Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

Lakland DJ4. Had one and hated it. Just no idea what all the fuss is about.

As for the side LED's arguement. Yes, there is a pose factor attached to them, but I know how useful they are as well on a poorly lit stage and it annoys our guitarist that someone else is stealing his limelight :)

+1 on MIA Fenders. For the money, very overrated. Every one I have played has had a shocking factory setup.

New Trace Elliot amps and SWR Redhead combos. Disgustingly over priced for what is a very mediocre sounding amp.

Graphite necks. Ewwwwww.

SR5 B strings. Parrrrrrp.

[quote name='V4lve' post='592706' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:27 AM']And singers who are clearly not American singing with an American accent (or strange hybrids thereof).[/quote]

Errrr bit OT there .... unless they are bass players.. Phil Lynot?
Certainly Sting, Macca and Mark King don't do that ..
Any other lead singing bass players who are mid atlantic?

Fretbourd LED's, I think its possibly the most attention seeking thing a bass player can do! Rick's, dont like them, cant see the appeal.

Fenders, I absolutly hate these things. Ive never played a Fender that feels nice to play, they sound ok but just feel horrible.

Ill agree with the point from the off, Ashdown. Ive never been able to get a usuable sound out of them!

Dont hate me for voicing these!

Dan

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='592653' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:38 AM']Maybe they're limiting the market to keep the new prices artificially high? The thing that doesn't surprise me any more is the amount of high profile indie bands that have Rickenbacker endorsements; there's loads of the f***ers using them.[/quote]

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='592714' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:37 AM']+1 I'm building up a healthy dislike of Ricks after looking for one for under a grand for over a year. There is just no way I would consider spending more than that on a bass especially when you consider what else you can get for that money. Just a pity that I'm playing Lemmy basslines though !!![/quote]

[quote name='OldGit' post='592664' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:54 AM']Stylish though :)[/quote]

This is the problem with Rickenbacker - the likes of Lemmy & late '70s post punk players (where a lot of current indie styling is coming from) would have bought their Ricks when they were seen as a decent workhorse bass in competition with Fender. The Fender US standard series are now around £900 new, but a new 4003 is nearly twice that & I can't see how they can justify the price tag. They [u]are[/u] beautiful instruments, but the company are riding the wave of trendiness while strangling supply, to the point that players are losing interest. Not a good long term strategy...

The thing I don't understand is why the company haven't gone down the licenced quality copy road - they'd clean up!

I've never been able to get on with Warwicks or Spectors, everything on them feels to small and bunched up, like the body is tiny and doesn't sit well on my leg. And then the pick-ups are border-line touching the strings is just uncomfortable for my picking hand. They just annoy the life out of me haha. Plus real basses are big :)

[quote name='bentdice' post='593188' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:24 PM']This is the problem with Rickenbacker - the likes of Lemmy & late '70s post punk players (where a lot of current indie styling is coming from) would have bought their Ricks when they were seen as a decent workhorse bass in competition with Fender. The Fender US standard series are now around £900 new, but a new 4003 is nearly twice that & I can't see how they can justify the price tag. They [u]are[/u] beautiful instruments, but the company are riding the wave of trendiness while strangling supply, to the point that players are losing interest. Not a good long term strategy...

The thing I don't understand is why the company haven't gone down the licenced quality copy road - they'd clean up![/quote]

I always thought that the Rickenbacker was a 'love it or hate it bass'. A very much different interpretation of the electric bass than Fender, which some see as a good thing and others see as pointless. Personally I think that they are amazing basses when in the right hands (not crappy indie bands that have money or endorsements). Nobody else really does the Rickenbacker bass, while there are loads of high-level (and budget) Fender clones about, so in that sense why shouldn't they charge a bit more, it is a unique bass and I havn't really come across a bad Rickenbacker as much as I have dodgy Fenders (US delux stuff too).

