Why become a member? ×

Single Cut Camphor and Alder PJ

Andyjr1515

Thanks, folks :)

So with apologies for the complete shambles around it - the detritus of last night's gig and the result of having to do all of this stuff indoors due to the seemingly endless rain, the fretboard is finally glued and clamped! The more observant amongst you will see the resulting stain that dropping an almost full bottle of threadlock does to a rug (which, as you can imagine, went down rather well with Mrs Andyjr1515). Happily the little Vox practice amp covers the even larger and considerably brighter permanent red ink stain that Mrs Andyjr1515 hasn't seen yet...

The pack of printer paper, by the way, is stopping the cheapo indoor folding workbench from overbalancing and ruining everybody's day. Repeating the oft quoted mantra .... you can never have too many clamps.

I reckon I'm going to be neck carving soon :D

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1450165858' post='2930092']
Will Santa be bringing your good lady wife a new rug? I hope so!
[/quote]
Well, Santa will have to bring something - based on the forecast of continuous rain for the next 25 years (or so it feels) it looks like I'm going to have to do the whole carve in the spare room!

I've planed down the back of the neck to final size and started the carve of the heel - the latter will be finished once I have the profile shaped:

From the profile-gauge measurements that Kert did for me from his Warwick, I have cut out a stiff plasticard template of that neck profile at the 1st, 7th and 12th frets:

The neck depth mentioned above, also matches his Warwick.

The next steps is that I will rasp and finish file the profile at those three positions, and then use a spokeshave to remove the bulk in between. That's a lot of shavings to try to hide....

As it was relatively dry this afternoon, got a pass-out to do the rough carve on the neck.

The first job was to file down to the template profile shape with a rasp file. After a tip-off from a guy on another forum, I nowadays use the 'microplane' rasps - they are brilliant!:

First fret done:

...then the seventh fret:

Then out comes the spokeshave to plane between the two datum points. Of course to use the spokeshave it's a two-handed job but, based on the threadlock on the rug, I had to take the photo myself :D :

The profile is now starting to get there :

Then a bit of sanding to smooth off the facets:

The ditto from the heel to the 7th fret datum point:

So that has the broad shape. I will now take my time with cabinet scrapers to get the neck 'feeling just right' and also finish off the heel before a final sanding.

Thanks for looking :)
Andy

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1450293564' post='2931486']
Ooh Veritas, very nice!

You make it look easy!
[/quote]
Actually, the Veritas was a very recent acquisition - first use today. Worth every penny (in in comparison to some of the 'better' makes, not too exhorbitant - very easy to adjust for the optimum cut depth. My cheapo cheapo one was actually surprisingly good, but this is definitely better :)

It's the fastest that I've got to this stage...took less than 1hr. I'm sure last time I did it (for the bubinga fretless), it took much longer. The key seems to be doing the two datums first - I didn't do that last time.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1450295809' post='2931524']
Actually, the Veritas was a very recent acquisition - first use today. Worth every penny (in in comparison to some of the 'better' makes, not too exhorbitant - very easy to adjust for the optimum cut depth. My cheapo cheapo one was actually surprisingly good, but this is definitely better :)

It's the fastest that I've got to this stage...took less than 1hr. I'm sure last time I did it (for the bubinga fretless), it took much longer. The key seems to be doing the two datums first - I didn't do that last time.
[/quote]

I've heard a lot of good things about veritas things. I've actually asked for a couple of their saws for christmas.

Rain stopped outdoors play again, so I started on the headstock. First, used a coping saw to cut the outline out within a few mm:

Then trial fitted the plate - also to make sure the allen key would fit into the slot for truss rod adjustment (which it wouldn't on one of my builds!):

Then glue and clamp: