Why become a member? ×

The Beatles Curse

blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1441371569' post='2858377']
Hmm! Even my thoughts and personal tastes in music are dictated by a fan of advanced years of a band which barely lasted 10 years? :blink: [/quote]

Stu, you know better than I most bands don't last for 10 years. And for those of us that were there and those who are well versed in Beatles history know they accomplished more in 1 year (1964) than most bands ever accomplish, no less 10.

Blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441375143' post='2858432']
I can see why the phrase 'Not getting it' might rankle, there being an association with an unlovable individual. [/quote]

[i]"Not getting it" might not have been the best choice of words."[/i]

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441442366' post='2858874']

Ah, yes, Monty Python, The Beatles of comedy.
[/quote]
It would be interesting to see if blue "gets" monty Python. He was certainly there. I was there but I never got it. Maybe I'm thick and it all went over my head.

At the time (as a kid) I thought Monty Python was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now it barely raises a chuckle.

Monty Python, Derek & Clive, The Goodies, Kenny Everett, Morecambe & Wise, The Two Ronnies, Jasper Carrott and Billy Connoly were all people I got into as a lad in the 70s. Monty Python the ones I look back on with least affection.

If we're looking at the effect The Beatles had on popular music then I'm afraid we have to blame them, and only them, for the monstrosity that was/is Black Pudding Bertha. Mr Blue wasn't there so won't have got it, and he can think himself lucky.

If The Beatles were comedy in the 70s they'd have been Michael Bentine's Potty Time..

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1441442646' post='2858878']
It would be interesting to see if blue "gets" monty Python. He was certainly there. I was there but I never got it. Maybe I'm thick and it all went over my head.
[/quote]
Of course, Python were only influenced by The Beatles. They were comedy when The Beatles do it. No influence at all from The Goons, from Edward Lear, from Max Wall, from Round the Horne, from TW3, from Peter Cook, from Bernard Montgomery, etc. etc. etc. and just in case anyone thinks I am serious ... :rolleyes:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441444294' post='2858896']
Of course, Python were only influenced by The Beatles. They were comedy when The Beatles do it. No influence at all from The Goons, from Edward Lear, from Max Wall, from Round the Horne, from TW3, from Peter Cook, from Bernard Montgomery, etc. etc. etc. and just in case anyone thinks I am serious ... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

You forgot ISIRTA, no ISIRTA no Python,ergo no Beatles - fact!.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1441418773' post='2858799']
Stu, you know better than I most bands don't last for 10 years. And for those of us that were there and those who are well versed in Beatles history know they accomplished more in 1 year (1964) than most bands ever accomplish, no less 10.

Blue
[/quote]

All of the bands or artists I was or am into lasted far longer than 10 years, and were (or still are) playing live for far longer than 4. The aforementioned Chuck Berry & Bo Diddley, both of whom invented RnR between them.
The UK band "Slade", who I've mostly "grown out of" now and were largely but not entirely repelled by the US market but were huge on the East coast and some southern states, also influencing Gene Simmons & Paul Stanley to copy and exagerate their stage act, inspired Cheap Trick (it's even where they got their name) exceeded several Beatles accomplishments.
Elvis, another Beatles influence, was also recording and gigging before and AFTER the Beatles split.

But yet still - the bottom line, that you seem incapable of grasping, or allowing me to have by personal choice; is that in my - and that of many others - the Beatles music BORES me silly. I would not listen to them by personal choice.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1441418773' post='2858799']........those who are well versed in Beatles history know they accomplished more in 1 year (1964) than most bands ever accomplish, no less 10.
Blue
[/quote]

only if those "who are well versed" write fiction.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1441446306' post='2858916']
The UK band "Slade", who I've mostly "grown out of" now and were largely but not entirely repelled by the US market but were huge on the East coast and some southern states, also influencing Gene Simmons & Paul Stanley to copy and exagerate their stage act, inspired Cheap Trick (it's even where they got their name) exceeded several Beatles accomplishments.
Elvis, another Beatles influence, was also recording and gigging before and AFTER the Beatles split.