I also wouldn't like it if Ricks became as numerous as Fenders on stages around local scenes. I like it that Ricks are a bit more difficult to find than a P-bass covered in stickers played badly with a pick. If Rickenbacker lowered the price or started to produce Squier-level copies, then even more trendy indie bands would end up using them, which actually annoy me more than now. By the way, I bloody well love Fender basses!

Back to bass things I find to be overrated, ummm I'm wasn't exactly blown away by a Sandberg bass I tried, it was the California J, and the neck profile for some reason just seemed a tad chunky for a jazz-style. I also miss the lack of dots or markers on the fingerboards, though more for aesthetic reasons rather than need of help navigating the neck! Horses for courses I know, but I did expect a little bit more as I generally get on well with Fender-style basses.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='592701' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:22 AM']Valves and "tried and tested gear" are over rated. Digital amp modelling can replicate some of the most intricate of tones, it's almost a miracle, and yet without even bothering to open their ears and listen, half the gear-buying public immediately shout "NOTHING WILL EVER SOUND LIKE MY FENDER THROUGH AN ALL VALVE AMP".[/quote]

In the studio yes, but you find me a local venue engineer who has the gear to make a digital amp sound good against valve amps. I must say I am entirely of the opinion that nothing will ever sound like my Fenders thru my SVT. One mans tone is another mans nightmare.

The MESA/Boogie rectifier range. I know its guitar gear but f*** me do these things annoy me. I am the bass player, I will deal with subsonic frequencies thank you very much. You just try not to get lost in the mix next to the other guitarists 30 watt orange. Thank god he saw the light and bought a JCM

[quote name='pietruszka' post='592770' date='Sep 8 2009, 11:50 AM']Fretbourd LED's, I think its possibly the most attention seeking thing a bass player can do! Rick's, dont like them, cant see the appeal.

Fenders, I absolutly hate these things. Ive never played a Fender that feels nice to play, they sound ok but just feel horrible.

Ill agree with the point from the off, Ashdown. Ive never been able to get a usuable sound out of them!

Dont hate me for voicing these!

Dan[/quote]

Backed as f***

[quote name='cocco' post='594672' date='Sep 10 2009, 12:25 PM']The MESA/Boogie rectifier range. I know its guitar gear but f*** me do these things annoy me. I am the bass player, I will deal with subsonic frequencies thank you very much. You just try not to get lost in the mix next to the other guitarists 30 watt orange. Thank god he saw the light and bought a JCM[/quote]

+1

I keep having to tell my guitarist to drop the bass on that bloody amp.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='592701' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:22 AM']Valves and "tried and tested gear" are over rated. Digital amp modelling can replicate some of the most intricate of tones, it's almost a miracle, and yet without even bothering to open their ears and listen, half the gear-buying public immediately shout "NOTHING WILL EVER SOUND LIKE MY FENDER THROUGH AN ALL VALVE AMP".[/quote]

Intersting comment. I will admit there are people out there who are stuck on old fashioned gear, and I'm one of them! :lol: I have tried the digital modelling stuff, and to be honest, I just get frustrated with a 1001 different settings, and I have seen others come unstuck with this.

I love old valve amps, as they're no mess, no fuss, just plug in and play, and instantly get a good tone, IMHO. I tried a lot of fancy all whistles and bells amps recently, and came home with an SVT Classic :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, it's all down to personal taste. I can't be bothered with messing around for hours trying to find "that sound", I'd much rather spend that time playing :lol:

No offence meant. I am receptive to trying out new ideas, so if you know of a digital modelling amp that's really easy to use, post it up, and I'll give it a go. :)

Any bass with a slab body.If I wanted something to cut into my arm,I'll raid the cutlery drawer and get a knife.
Ampeg amps.Big,heavy,expensive hernia creators.Embrace the digital age,people!Valves will go the way of the dodo!
Overdrive pedals for bass.Leave that to the g**tarists,please.

