Why become a member? ×

Anyone played in a Big Band at all?

ChunkyMunky

I did for years as a drummer so worked quite closely with the bassist! From my point of view the key thing in big band swing tunes is the bass leads with a pushing walking bass line and the drums hold it back - it's difficult to describe but get it right and you'll know immediately.

Obv for the more modern arrangements that doesn't always ring true, but I don't think its possible to understate the importance of the relationship between bass and drums.

Yes, we had a great big band in Reading in the sixties. Lead trumpet was a young Derek Chops Watkins, later of James Bond fame. There's nothing like playing in a BB although of course it's an expensive animal to get paying gigs with. We had some original Buddy Rich charts, one of who's time sigs was 'orgasmo furioso'. When I queried this it was explained that it meant ' go like f**k!

It'll probably be a bit daunting at first but as you are a solo player you will probably get by with simplifying the parts (if necessary) and learning any solos.

What is their gig/rehearsal ratio?

I played with a band which was more of a hobby band and the players tended to meet just for their own pleasure (and a social beer afterwards). Gigs tended to be for family and friends, locally two to four times a year.