Why become a member? ×

Back up amp or DI/preamp pedal?

bonzodog

After reading the back up gear thread I have become nervous as I only now carry my Hartke LH500 to gigs (plus 2 cabs). I used to have an old spare amp but it packed up a while ago and wasn't worth fixing.

The general feeling on that thread was just to take a DI box as back up for an amp. However in my band we only use a vocal PA with a pair of EV ZLXp powered 12" tops. They are not budget speakers but also are not the best money can buy.
My question is if I did buy a DI box or preamp pedal (Bass attack for example) and in the unlucky event my amp packed up, would it be advisable playing my bass through a pair of 12 inch speakers. I know it would depend on how big the gig was as I am sure a small gig would be okay, but we do play a lot of medium sized venues and have to crank the volume of the vocal PA up.
I did post here recently about adding subs to our PA just for vocals and general feeling was that it wasn't worth it so I am not going to buy subs for the PA on the basis I might have to put my bass through it if my amp fails.

So question is would I be better getting a smaller back up amp to get through a gig than using a DI box into a vocal PA?

I have a budget of £200 for an amp so was looking at the TC BH250 or the Markbass Blackline MB250. As its a back up you may think its a waste as I may never use it, but as they are are small amps I can use them for rehearsals and home practise rather than the heavier LH500. I could buy a cheap SH amp, but I prefer to have the warranty and also credit terms.
My cabs are a TC BC210 and a TC Bc212

If i went for the cheaper DI/Preamp option I may look at the Bass Attack or the MXR M80 as I may want to add some dirt to some of our songs.

Would appreciate advice on which way to go.
Thanks

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1435593493' post='2810370']
Well the DI would get you out of a fix, no doubt about that. When I was in a gigging band that used our own PA all the time that`s the route I went down.
[/quote]

Cheers for the reply. Was your PA just a vocal set up with 12" tops though?

Many bassists gig 1x12 or 2x12 cabs so your PA tops should be able to at least give you some presence. I'd advise going for a more middly type tone though so as not to suck up too much of the power. I'm really not a fan of EV stuff but tons of mobile djs use them so they can at least handle some bass. If you have only got vocals in them they won't exactly be pushed too hard. As obbm says though some of the small amps will double as di and will also happily run your cabs. That would be my chosen route although I have a di pedal on my board which I use into my head anyway so I have that option too.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1435594331' post='2810391']
Cheers for the reply. Was your PA just a vocal set up with 12" tops though?
[/quote]

It was - never had to do it luckily, but we did put all instruments through it, albeit quietly, to get a better balance of sound. Never hurt the vox at all.
[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1435597375' post='2810426']
Don't forget that you can use small amp like BH250 or the GK MB200 with or without speakers so you have spare amp and DI options.
[/quote]

But given Daves answer here, well this has to be the one. Had forgotten that with these amps you can do both, so this has to be the winner.

I still use my Bassattack pedal all the time even though I'm not using it as a DI. I don't take a spare amp but haven't tried to put the bass direct through our PA yet to simulate an amp breakdown. We may have a gig coming up that is in such a small place that I may have to do just that to free up backline space, though in that circumstance we'll probably use a sub as well as the tops on the PA and sort out a crossover.

I Never go to any gig without two amps. Always one on top of the other, and as happened once not long ago, my main amp packed up, and my back up PF 500 was up and running in the time it took to transfer the speakon caple, power lead and guitar lead from one to the other...about 45 seconds. The sound was also set to the room as I always sound check both amps before each gig. To me, that peace of mind is invaluable, and you can pick a decent used 300/ 500 watt amp for a couple of hundred quid...the money you get from a couple of gigs... It's ok fannying about with the PA if your amp goes bang at the local boozer, compromising your sound, the bands overall sound, and also your credibility, its not really a big deal, just embarrassing, ( also takes more than 45 seconds and completely flattens the confidence of the band.) Now escalate this to a private function...wedding, birthday bash, Christmas or New Year party....Not good. Spend a small amount of cash on a back up amp and this potential problem is removed effectively and permanently. Just my opinion based on 35 years of playing...