[/quote]They play a fair bit of Slade on Planet Rock these days and it's surprising how fresh it still sounds. Slade Alive still rates as one of the best 'live' albums for me. Great band, Merry Christmas Everybody notwithstanding.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1441451915' post='2858975']
They play a fair bit of Slade on Planet Rock these days and it's surprising how fresh it still sounds. Slade Alive still rates as one of the best 'live' albums for me. Great band, Merry Christmas Everybody notwithstanding.
[/quote]
I stopped listening to Planet Rock a while ago, strange considering I use a "Planet Rock" Marshall DAB radio. A long time ago I was Rick Wakeman's "quote of the week" when I pointed out that Charlie, Slade's sound guy used Genesis' "Turn It On Again" to test their PA as he reckoned it was the perfect track to test all the channels. Rick W loved my line "You ain't lived until you've heard 'Turn It On Again' at 26,000 watts".

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441457365' post='2859025']
... and I believe [i]Merry Christmas Everybody[/i] features John Lennon's harmonium (borrowed from the next studio) on the opening chords.[/quote]
True; MXE was recorded at the Record Plant in NYC during the summer of '73. Lennon was using the studio next door at the time & apparently at one point stuck his head in the door for a listen and said, "Good singer you've got - he sounds like me".
MXE was their third single to go straight to No.1 that year, with sales of half a mill in the first week. It has kinda eclipsed the fact that they had 32 other top 40 hits, but since it makes Nod the best part of a million quid a year in royalties I don't think he loses sleep over it.

[quote name='Colonel36' timestamp='1441455973' post='2859019']Here's Slade in ...............1969 covering a Beatles song.[/quote]
In between recording the track for their first ever album and making that appearance Slade had shortened their name from "Ambrose Slade" & had also had their heads shaved to try to latch onto the ska & soul tide that was doing well at the time.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1441462007' post='2859060']

Yep. Hearing Slade Alive genuinely changed my life. Got me into music in a massive way. First musical heroes.

Know Who Are, Know Where You're Going To..
[/quote]
Uh oh , I feel a 'my Slade curse' coming on ;)

On the other hand my Ambrosia curse is obvious for all to see :(

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1441463872' post='2859075']

Uh oh , I feel a 'my Slade curse' coming on ;)

On the other hand my Ambrosia curse is obvious for all to see :(
[/quote]
Well Nod is only one letter away from God, after all!

I might start up a Church of Slade. The 'Him Buk' would be fun..

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1441460600' post='2859053']
Can we all agree that Slade are goddamn brilliant. Please?
[/quote]

Some bloke here wants to ponder that a moment.........

........... whereas I could be biased having seen them 36 times over ten years. :P

Edited by Big_Stu

I'm currently a guest at Warwick Bass Camp, sitting in a room spending the day with the likes of Abraham Laboriel, Billy Sheehan, Lee Sklar etc, and thinking of this thread, asked them how important they felt The Beatles were to them and music in general? They all looked at me as if I was mad. A Laboriel said, "It all changed with The Beatles". That was pretty much the general consensus.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1441474282' post='2859134']
I'm currently a guest at Warwick Bass Camp, sitting in a room spending the day with the likes of Abraham Laboriel, Billy Sheehan, Lee Sklar etc, and thinking of this thread, asked them how important they felt The Beatles were to them and music in general? They all looked at me as if I was mad. A Laboriel said, "It all changed with The Beatles". That was pretty much the general consensus.
[/quote]

Interesting. I expect someone will now post something like:

'How dare Alphonso Johnson, Bobby Vega, Chester Thompson, Chuck Rainey, David Ellefson, Divinity Roxx, Frank Itt, Gary Willis, Hellmut Hattler, John B Williams, Kai Eckhardt, Lee Sklar, Rhonda Smith, Ryan Martinie, Stu Hamm and Steve Bailey imply that I can't have an opinion. They sound like my Dad.

'Who are these people, anyway, and what makes their opinion more valuable than mine? Seeing Crispy Ambulance at the Spurley Hey Youth Centre in 1978 was ten times more influential for me than the Beatles ever were'.

I love the internet. :)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1441470687' post='2859108']
........... whereas I could be biased having seen them 36 times over ten years. :P
[/quote]
I never counted how many times but I saw them when they were The 'N Betweens, when they were Ambrose Slade, as fresh skinheads called Slade (with the Northfield Mob after them because, of course, they weren't real skinheads) and actual Slade ... but many times around Birmingham and environs between about 1966 and 1972. Slade were a great band but I don't really get how you could be a Slade fan and not get The Beatles unless it was merely a rejection on principle of the previous generation - which would not be unusual. I'd be extremely surprised to find Slade not being big fans of The Beatles.