Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which beginner amp?

MMG

Just about to take up the bass, but don't have a clue about bass amps.

It'll be for home/practice use so something that sounds good at low volumes, around the £200 mark.

Was looking at the Blackstar BEAM which is marketed as a bass, electric and acoustic guitar amp as well as a Bluetooth speaker, or perhaps a Roland micro cube, but is there anything else out there?

Edited by MMG

Must it be new..? We have a flourishing Marketplace in this forum where may bargains are to be had. Where are you located (hint: would be visible if your Profile was completed... ;) )..? Maybe there's a BC member near you that could let you try out his/her amp(s) and/or help you choose something suitable..?

Nope doesn't have to be new at all - more than happy to go second hand if it gets me something better!

Looked at the fender rumble - would even a 15 be decent enough? In unlikely to ever be outside of the house playing, so want something that I can crank up to get the best out of!

If you aren't ever likely to be outside the house playing, I'm guessing the weight isn't an object for you?
If thats the case you could get some older Trace Elliot kit.
If I wanted a setup that I wasn't planning on moving much, that's what I'd do

[quote name='MMG' timestamp='1433711022' post='2793352']
Nope doesn't have to be new at all - more than happy to go second hand if it gets me something better!

Looked at the fender rumble - would even a 15 be decent enough? In unlikely to ever be outside of the house playing, so want something that I can crank up to get the best out of!
[/quote]

The Rumbles are loud for their size.

I use a 40w Meridian guitar amp at home. It's more than loud enough and doesn't produce so much bass that it's going to annoy the neighbours. In fact it's more volume than I need. I've never felt the need to buy a bass amp for the house

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Roland 30W Cube for home practice,(cost me £50 on ebay[b], nearest first, collection only[/b], and was practically new, still had the shop price £129 sticker on it), but would be looking for something 2nd hand, Laney or Peavey 300W if I needed a cheap gig-able first rig. Ashdown can be found providing 2nd hand bang for buck too. Like the Trace Elliot gear mentioned above, weight will be the trade off. I once had an Ashdown 4x10 300w combo that nearly killed me getting it up the stairs to my flat.

Edited by Shambo

What rumble did you go for?

Also considering the Yamaha THR10, as I also have an electric and acoustic guitar which I don't have an amp for at the moment.

I definitely won't be gigging with my first amp!

There's a lot of variety in tones that folk here like. Do you like deep tones or a more metallic clank? It's important to get it right if you're going to keep the enthusiasm going to practice.

As Dad says, if you tell us your location you might get invited to try some out.

[quote name='MMG' timestamp='1433711022' post='2793352']want something that I can crank up to get the best out of!
[/quote]

That works for guitar amps (if you [b][i]want[/i][/b] distortion of course!) but with most bass amps you are better getting the biggest amp you can afford and running it at levels way below its capabilities... Not only does it take a lot more power (watts) to amplify bass signals, but to most people's ears bass sounds better with less distortion. YMMV of course! :)

A bass combo of around 30-40 watts won't be anywhere near as "loud" as a guitar amp with similar power.

Ended up with a Yamaha THR10 - amazing little piece of kit and more than loud enough for home use.

Just for anyone else looking for something similar - tried out the Blackstar Beam alongside the Yamaha and it was nowhere near impressive, and a lot more complicated.