Massive +1's to Trace Elliot and Ashdown. Utter crap and stupidly over priced. Ashdown cabs are severely underpowered and I've had far nicer tones out of amps which cost about half the retail price.

Big +1 to Fender, yeah they're nice but you're paying at the very least £400 for the name on an American model and besides Leo Fender designed them as cheap guitars which everyone could afford. I get particularly bored when people start talking about vintage Fenders too. I've played a few 60's and 70's jazz basses and I could never ever ever justify spending that kind of money when I could go and buy myself a Fodera/F Bass/MTD/"Insert extremely expensive boutique instrument name here" for the same money!

Rickenbackers or Ricken Cackers as I've come to refer to them. Haaaaaaaaaate them! I've played 3 each in excess of £2000 and was massively underwhelmed by them all. Love the sound in the hands of someone like Chris Squire but they are horrible to play and horrible to look at.

Warwick basses are a little over rated In my opinion. I had a Corvette ProLine 5 and I've played a few Thumbs and Streamer Stage I's and II's. With mine I loved the sound but it was a real pig to play and it had this really nasty locking nut with razor sharp edges which would take chunks out of your hand if you played anything on 1st fret. Similar stories with all the others I've played. Warwick amps however are awesome and excellent value for money. My 4x10 and head have probably done around 6 years worth of gigs now and they've always been fantastic.

Please don't hate me for this! I think I'll lay low for a while now!

Adam

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='Josh' post='273821' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:53 PM']P-Basses: They're ugly, always have been and always will be, the tone is just heartless and does nothing for me, they are complete sods to play, uncomfortable in any position and just really really bug me.

Stingrays, Sterlings and Bongo's: The same as above, but I'll add that Bongo's really don't justify their own hype.

Rickenbackers: Awful instruments, the sound is off-putting, the looks are just nasty, and is the most uncomfortable bass I've ever played.

Ibanez's: Souless and boring, they just feel like they're created by robots.

Wals: The bass for a Druid. Killer tone though.

Peavey's: Just avoid.

Warwick Dolphins, Corvettes, Vampyres, Strykers, Buzzards, Infinities: The worst of the Warwick family.

Fernandes: The same as Ibanez but more expensive.

Vigiers: Ugly as hell but the tone is a suprise.

wow, why did'nt you just write 'i don't like basses'
Corts: Theres just nothing of worth shouting about there.

Traben: Just eww.

Thunderbirds, Explorers, Flying-V's, SG's etc... and all "Cool" vintage basses: They all sound and play horrible, everytime.

Ritters: Different but fail to amaze.

Anything else by Fender, besides the jazz of course ^_^ .

I know I've missed out a few somewhere......and I have:

Ernie Ball & Rotosound & Elite Strings: Just can't cut it on any bass.

And boiling strings does next to bugger all IMO.[/quote]

[quote name='OldGit' post='592411' date='Sep 7 2009, 08:08 PM']ha ha YMMV but I never look a the front markers on my basses, well not when I'm playing them anyway. The side LED's are subtle but still let me know where I am starting a toon when I'm playing in the dark..

So my nomination, that I may have made before on this vry long lived thread, is front LEDs: totally useless unless you are Mark King or The Hamsters doing ZZ Top where the purpose seems to be for posing and getting the audience to go "ooooooooohhhhhh"[/quote]

When I ordered my Status, I asked Dawn to get Rob to omit the front [i]markers[/i] Did I want LEDs? For HOW MUCH? No thanks.
Of 14 instruments, 6 of mine have NO front markers, and I don't find it a problem. It cleans up the appearance of the bass IMO

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='610019' date='Sep 27 2009, 02:45 PM']When I ordered my Status, I asked Dawn to get Rob to omit the front [i]markers[/i] Did I want LEDs? For HOW MUCH? No thanks.
Of 14 instruments, 6 of mine have NO front markers, and I don't find it a problem. It cleans up the appearance of the bass IMO[/quote]

and has the added benefit of confusing guitarists trying to follow your fingers :)