Why become a member? ×

Single Cut Camphor and Alder PJ

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1448283672' post='2914108']
this is coming on so well, the more I look at the progress pictures the more I want you to build me my next bass, I might pluck up the courage to ask you about prices etc one day!

Matt
[/quote]

Don't hesitate.
It's brilliant to have a 100% customisable bass built to look, and have every feature you've wanted.
Andy is a gent. Very accomodating, and very knowledgable.
It's amazing to see it all "come to life".

Andy,
Know what you mean about generous fingerboards, the pau ferro i used last must have been nearer 10mm.
Anyhoos..
How do you do the neck angle to get the strings to the bridge height without a 'flying' fingerboard?
Ian
PS looking great BTW :)

Oh i think i get it now (Can't see the neck/body join in the photos).

Ian again

Edited by scojack

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1448284670' post='2914121']

Don't hesitate.
It's brilliant to have a 100% customisable bass built to look, and have every feature you've wanted.
Andy is a gent. Very accomodating, and very knowledgable.
It's amazing to see it all "come to life".
[/quote]
[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1448285189' post='2914127']
You'll both make me blush....but keep building up the courage, Matt :)
[/quote]

the only thing holding me back is the fact that I'm broke at the moment, I've commissioned a custom build before (my letts 5 string) so I know how fantastic it is to get exactly what you want but I totted up the bridge/tuners/pickup and preamp costs and I can't afford them, let alone the wood and the other bits and pieces (fretwire, truss rod etc)

but I've got a spec developing in my head and hopefully once Christmas is over and I've bought the new tyres for the car I'll have some money spare for another bass. as soon as I do then i'll be sending that email!

Matt

No problem, Matt.

As far as I know, I'm not going anywhere, so I should still be here :D

Andy[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1448288682' post='2914158']
How do you do the neck angle to get the strings to the bridge height without a 'flying' fingerboard?
Ian

Oh i think i get it now (Can't see the neck/body join in the photos).
[/quote]

I think you're probably already there, Ian, but in case any other readers are wondering the same thing, this is the joint (prior to 'flossing' of the mating faces)

Basically, it's flat.

So, depending on the measured clearance of a straight edge from nut to bridge, then I can predict the action height and the adjustability range of the saddles:[list]
[*]If the predicted action is OK as it is, the fretboard will be flat across the joint. At the moment, I think that will do it
[*]If the predicted action is high, I can shim the nut end of the neck body join and just sand the resulting edge of the camphor for it to sit snugly against the fretboard
[*]If the predicted action is too low, I can shim the tailstock end and again sand the camphor for a snug fit of the fretboard against it.
[/list]
It's a bit like when you are fitting an acoustic guitar neck where, apart from very small tweaks by sanding the saddle, the bridge height is pretty much fixed.

Andy

Edited by Andyjr1515

With the fretboard now profiled, I checked and double checked the projected action height and I am sure it will be just right with a totally flat-angled neck.

So flossed the body/neck join and on it goes... :)

The pickups and EQ are on their way, so I will be able to do the routing of the control chambers and pickups. Then the fretboard can be glued on after installing the truss rod.

As always, thanks for looking

Andy

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1448558208' post='2916467']
Looking good! :)

For the uninitiated, would you mind describing what the "flossing" entails? I assume it's a technique for fine adjustment of the joint prior to joining?
[/quote]

Yes - it's seen more when you are building an acoustic and trying to get the neck heel butting up exactly to the guitar sides.

In my case, this joint needs to close up a bit:

All I do is put a strip of emery cloth between the two joint faces and pull - repeated until the neck face exactly matches the body face.

In reality, of course - as the only bits seen after the fretboard is on are the two small side joints - I could have just cut it away in between the extreme ends and nobody would know or care (no structural significance of this mating surface at all)...but I would!

With a few days of rain forecast, I have been sorting some jobs that I will be able to do indoors in the spare room ("Yes, dear, that's what I said...it's not a spare room, it's the guest bedroom. Building guitars? Well, I don't think you'd let me do that in the [i]guest bedroom[/i]..."). Re-wording it a little, I have been sorting some jobs that I will be able to do indoors in the spare room when Mrs Andyjr1515 is out.

I've got approval from FuNkShUi for the design of the headstock - a very nice indoor job. What he was aiming for was a non-symmetrical, medium-sized ebony plated shape that would 'fit in' with the vibe of the body.

This is the design we've firmed up on:

and this is what it will look like in proportion:

What it is trying to do is offer a passing nod to the shape of the body, with the scoop-out exposing the mahogany and walnut to balance the colours between the head and body. I know I'm somewhat biased on this, but I think it looks tickety-boo :)

Andy

The pretty appalling weather has halted major building work, but allowed me to plan some of the remaining stuff.

The pickups are going to be covered - I have enough camphor offcut for one-shot at this...and if I bugger it up I'll pretend I wanted to do it in ebony anyway...

They are going to be symmetrical, sized to accommodate the P p/up:

The other thing I've done is double check the headstock with the Hipshots - particularly the Drop D tuner.

At first sight, it looked OK:

BUT, with the drop D dropped, this didn't leave me with enough margin for error in terms of potential tuner clash:

Good job I checked! But no problem and easily solved, especially as I haven't cut any wood yet!