Why become a member? ×

Markbass cab advice

mrn1989

Im currently using a LMT800 head with x2 102P (2x10 Traveler) cabs and would like a little bit more thump but don't want to go up to the bigger 1x15, so heres what I'm thinking.....

LMT800
2x10 Traveler (102P)
1x12 Traveler (121H)

Would swapping a 2x10 out for a 1x12 give me better lows?

I really do not want a 1x15" so no need to recommend it ;)

Current setup.
[attachment=196203:IMG_1348.JPG]

Edited by mrn1989

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436785766' post='2820654']
I would have thought so, but I'm following.
[/quote]

How do you find your Barefaced? Does it have an even spread i.e. lows and highs

Hard to say. I love it, but "The BigOne" also has a 6" speaker in there too.

I also have a MarkBass 12" combo. The combo has good all-round tone, it's zingier than the Barefaced, but still good low-down. I always find 10s too full of treble. That said Gary Mac's 4x10 MarkBass sound good live.

Maybe I should say; I'm a lounge-playing warrior. Not playing live. So "needs" can be different.

The other thing to watch is Barefaced and MarkBass have different tones. Neither are zingy, but others will know more about this. Lozz will be along later. He changed from MarkBass to Barefaced. I'm sure he'll be able to tell you more about this too.

I can't see the 2x10 being less in the lows than a 12". It all depends on your playing volume, but if you're finding 2x2x10s not enough in the lows (with appropriate EQing), I can't see a single MB 12" in a smaller box giving you what you need.

I'd also try not to think in terms of speaker diameter alone - I've had a BF 2x12" which had much, much more in the low lows than a 2x15" Schroeder I had.

I've had a MB 1x12, a 4x10, I've currently got 2x1x15s (the combo and extension speaker), and I'm using a Compact and a Midget (I used to have a Super 12 and a Big Baby 2).

210 over 112 for too.

This would be an example of where I'd run the 2x210's and expect the sound to 'bloom's somewhat.

I prefered the 2x210 sound to a 212 plus 210, marginally...and from my POV rather than the audience.
The 2x210 certainly didn't suffer from lack of low.

The other thing that comes to mind is that a lot of bass players put too much emphasis on 'lows' but
you'd have to hear in context to know who was one of them.

IME, bass is too bassy, about 9 times out of 10.. :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1436794114' post='2820779']
It's down to cab size rather than driver size. If you've not got the lows, try the 102 STD cabs. Bigger cabs = bigger lows with the Markbass cabs.
[/quote]

I was about to suggest the same thing. Using their front ported 4x10 I was getting terrifying amounts of bass! I use the sealed one now which is the same size and it's just perfect. Same huge sound, just a little tighter :D

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1436783498' post='2820623']

Current setup.
[/quote]

My practise rig (now live is Barefaced...) is a Traveller 112 and 115. With hindsight I'd have gone with 2 x 112. You won't need a 2x10 as the horn is the 12 is much nicer than the piezo in teh 10s...

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1436794114' post='2820779']
It's down to cab size rather than driver size. If you've not got the lows, try the 102 STD cabs. Bigger cabs = bigger lows with the Markbass cabs.
[/quote]

D'you know, this makes more sense than my whole ramble above. It was a busy day in work... :unsure: :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1436792423' post='2820762']
The other thing that comes to mind is that a lot of bass players put too much emphasis on 'lows' but
you'd have to hear in context to know who was one of them.

IME, bass is too bassy, about 9 times out of 10.. :lol:
[/quote]

I run my amp with the low bass cut on the EQ for just this reason, suits the rock/metal/punk we play.

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1436783498' post='2820623']
Im currently using a LMT800 head with x2 102P (2x10 Traveler) cabs and would like a little bit more thump but don't want to go up to the bigger 1x15, so heres what I'm thinking.....

LMT800
2x10 Traveler (102P)
1x12 Traveler (121H)

Would swapping a 2x10 out for a 1x12 give me better lows?

Current setup.
[/quote]
The larger Markbass 2x10 gives more low end. I use both larger and traveller 2x10 stacked, sometimes with bigger cab on the top to hear a bit more bottom end.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends what you mean by 'lows' and 'thump'
You should try and pin point what you actually want from them.

I had a pair of those and never wanted for any more low mid thump, and prefered them stacked vertically, which was a lot more clearer through the low mids to high mids.

I doubt that changing one for any other cab size (apart from something really huge) is going to make a real difference, apart from maybe some sort of pseudo belief it's changed from just thinking it's changed due to having a 15 or some such.

Edited by Prime_BASS