Why become a member? ×

Single Cut Camphor and Alder PJ

Andyjr1515

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1452368413' post='2949370']
brilliant! Thanks for the explanation.
The first time you tried fretting, did you balls it up monumentally or is it easier than it seems?
[/quote]
It went fine .... I just watched every video, read every article, scoured every forum in existence and copied what everybody said [b]to the letter[/b] :D

The SG you may have seen before was my first fret job...thankfully, still playing OK a couple of years or so later (phew!):

[quote name='Bastav' timestamp='1452419672' post='2949693']
Great guide, thanks for that! That guitar is beautiful
[/quote]
Thanks, Bastav

I was pleased with the SG build. It's regularly gigged by one of my old-gits-band members and still looks and sounds great. It was head and shoulders my favourite build.... until Kert's camphor single cut :)

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1452468106' post='2950292']
I've stayed quiet on this thread but followed the build as it's went along. Very nice work Indeed!
[/quote]
Thanks, Cameron - and all the other folks who've said nice things about this build :)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1452621876' post='2951787']
Would it be rude to ask how much this is??
[/quote]
Not at all rude for you to ask, Mick...

...but as it is a commissioned build, it would be VERY rude for me to answer :D

Hope the reshaped headstock is still doing the the biz :)

Andy

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1452631415' post='2951913']
Very happy with your work...many thanks...

If/when my Ritter sells I may be looking for a headless custom build.....spent the money before I've even got it...
[/quote]
That would be great...another opportunity for me to make it up as I go along ;)

With my slightly odd way of gloss finishing (wipe-on using standard household clear polyurethane varnish), the trick is knowing when to stop. Often you think, "OK, just one more coat" and then it goes horribly wrong :rolleyes: .

On this basis, for the top, I think it's time to stop:

As it happens, the back does genuinely need "just one more coat", which I should be able to do tomorrow. The top will now wait a couple of weeks to harden properly before a final rub over with micromesh and Macguiers. Within a few days, however, it will be hard enough to be handled and so the process of fitting tuners, shielding of cavities, fitting bridge, fret levelling and crowning, fitting p/ups and setting the final thicknesses of the pickup covers should all be able to be completed during next week :)

[quote name='paulnb57' timestamp='1452798780' post='2953654']
Just when you think that looks good, you post those few absolutley stunning photos!

I would give you a wow on the other forum, but, well, have a Wow! here!

Top drawer stuff there!

Paul
[/quote]
:D Thanks, Paul

Andy

I know you're all getting a bit bored with this and just want to see the finished article, but I'm so excited at getting to the closing stages of the varnishing :D :

Goodness - hope it's going to sound OK to match how it's beginning to look! :lol:

Just applied this morning what MIGHT be the final coat on the back and the neck (you can never be quite sure until it's dried), then leave it a week to harden and then finish the final bits.

While the varnish has been drying, I've been progressing the 6-string acoustic build a little bit. It's as surprise 'special' birthday present for our old-gits-band's vocalist. I've got until July to build it, cock it up, rebuild it, wreck it and build it again...should be plenty of time :D