Why become a member? ×

The Book Of Souls

lancer

About half the songs grabbed me first/second play, a few on disc 2 didn't grab me immediately but that's usually not a bad thing, I find. Think I already prefer it to Final Frontier, which I found a bit patchy (by Maidens lofty standards!). So gladthe guys are still putting out quality stuff.

I'm most definitely not a fan, and would struggle to name a single song. I've just started editing for an online music magazine, and just finished editing a review of this album. The guy admits to being a huge fan of Iron maiden, but only gives it 3 stars out of 5.

I used to be a huge Maiden fan... These days I find the unnecessarily long songs with choruses repeated way too often a little tedious to be honest. If they halved song length (and in this case album length!) and dropped some of the chorus repetition they'd be more interesting to me.

I'm sure all these songs are fantastic in an arena with 50,000 folk screaming the choruses back at you but in the house it's all just a little boring.

Still, overall, it's a better album than they've put out for quite a while. :)

OK have listened to this a few more times and have decided that I am not to keen on it there is a couple of good tracks but that's it IMO I just don't think Maiden gel as a band anymore despite having some of the best musical talent in the metal genre now. I much prefer the older stuff it seems that the newer records are just made for the sake of it but that is just my opinion

Some songs are too long, others aren't. On this I think Empire of the Clouds is a bit long. When the Wild Wind Blows i never cared for,but the resurgent Maiden has been a thing o f beauty over the last two decades.

The old stuff is great and has its place for sure, but I don't need to hear them over and over. Been there done that :D

[quote name='Trashbat' timestamp='1441616774' post='2860171']
I used to be a huge Maiden fan... These days I find the unnecessarily long songs with choruses repeated way too often a little tedious to be honest. If they halved song length (and in this case album length!) and dropped some of the chorus repetition they'd be more interesting to me.[/quote]

This, basically. Decided to spend my bus journey yesterday morning listening to it. Enjoyed the opener, then it just all got a bit dull. I'd love a few shorter songs in there to break up the long ones. That's what prevented me from even skimming the surface of The Final Frontier. Shame, really as I still love me some Maiden.

Agreed with the long songs being tooooo long, although I think on balance that I'd rather what they're doing now than them pumping out 4 minute 'Bring your daughter to the slaughter ' clones...!!!!
To me, they've earned the right to do what they want at this stage of their careers, the classics will always be there, hopefully always played live, and The fact that they're still around ( especially with Bruce) is a blessing for me, having grown up musically with Maiden I never would have even hoped that they'd be kicking about 30 years later!!!

[quote name='lancer' timestamp='1441490167' post='2859285']
What a fine album.
Anyone else listened to it yet?
Maiden back on form me thinks.
[/quote]

I have been disappointed with Maiden for well over a decade now. It's all just "meh". Great live, but their albums leave me cold.

I listened to their "Speed of Light" single last week... meh.

But I can't help it, so I bought the new album anyway.

And I'm glad I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gas:

It's modern Maiden, without a doubt, but this is a fine album!!! Yeah!!! Shame the production is not that amazing. If this sounded like "Powerslave" I'd be dancing to this at high volume right now and damned be the neighbours! I'm moving in three weeks anyway! :lol:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1441578955' post='2860068']
I'm most definitely not a fan, and would struggle to name a single song. I've just started editing for an online music magazine, and just finished editing a review of this album. The guy admits to being a huge fan of Iron maiden, but only gives it 3 stars out of 5.
[/quote]

That's 3 more than I'd give their last few albums, and I am a Maiden fan! :lol:
So it's good progress ;)

As a slight aside, the t shirt for Book of Souls came up on my Amazon account as a 'suggested item', and I thougt I'd have a look - I like some of their shirts. The quality can be an issue though, so I checked the reviews, which are all good, but ......... Every single one is for a shirt in XL, or the majority XXL. Curious. What is it we don't know.......

I bought it, despite The Final Frontier and A Matter of Life and Death being a bit boring. I'm pleasantly surprised. I do like the new single, it's a bit of a stomper and great on a morning run. Some songs are a bit too long - Empire of the Clouds for example! But overall, best thing they've done since 7th Son in my humble opinion.

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1441877053' post='2862464']
I bought it, despite The Final Frontier and A Matter of Life and Death being a bit boring. I'm pleasantly surprised. I do like the new single, it's a bit of a stomper and great on a morning run. Some songs are a bit too long - Empire of the Clouds for example! But overall, best thing they've done since 7th Son in my humble opinion.
[/quote]

Agreed. And at first I didn't mind, but... yeah, I wish some songs were a LOT shorter...

Why is it mixed/mastered like that?

It's like he recorded an acapella album then someone said "where's the music Bruce?" - "Oh you want music do you, here have some generic maiden-ish sounding riffs but you can only have them on volume 1, I'm staying up here at 10".