Why become a member? ×

All the gear and no-eye-dear

MiltyG565

To be fair, if I was gigging bass regularly I'd probably take two. Not because of string breakages (though they're inconvenient) but because I once had the end of a nut snap off, leaving the E-string nuzzling the edge of the board in a frankly lascivious way. It's not because I'm a poser (which I am).

That said, for highly specific purposes and in preparation for my soon-come acoustic 'chick-bait' act I am amassing a veritable arsenal of acoustic guitars. There will be a guitar (and back-up) in each of the following tunings:

* Standard E (also used for drop D and double drop D)

* Open G

* DADGAD

* Nashville high-strung

* CGCFCE

This will total ten guitars in two on-stage racks of five, not counting a tenor banjo, a mandolin, an auto-harp and an Appalachian dulcimer (each with its own back up).

It may also be the case that I commission a [i]fabulously[/i] expensive blinged-to-the-nines jumbo with S K A N K D E L V A R in mother of pearl letters along the fretboard. Thusly equipped I shall pose and sashay and swoop and randomly point at people in the audience and smile as if I know them.

It's stagecraft, you see. :mellow:

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441552093' post='2859727']
Thusly equipped I shall pose and sashay and swoop and randomly point at people in the audience and smile as if I know them. It's stagecraft, you see. :mellow:
[/quote]

You forgot waving at the roof to make it look like your audience stretches for miles backwards and upwards :lol:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441552093' post='2859727']It may be the case that I commission a [i]fabulously[/i] expensive blinged-to-the-nines jumbo with S K A N K D E L V A R in mother of pearl letters along the fretboard. Thusly equipped I shall pose and sashay and swoop and randomly point at people in the audience and smile as if I know them. It's stagecraft, you see. :mellow:[/quote]

Pfft - who do you think you are, this bloke?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1441554154' post='2859745']
I have two towels.

This means when one is damp I can bring the dry one into play (that is not a euphemism) and of course after they are laundered I can fold both of them, thus providing some meaning to my pointless existence.

Are more than two towels necessary......?
[/quote]

Face towels, hand towels or bath towels? Lateral, longitudinal or napkin folds?

My rule of thumb is to have a ratio not exceeding 6:4:2, always presuming that one has a back up towel for each one in use. A cursory review of that ratio suggests an absolute minimum of twelve towels per person, hence 28.8 towels per average household of two adults and 2.4 children.

So, yes, more than two towels are necessary. How you fold them is a matter of personal preference. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441554548' post='2859748']
Face towels, hand towels or bath towels? Lateral, longitudinal or napkin folds?

My rule of thumb is to have a ratio not exceeding 6:4:2, always presuming that one has a back up towel for each one in use. A cursory review of that ratio suggests an absolute minimum of twelve towels per person, hence 28.8 towels per average household of two adults and 2.4 children.

So, yes, more than two towels are necessary. How you fold them is a matter of personal preference. :)
[/quote]
Too much information, I wish I had never ventured onto this thread. Did I mention I'm throwing in the towel?

Edited by yorks5stringer

I take two basses to my gigs, one fretted, one fretless. Would your average punter notice if I only used the fretted where the fretless would be far better suited? No, but it gives me pleasure to play what I (or the original artist if it's a cover) think is appropriate for said ditty. Do I take expensive gear? Yes, because having something that I love the tone and feel of just for home use only and taking something 'inferior' to said gig seems, to me, a bit like a child having toys and never playing with them. My instruments were meant to be played and, I think, heard by others. I know there are many who just don't feel right or 'safe' about taking, for instance, their Fodera to the Dog and Duck for fear of damage and/or theft and I completely understand that. For my part, however, I'm willing to take that chance and don't give it a second thought because, if I did, it would affect my performance and then I wouldn't enjoy playing my pride and joys. I know others can't do this and and would just worry all the time and fair play to them, hopefully they get enough joy from their instruments playing them at home, rehearsal or when recording. Am I pretentious for taking my nice gear out to gigs? I don't think so, for I am not pretending to be anything or anyone but me. If people think that I'm showing off, well standing on a stage playing to an audience IS showing off, to a degree, but I'm not showing off through my use of certain gear. I've bought all of my gear because it gives me pleasure and I hope it does the same for the punters. If they judge me by gear alone (either positively or negatively) then they plainly aren't there to listen and watch, but there just to evaluate the world by their rather, if I might say, sad parameters.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441542023' post='2859625']
All this "I bring two basses in case one breaks" and "I buy superior quality gear because it's more reliable" just seem like mealy-mouthed justifications for what is simply an indulgence, although so many here seem to be unwilling to admit that's what it is. If you want to play at being a big-time rock star, if you do it as an indulgence, if you simply have more fun that way, just bloody well say it instead of getting all upset when I don't believe that you bring two superior quality basses to the pub "in case one breaks".
[/quote]

You asked a question, I answered it.
Your opinion is just that, it's not something that dictates what people should or shouldn't do and it seems to upset me far less than it does you.

Are you assuming that everyone here only play in pubs?
There are well paid playing opportunities out there that don't involve pubs and, once you start down that route, you lose the whole 'ce'st la vie' attitude pretty quickly or the work dries up.

