Why become a member? ×

Weird...

4-string-thing

Seeing as we can't play at the minute due to our drummers broken wrist, to keep things ticking over we've organised a photoshoot with a photographer friend today.

Weird thing is, I'm actually getting quite nervous about it, much more than I ever get before a gig (pre gig nerves have never been an issue for me) It's not like anything hangs on it, it's just a way of keeping the interest going while we're on an enforced break for a few weeks. Even so, I'm getting jittery and the butterflies are starting to go a little bit mad!

Anyone else get like this in front of a camera?

Yes, I absolutely hate having my picture taken. No matter what I do, I always look like a three-hundred-year-old American Indian who has eaten a wardrobe made of crap tied up with about a furlong of pubic-hair rope. The camera does NOT love me.

Edited by discreet

Unless the photographer is already quite used to running band photoshoots and knows how to direct people they might well be just as nervous as you are. I'd hope they'd show you some of the shots as they're being made; this will hopefully give you confidence in their ability and approach and you'll like what you see. You'll probably find that the best shots are the ones taken towards the end of the shoot when everyone's relaxed and having fun :)

Edited by HowieBass

Nope, no nerves for me. I have an ego the size of a house so I love them! :lol:

I've done shoots with previous bands where a couple of the members got all giggly. We kicked them out of the room while the guitarist and I had our shots done. The result was that our shots were really good and we had dozens to choose from, and theirs weren't.

I've found that having an idea of what you want in advance helps - but that might be a bit late since your shoot is today. if you've got a couple of hours its worth a web trawl of your inspirations though.

The key for me is to get into stage mode and if you have an 'alter-ego' just let let that take over.

Enjoy!

I have weird on/off photogenicness (see avatar, it was on that day!). I either look like a supermodel or Dot Cotton in a blonde wig. My workplace keep wanting to do pics of me for work promo stuff and despite running around being an idiot on youtube or posing with an axe for band pics, i won't let them! I'll either look awful in pictires i have no control over or i'll look like Andreja Pejic and then when i turn up to do work stuff they'll be like 'who brought the moose?' :D

No, none. I`m not an oil painting by any stretch of the imagination, but for the scene I`m on my appearance fits quite well, so not bothered. The area I get not so much nervous about, but concerned about on photo shoots is I like to have good direction from the photographer. Makes it go much easier. Sometimes this just isn`t there, and that makes the session seem less cohesive.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1442662349' post='2868578']
A photoshoot when I was younger and fitter, just keep this image in your head and you'll be smiling all day!!
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that. True self sacrifice for the cause 😉

Edited by SICbass

Actually, I've just got home and I think it went quite well.... I'll post a couple of the results on here once I get them.

Paul was pretty good at making us all feel relaxed and had a great imagination when it came to composition and finding interesting backdrops etc. We didn't fancy studio shots, so we went to the area around our rehearsal room which is in a pretty run-down part of Leicester, so lots of graffiti, derelict buildings etc. Hardest part was not giggling and responding to instructions like "grimace a bit" and "look mildly despondent"

Probably ought to wait to see the results before I recommend him, but if anyone in the Leicester area needs any publicity pics, his Facebook page is Paul Reno Photography.

Ok, I can definitely recommend Paul Reno Photography if anyone in the Leicester area needs some pics doing! Even I look half-decent in some of them! I was quite nervous before the shoot, but he made us all feel very relaxed and comfortable within just a few minutes. We actually had a really good time and have more than enough quality pics to make sure it's going to be a fair while before we have to go through it all again!

Here's one of the ones he's sent me so far...