Why become a member? ×

1986 Wal Fretless MK1 on Ebay

CamdenRob

A nice MK1 from the US but with international shipping.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-Wal-Mk-1-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-Great-Condition-/191673776909?hash=item2ca0a5bb0d"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-Wal-Mk-1-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-Great-Condition-/191673776909?hash=item2ca0a5bb0d[/url]

Just under £3k with shipping.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1440767964' post='2853694']
Do you have to pay import taxes on second hand stuff you buy from ebay? I didn't know that...
[/quote]

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1440771215' post='2853734']
Anything, new or used, imported to the UK from outside the EU over £15 or gifts over £36.
[/quote]
Plus VAT, plus whatever handling charge the courier adds to get it through customs

Possible topic derail, but can someone explain to me [i]why [/i]VAT is payable on second hand goods returning to country of origin?

This bass was build in England, duty/VAT paid when it went to America new/2nd hand, why do authorities get to charge again when it returns? It doesn't make any sense to me.

If the guitar was sold direct to the U.S. there wouldn't have been any VAT duty paid, as it would've been for export and, therefore, exempt. However, if it was sold here and then exported 2nd hand, well it's a nice kerching for the Exchequer. To quote the Poldark novels, " 't ain't right, 't ain't fair, 't ain't proper!"

And if you have to return the bass you don't get any of those UK payments back, and depending on the U.S. state in question, and notwithstanding eBay regs, you might not get your courier fees back either. As you may have guessed, I've been on the wrong end of this!

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1441190622' post='2856735']
Time will tell Rob :)
[/quote]

Well it was worth the risk! Great seller, very helpful and up front, great comms and a fantastic bass for less than it would have cost me through a UK dealer for sure, even with overheads. I'll post better pics when I have time. although even in this rough pic it looks rather lovely next to my '85.

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5208_zpsyu2ywtid.jpg.html"][/url]

I'm now selling everything I own to pay for it, and with perfect timing by DB has some potentially expensive issues also :rolleyes:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1441190527' post='2856734']
... so all in all it wasn't the greatest suggested purchase :blink:
[/quote]

I beg to differ Rob, many thanks for the heads up

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1443725364' post='2877247']
Wow! You did it, nice one. Lovely looking bass. Congratulations ��
[/quote]

Thanks mate, it was a little anxiety inducing to the point that the moment I received the customs invoice I went straight to the depot, paid and collected there and then!

Lovely lovely bass :)

Edited by Beedster