Why become a member? ×

Yes - where now?

Bilbo

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1435779099' post='2812419']
wouldn't surprise me if Lee Pomeroy jumped on the wagon, he's been Wakemans touring bassist for years.
[/quote]I was listening to Wakeman on Planet Rock, when he did mention Lee Pomeroy. He tried to get get him to play on something he was doing, but he said he couldn`t. You have to book him at least a year in advance

I watched a vid on youtube last night of Jon Anderson on a solo tour, he introduced 'Time and a Word' as a reggae tune he wrote in the 60's that the rest of the band point blank refused to do in that style!

Makes you wonder what else has changed.......

I'm a huge Yes fan but... now that Squire has gone... Yes has no original members. (AKA SugarBabes Syndrome) So the runners are:
Billy Sherwood - Does a pretty good impression of Squire but not sure of calibre of original playing for new material?
Tony Levin - Incredible player, most integrity as a monster bass player - odds on favourite
Jon Camp - Possible stand-by for Levin when he was sick on ABWH, great Squire fan and player
Jeff Berlin - Technically brilliant but with no idiomatic empathy and a disdain for Squire's lines (also bad moustache and fanny-pack, and attitude)
Miguel Falcao - Great YouTube Chris Squire enthusiast who captures lines brilliantly... It's where the clever money is...
Wild card - Celebrity bass replacement... Pino 'Tasteful to the point of bland' Palladino - no! We need Rickenbacker 'ice-pick in the forehead' bass tone!

Get Anderson and Wakeman back and it could work - Bruford out of retirement would be an impossibly exciting bonus...

• 2 weeks later...

The classic line-up of Yes would involve a permutation of the following who're still alive: Anderson, Bruford, Howe, Wakeman, White. You might get away with involving Tony Kaye and even Trevor Rabin.
Howe and White are in place. Anderson and Wakeman (possibly) would come back. To satisfy my personal credibility you'd have to have three of the core members.
The problem I have is that Chris was such a massive presence both creatively and artistically to Yes, and a legend with a bass that he leaves a hole greater than the 20% he ostensibly occupied.

Coming in late here but I think one aspect of this topic that maybe hasn't been mentioned is that, love em' or hate em', Yes are a genuinely [i][b]iconic[/b][/i] band in the same way as the Who and Queen are. Over the years I've seen Wishbone Ash live with only Andy Powell being the original member; 10CC with Graham Gouldman as the only original member; Budgie with Burke Shelly as the only original member; the Blockheads without Ian Dury and several versions of Dr Feelgood with no original members. Now all of the above are great bands IMO but I doubt they would stimulate the same level of passionate debate as Yes or The Who or Queen etc

My point is that if we really don't give a sh*t that Fairport Convention are still recording and touring as a five piece band with only Simon Nicol as an original member then what right have we to suggest that Yes should pack it in completely because of Chris Squire's sad demise?

I wholeheartedly agree that as fans of any band we have the right to express our opinions on any aspect of that band's activities, however no-one ever has the right to tell someone else when to stop playing. If the remaining members of yes want to carry on despite Chris Squire's death then it is entirely up to them whether they are doing it simply for the money , because they don't know what else to do with their lives, or any other reason. If, as a fan, you wish to express disappointment/disapproval at their decision to carry on then you can always do that by not buying any new recordings or going to see any shows.

A last note. My understanding is that Rick Wakeman has arthritis to a degree that makes it nigh on impossible for him to tour again. I admit I heard this from 'pub' sources so it may have been exaggerated.

A statement from Alan White:

[i]"It's certainly going to be hard without him, but he called me and asked me to keep everything going regardless of what happens. So absolutely we're moving ahead. I'm gonna do it for him[/i]

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1437581704' post='2827289']
A statement from Alan White:

[i]"It's certainly going to be hard without him, but he called me and asked me to keep everything going regardless of what happens. So absolutely we're moving ahead. I'm gonna do it for him[/i]
[/quote]Actually you can argue with that. With the utmost respect, where Yes go next has absolutely nothing to do with Chris Squire.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1437593514' post='2827460']
Actually you can argue with that. With the utmost respect, where Yes go next has absolutely nothing to do with Chris Squire.
[/quote]

Well I guess being harsh about it, Mr Squire can't do much from the afterlife if you believe in that sort of thing.

In every other dimension it has everything to do with him as the only original member. From now on in, unless they get JA back as an original, it has no legitimacy apart from the album to album authority on which individual members appeared.

Well let's get something clear: there is no afterlife.
If the remaining members want to respect Chris's legacy that's fine but 'dying wishes' can be a bit misleading.
Getting Jon Anderson back just to make it legit is rather sad, though I suspect he considers it his band and would probably do it.
Have a final all-comers farewell show and fold the band.