I've been doing this for almost 36 years now and it's not dried up, so two quality basses for me every time. :)

I don't suppose this is the right time to mention that I also take a spare amp head as well is it..? :lol:

And I'm back in the room...

A whole load of points have been raised, so here's my justification / position to explain slightly further what I said earlier...

Reasons I take two basses to the Paul Henshaw gigs...

I play my basses like I hate them. I play hard so no matter how reliable / well built / expensive my basses are the possibility exists that things might fail. So far it's only been strings at gigs but I like to be prepared. I have had two machine heads fail on my cheap-ish Crafter acoustic bass and one on my Warwick Streamer Stage I. I can't carry two of all my equipment, but guitars, leads and strings are guaranteed.

Reasons I will take two basses to the Ludovico gigs...

Different tunings is the requirment...and to be a flash so and so. It's a rock band after all and my ego demands that I play up to that stereotype!

I take two basses as although I haven't had one fail, I have had friends who have. Doesn't matter if it is the most expensive or cheapest bass going, they all use simple mechanical components that do break or come unattached. And it is no effort to take two basses (I tend to not take one out of the car, but it is there in case I need it).

As to basses sounding the same, mine all sound very different, and also play different. But I still take the one I feel like playing most at the time.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1441557868' post='2859801']
Are you assuming that everyone here only play in pubs?
[/quote]

Not in the slightest. I know there are many professional musicians here. I also know that many are Average Joe 9-5, and play in pubs at the weekend. I think many of them are perfectly happy playing in pubs at the weekend, and working during the week, and wouldn't feel bad about not getting more professional gigs than the local pubs. Those are the guys that I was truly asking.

Being honest with you all, I can recall two failures with my own bass. I broke a string once - it was ancient and I was treating it like a punching bag. And the battery once died during practice, although I hadn't changed the battery since I bought the bass, and always have a battery with me after that. Both caused my naivety, really.

Edited by MiltyG565

Likewise I always take two basses and two amp heads. Two bases covers breakdowns no matter how unlikely and also allows me to have one in different tunings if needed. My spare amphead has helped out on three occasions.
I dep regularly in function bands. One in particular uses me regularly as they like the fact I'm always well prepared. Occasionally I play pubs and I still take a spare bass and head. It's just good practice.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441560131' post='2859830']
Being honest with you all, I can recall two failures with my own bass. I broke a string once - it was ancient and I was treating it like a punching bag. And the battery once died during practice, although I hadn't changed the battery since I bought the bass, and always have a battery with me after that. Both caused my naivety, really.
[/quote]

Now imagine that happening at a function where you've got £400 as your cut.
Stop playing and muck about changing a string, scrabble about looking for a screwdriver so you can change your battery?

We spend hours and hours of rehearsal time to make things slick and professional from a performance perspective, it makes perfect sense to be able to treat unexpected glitches in exactly the same manner.
After all, the audience/client is there to see us perform, not get a ring seat view of crisis management. :)

As for your specific issues, batteries are easy.
I always have a spare but I never end up using it - my batteries get ditched after 3 months regardless of condition.

I can count on one hand the number of strings I've broken in 35 years, but that's still too many to comfortably ignore.
I can change basses in just under 5 seconds, I can't change a string that quickly.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1441563232' post='2859861']

After all, the audience/client is there to see us perform, not get a ring seat view of crisis management. :)

[/quote]There it is, in a nutshell. From the Dog and Duck to the Albert Hall, punters are punters and they want the entertainment they came to see/hear. I saw Steve Hillage back in the 80s and the 2nd guitarist's amp packed up. Steve did his best to entertain us whilst the problem was sorted, but it was frustrating, had there been a back up, there'd have been little or no problem.

I find it quite interesting that lots of people think it necessary to take a spare (quality or otherwise) bass to a gig, but very few have said they take a spare amp. I'd be much more worried about an amp breaking than a bass (even one of my cheap, crap ones)
Especially as the advice dished out on here in every "which amp?" thread is always "buy second hand, you'll get much more for your money"

So, many of the people who only use expensive basses because they're more "reliable" quite often advise others to buy second hand amps...

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1441564407' post='2859879']
I find it quite interesting that lots of people think it necessary to take a spare (quality or otherwise) bass to a gig, but very few have said they take a spare amp. I'd be much more worried about an amp breaking than a bass (even one of my cheap, crap ones)
Especially as the advice dished out on here in every "which amp?" thread is always "buy second hand, you'll get much more for your money"

So, many of the people who only use expensive basses because they're more "reliable" quite often advise others to buy second hand amps...
[/quote]
I used to carry a spare amp, but thought it was over indulgent. i do have a sansamp so i would run that through a PA if i had a big failure

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1441565429' post='2859898']
Yes, there is the PA option, but if it's a small pub gig with a vocal only PA and you have a stroppy singer who isn't keen on putting a bass through his 12" cabs....
[/quote]
well if he wants the gig to happen he'll have to
also, quite often you share cabs with other people, so i'm sure if you're amp died one of the bassists would lend you theirs for a pint

Edited by RockfordStone