Why become a member? ×

Single Cut Camphor and Alder PJ

Andyjr1515

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1445006375' post='2888127']
Looks cool! Makes me think Beluga whale. :P

Obviously not my bass, but I would say that right where the top horn meets the edge of the neck, I feel like the line could be curved back just a little bit, to point straight at where the bottom horn meets the neck? Although, this could well enter more realms of accidentally imitating someone's design!

What are your plans for the neck heel?
[/quote]

I see where you are coming from, Bryan. I'll bounce that off FuNkShUi.

The neck heel will probably be similar to my latest bubinga build:

...but again I'll make sure FuNkShUi is happy with that.

Edited by Andyjr1515

OK - we're away....

A decent bit of progress today, getting some thicknessing and bandsawing done in my outdoors workshop before the forecast rain arrives!

First, got the main routing template for the body outline cut:

With the bandsaw handy, I cut my 1-piece lump of alder into two (yes, I know...but that way I know it's going to match in colour and grain type either side of the through neck :D ).

Then got out my treasured Makita thicknesser and planed the alder down to 32mm:

Next was a quite exciting bit. The camphor needed to be brought down from c 17mm to 10mm. In doing so, it takes off the 'oxidised' layer and exposes the true lovely beneath. I'd been saving this lovely piece of wood for a special project...and this is it! :D :

Would you believe that even this shot goes nowhere near just how stunning the patterns and colours are!

The neck and fretboard wood is on order and should be with me next week. In the meantime, I will be starting to bandsaw and rout the body shapes, weather permitting :rolleyes:

Andy

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1445618973' post='2892903']
That grain is lovely.

What band saw do you have? Out of interest
[/quote]
Hi, Myke

It's the (probably) cheapest bandsaw on the market - a Clarke one from Machine Mart. I think it was around £120. I have broken one or two blades with the thicker harder stuff, but main thing for me is that it is portable!

I've built about 8 guitars using it so far. Happily I've never used a good one so it still seems fantastic to me :lol:

The weather was kind this morning so a bit more progress :)

I squared up and straightened the mating faces of the camphor and glued it.

Here it is in the sash clamps...I'd just wiped the excess glue off with a damp cloth and just look at that figuring! B) This is pretty much the colour and effect it will be when it's sanded and finished :)

Close up, there's quilting and bird's-footing and all-sorts going on!

I also cut the alder blanks with my dinky bandsaw, ready to glue to the neck when that has been glued together.

Must remember to order the separating dark veneer just in case the progress spurt continues!

Andy

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1445620105' post='2892914']
Hi, Myke

It's the (probably) cheapest bandsaw on the market - a Clarke one from Machine Mart. I think it was around £120. I have broken one or two blades with the thicker harder stuff, but main thing for me is that it is portable!

I've built about 8 guitars using it so far. Happily I've never used a good one so it still seems fantastic to me :lol:
[/quote]

As long as it does the job! It's nice to know you don't need hugely expensive tools to make a fantastic looking instrument!

Thanks for the encouraging comments, folks. When it stops raining, I'll cut the camphor to shape, but then need to wait for the neck timbers to arrive before I can do a lot more. In the meantime, I'll do some trials with some of the off cuts of the camphor and alder and demarcation veneer :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

Inevitably, with this sort of fancy top thing - and veneering too - the really interesting features are always covered by the pickups, bridge or neck.... :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, trying the top in the various configurations, this is going to be the best looking orientation:

I tried the other 3 combinations, each one working out where the bridge and pickups will be, and this way round has the best 'flow' to it.

If the weather is dry this afternoon or tomorrow, I'll cut the shape out.

In the meantime while I'm suck indoors I'll be trialling the demarcation veneer options.

By the way, the fretboard above is just a bit of spare ebony I have in my stash to get the broad look right - the final shape for both style and maximum fret provision and accessibility will be something FuNkShUi and I will decide further down the building path

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1446132883' post='2897205']
:lol: The best bits always seem to land over a pickup .
Going to be killer Andy, i'm warming to that top horn too:)
[/quote]
Thanks, all !

I'm very excited about this build - I think it will look great when it's carved. FuNkShUi and I have agreed that, as well as the defined alder area at the forearm cutaway, the edge shape will be as option 'C' below:

That means that there will be the lighter alder visible for the whole body profile...the visual effect should be to reduce the 'bulk' of the top horn that makes so many single cuts look a bit heavy and out of proportion. I have clearly in my head what this is going to look like when it's finished ...and it's going to be LOVELY :D