Why become a member? ×

Trebley/bitey drive pedal?

Patchbass

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1438857678' post='2838030']
I use a tube screamer type pedal in a blended loop for this. I've not tried the bass tube screamer but it would probably do the job
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply but I found the bass tubescreamer to be too buzzy for me and not bitey and growly enough, any other
Suggestions?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1438858209' post='2838037']
wow, wasn't expecting that, I'll have to try one!

tech 21 XXL can get pretty "bitey", or maybe a RAT but you've probably tried that?
[/quote] Yeah then again you could try it and love it as everyone seems to have their own ideas of bite etc. Haha, just wasn't for me, yeah ive looked at the fuzzrocious rat tail but it seemed too over the top, I may have another look at it. I'm more thinking of that crunchy JJ Burnel sound with lots of treble and growl

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1438866143' post='2838202']
Sansamp? I use the Para Driver and find that very nice for adding a bit of juicy grit.
[/quote]
I like the sansamp stuff but I don't want to colour my sound too much, im wondering if the w&c phat Phuk B will get me there? Ive also looked into the ray gun fx bass drive...

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1438860217' post='2838095']
Yeah then again you could try it and love it as everyone seems to have their own ideas of bite etc. Haha, just wasn't for me, yeah ive looked at the fuzzrocious rat tail but it seemed too over the top, I may have another look at it. I'm more thinking of that crunchy JJ Burnel sound with lots of treble and growl
[/quote]

Key to the RAT, for that kind of sound, is keep the gain low (around 9 o'clock) and filter around the 9 o'clock mark too. The "Filter" on the RAT's an LPF, so works the other way round to a traditional tone control. That often confuses people!

The Fuzzrocious has Hi/Lo saturation controls too, which I never found much use, so I'd just dime them if I were you. I've got a COG TK-421 (RAT clone) and can easily get a JJ type sound out of it, much more than any of my other overdrives or distortions, which include Tubescreamer and OCD-based pedals.

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1438877979' post='2838367']

Key to the RAT, for that kind of sound, is keep the gain low (around 9 o'clock) and filter around the 9 o'clock mark too. The "Filter" on the RAT's an LPF, so works the other way round to a traditional tone control. That often confuses people!

The Fuzzrocious has Hi/Lo saturation controls too, which I never found much use, so I'd just dime them if I were you. I've got a COG TK-421 (RAT clone) and can easily get a JJ type sound out of it, much more than any of my other overdrives or distortions, which include Tubescreamer and OCD-based pedals.
[/quote]
Thanks a lot, that's a lot of help, im going to look into that then as I want a grand tarkin so I might speak to cog to get a custom version with them both in, cheers

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1438890653' post='2838510']
None of the above.

Only drives that get bitey or any with at least a 2 band EQ.

Only out the box bitey overdrjvd is the darkglass B3K and B7K. Surprised they've not been mentioned yet.
[/quote]

Hmmm, don't agree with the eq idea at all. A decent tone control or hpf/blend combo will easily suffice. Also, I've had the B7K and B3K, and I wasn't able to get anything remotely Blue Messiahs or Stranglers-esque out of either. They're a bit too modern rock/metal and Meshuggah-ish for that I'd say...

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1438896222' post='2838578']

Hmmm, don't agree with the eq idea at all. A decent tone control or hpf/blend combo will easily suffice. Also, I've had the B7K and B3K, and I wasn't able to get anything remotely Blue Messiahs or Stranglers-esque out of either. They're a bit too modern rock/metal and Meshuggah-ish for that I'd say...
[/quote]
Hmmm very interesting...

Aguilar Agro would work quite well for this. Also a Mad Professor Blueberry can get pretty gnarly.

The Darkglass B7K as an option will give you a whole host of sounds that are tweak able because of a good EQ section. The question for you is, Is the character of the sound fundamentally what you're after?

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1438929114' post='2838681']
Aguilar Agro would work quite well for this. Also a Mad Professor Blueberry can get pretty gnarly.

The Darkglass B7K as an option will give you a whole host of sounds that are tweak able because of a good EQ section. The question for you is, Is the character of the sound fundamentally what you're after?
[/quote] im really Gonna have to go try a b7k somewhere! Im not sure if it will be too mid scooped or fizzy!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1438946198' post='2838847']
Based on your initial brief, I'd definitely take another look at the Fuzzrocious Cat Tail (new name for the Rat Tail due to trademarks etc)

Si
[/quote]
So many options! I'll have a look! The hao rust ride seems hard to get hold of anyway...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1439062808' post='2839765']
Tech 21 Leeds. Very convincing JJ tone. I don't think a dedicated overdrive/distortion pedal will get you in the right ballpark.
[/quote] Thanks for the reply, mainly looking for a drive pedal though and don't want to overly colour my sound, im not looking to be exactly like JJ, just a similar bright grindy sort of drive