Why become a member? ×

whywhywhyGAS?

LukeFRC

So I spend a year and a bit trying bass rig stuff, swapping and changing and then score an awesome green tolex mesa walkabout which sounds amazing and is perfect for me....
then I look in the "for sale section" for parts for a bass I'm doing up...
within hours I'm looking through the basses for sale to see what I can find. (tbh a bitsa isn't a cheap option) - oh but what if I sold this bass too - then I could afford that....

then I'm looking through the amps for sale...
and then someone who had an amp I was trying to buy gets in contact and offers me it...

and suddenly from having the amp I've been looking for, in a form factor that suits me I'm thinking of swapping and changing.

Madness I tell you.

Why GAS?

Millions of years of evolution as hunter/gatherers. Our advantage as rather weak, rather slow moving, large mammals was adaptability and foresight. Picking up stuff that might come in useful later, gathering more than our immediate needs and trading our tools for something slightly better whist hanging on to the old ones as long as possible could make the difference between life and death. People with those traits survived and the feckless died. Now we can't help ourselves, it's why my wife has 60 pairs of shoes but only two feet, and why I bought a Thunderbird.

You did ask :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1433746564' post='2793470']
People with those traits survived and the feckless died.
[/quote]

Really? It seems every time I leave the house I'm surrounded by useless, feckless bastards! How did that happen?? ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433751257' post='2793509']

Really? It seems every time I leave the house I'm surrounded by useless, feckless bastards! How did that happen?? ;)
[/quote] thats more to do with where you live i think.

Working in a lot of psychology/therapy settings I am utilising learned theories to my challenges with GAS over the years. Rather than resist I am trying a harm reduction approach (harm to my wallet that is ;) ) so I shall allow myself to buy & sell still but in between keep my gear for longer periods...thus reducing acting upon GAS. Reduction not abstinence ;)

However just bought an acoustic Fender Kingsman.....er! 😂

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433751257' post='2793509']

[/quote]:D :D :D As ever Discreet makes me laugh out loud.

Without GAS many people would not have jobs, it may be a plot to keep folks employed, but it's a good plot. Remember, by having GAS you're technically being altruistic. :)