looks like it has a little effects unit built in.

Not really sure about it myself....more details here: [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=2&series_id=59&data_id=98&color=CL01"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=2&series_id=59&data_id=98&color=CL01[/url]

Not really for metal, to be honest, especially with the lack of a bridge pickup.

It's a Kaoss pad, which is essentially digital modulation controllable with a touch pad. It's not really an fx unit in the way that stomp boxes are, it's a performance thing. Matt Bellamy (guitarist for Muse) has one built in to a 6-string of his...

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1444991531' post='2887896']
It's a Kaoss pad, which is essentially digital modulation controllable with a touch pad. It's not really an fx unit in the way that stomp boxes are
[/quote]

It says it is "...loaded with 100 dynamic Kaoss effects..."

What is the difference between digital modulation and an fx unit? I don't get it. :blink:

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

The advertising text

Much in the vein of classic sports car ethos, the SRKP4 is sleek, yet simple. Muscular, yet agile. Turbo charged by the Mini Kaoss Pad 2s, this is the perfect vehicle for any level of aptitude, any style of playing, or any musical genre.

Reminds me of the "J. Arthur" section in that 80s free music paper Making Music, where such advertisers texts were subject to appropriate ridicule.

I've seen a few Kaos Pad guitar demos along with some Matt Bellamy stuff and it seems a bit of a one trick pony.

I can't really imagine how you'd use that trick on a bass unless you're in Royal Blood or some other band which required the bass to make brief bursts of unusual noises.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1444995328' post='2887959']
I wonder if it will sound as good as this fine Kay guitar from the 1970s (ass advertised in the Gratton catologue)...
[/quote]

I had one of those for a little while, it was a fun charity shop find. The effects were awful, except for the Fuzz which was crude but useable. The best "feature" was entirely accidental - by lodging the effects bypass switch halfway between on and off it would connect the input and outputs together, causing howling feedback noises which could be modulated with the controls.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1444999612' post='2888038']
Yes, the underwear and swimsuit sections were always very popular :blush:
[/quote]

As a turgid young teen, I'd favour the shower section. Usually a bit of bare leg and a tantalising glimpse of side-boob on offer. Kids today have it so easy, don't they? Reverse cowboy, teabagging, Arabian goggles, dirty Sanchez, pearl necklaces and Boston pancakes, all at the click of a mouse!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1444999990' post='2888043']
As a turgid young teen, I'd favour the shower section. Usually a bit of bare leg and a tantalising glimpse of side-boob on offer. Kids today have it so easy, don't they? Reverse cowboy, teabagging, Arabian goggles, dirty Sanchez, pearl necklaces and Boston pancakes, all at the click of a mouse!
[/quote]

Aye - you were lucky.........

We had to make do with torn up mags, caught in hedges when we were kids......

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1445012715' post='2888192']
We had to make do with torn up mags, caught in hedges when we were kids...
[/quote]

What was that about..? They were sometimes in black bin liners, too. Quite often accompanied by a knotted old dobbie full of spongle. Why did the nation dispose of their unwanted bongo mags under hedges in the 70s?

Obviously not as concerned about recycling back then, I suppose. How things change.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445014954' post='2888225']
What was that about..? They were sometimes in black bin liners, too. Quite often accompanied by a knotted old dobbie full of spongle. Why did the nation dispose of their unwanted bongo mags under hedges in the 70s? Obviously not as concerned about recycling back then, I suppose.
[/quote]

It went on well into the 80s, at least in our neighbourhood. There were little stashes of them dotted around the patch of trees we used to play in, and no-one knew who put them there...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1444999990' post='2888043']

[/quote]

I never thought of myself as having lead a particularly sheltered life, but I honestly have no idea what half of those things are. It sounds to me like a rundown of the starters at Aintree 🐴

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1445031052' post='2888389']

I never thought of myself as having lead a particularly sheltered life, but I honestly have no idea what half of those things are. It sounds to me like a rundown of the starters at Aintree 🐴
[/quote]

I didn't either... But I googled them and now I do... My advice is not to do that.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1445081792' post='2888659']
...I think the guys at Wunjo bass on Denmark Street must be reading it - as I was on my way home last night I noticed that one of these basses has appeared in their shop window yesterday :)
[/quote]

If that's the case, I sincerely hope nothing else appears in their shop window. :blink: I remember when the original Kaoss Pad was released just before the turn of the century. I didn't really understand it then, and I don't understand it now to be honest...