Why become a member? ×

Combo recommendations!

rjb

Okay, there have been other threads with this title, but I'd like the latest lowdown if possible. :)

I currently have an Ashdown 130 but would like something little better. Can't justify a full cab set up, but need some thing with enough grunt for a small pub venue/PA situation.

The Gallien Kruger MB150E looks good. Looking for a clear, modern, middy sound, not a retro "boom".

Cheers-

Edited by rjb

GK MB150E is not very loud at all and the tone potential is limited. It would be ok for small jazz gigs etc (I have just started using two of the MBX112 cabs with an SWR head for small gigs and am still not 100% happy with the sound but its early days) but if you are playing with a loud drummer, it won't compete.

If you are set on one, try it out first. Otherwise, I would recommend a s/h Eden Metro (£650?). I use mine on all the louder gigs I do and it is a monster. Heavy to lug around but you'll know how you feel about that.

In my honest opinion it has to be a Markbass, either the CMD 103h or the CMD102p. Depends on budget and personal taste. I've owned both in recent years and in my opinion i would recommend you go for the 103h, it awesomely powerfull and capable of adding a second cab at a later date if needed. Seriously try this amp out, it will inspire you.

Hope that helps.

The Markbass CMD 102P looks very good, actually. Escpecially since it comes with a built in LittleMark II.

Cheers-

[quote name='uzzell' post='276903' date='Sep 4 2008, 12:43 PM']In my honest opinion it has to be a Markbass, either the CMD 103h or the CMD102p. Depends on budget and personal taste. I've owned both in recent years and in my opinion i would recommend you go for the 103h, it awesomely powerfull and capable of adding a second cab at a later date if needed. Seriously try this amp out, it will inspire you.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

That's a big +1 on the Roland DB700.
Great sound, this from along time former Fender Bassman, Orange user.
two programmable channels, (+1 more - manual setting), chorus and compressor.
I'm sure mine is rated at 300W, never had to use it over 50% on the master.
S/H £? I'm sure I saw one on e-bay for £250.
Bit heavy, cheap crappy input jacks are the only downsides
Nodd

Edited by Nodd

[quote name='johnnylager' post='277051' date='Sep 4 2008, 02:38 PM']My ABM 500 EVOII 2x10 combo with free 2x10 deep cab. 500 nicker to you son. Just what you need. One talentless owner.[/quote]
if i had the money i'd have it. and for half your budget you'll have something spare which is always nice and the 500w is more than enough for most gig situations
cracking bargin :)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='277051' date='Sep 4 2008, 02:38 PM']....My ABM 500 EVOII 2x10 combo with free 2x10 deep cab. 500 nicker to you son....[/quote]
If you like Ashdown this is worth checking out.

Lowfer's suggestion of the LM2 and an Aguilar 112 will be a great combination.

Chopthebass is selling a DB112 with a GK1001 here on BC.

If you're set on a combo, then a trace will do you right, but i agree for that kind of money a h+c makes much more sense.

I'd probably say again an old Trace cab, a 1x15" and a 4x10 is my personal reference, but there's pletny of size combinations out there. Brilliant clarity and low end but very punchy mids too, and they're built like big green carpet covered tanks, my combo's been dragged to every seedy pub in a 50 mile radius in the back of a citroen picasso, and ne'er a scratch. Don't get one if you have a cat though, mine's destroyed the carpet on one corner, and the entrie thing is covered in a layer of cat hair........

Head wise I can't help you, but to be honest I wouldn't say a trace, for that kind of money you can do better, eden, markbass, marshall etc. My dream head is a Sunn 0))), but each to their own