Why become a member? ×

NBD: Maruszczyk Jake 4 (P/JJ type)

mcnach

[b]edit: finally revealed, I edited the title - Maruszczyk Jake[/b]

This is just cruel...

I have received this a couple of hours ago... and it's just sitting there looking at me while at work. Unopened...

Edited by mcnach

I'm in a similar position; my package was sent to my work but I'm at home today. Colleague sent a teaser pic..
It's not a Godin btw
[Img]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/received_10153379227857720_zpsvu27pabv.jpeg" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1433331728' post='2790134']
This is just cruel...

I have received this a couple of hours ago... and it's just sitting there looking at me while at work. Unopened...

[/quote]

I am also at work, but mine has been opened and plunked upon. More later :-)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1433336293' post='2790180']
I'm in a similar position; my package was sent to my work but I'm at home today. Colleague sent a teaser pic..
It's not a Godin btw

[/quote]
Well it should be safe if he's guarding it at gunpoint, but couldn't help wondering WTF sort of office lets you keep rifles on the desk :blink:

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1433337066' post='2790191']

Well it should be safe if he's guarding it at gunpoint, but couldn't help wondering WTF sort of office lets you keep rifles on the desk :blink:
[/quote]

Haha. Just an air rifle stock being repaired. There is an eight ft boa constrictor in the viv on the opposite wall!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1433332235' post='2790138']
Ironing board?
[/quote]

You clearly know me and know the state of my shirts :lol:

(I own an ironing board, and a nice iron... which gets used about 5 times a year :P)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1433336384' post='2790182']
I am also at work, but mine has been opened and plunked upon. More later :-)
[/quote]

Dang! You beat me to it! :lol:

And?

Looking forward to the inevitable NBD thread :)

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1433338501' post='2790220']
I have no idea, but I have the same filing cabinet as you at work.
[/quote]

(turning around....)

But I don't see you? :o Are you sure it's the same???

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1433339203' post='2790226']
I would have had to open the parcel if it was me...would have sneaked an amp in with me in the morning too if I knew it was coming...
[/quote]

Well... as I was anticipating this moment, I prepared for it, and I have only about 15 left at work before I escape home.
Rehearsal tonight as well... I was planning to use my Precision on the Friday and Saturday gigs, and tonight I get to use the backline that will be provided on Friday at rehearsal... But... It would almost be insulting to leave the contents of that box at home. ;)

Well... I got home and unpacked it.

The ironing board came in a reasonable gigbag (it won't compete with my Fusion F1, but I'm sure I'll find a use for it), some tools in a pretty velvet bag (unnecessary, but I guess it adds to the nice overall cosmetics), and (terrible!) a booklet with a lot of drooling material and further info about what kind of custom work this company will do for you: everything you can think of! This is bad. It makes me want to design something really special for them to build! :lol:
But I'll resist for now...

and here it is... my Maruszczyk (spellchecker, go away!!!) Jake:

I forgot, it came with a nice leather strap too, as shown in the picture above. Really nicely padded... I'm not a fan of leather straps, I own a couple I never use... But this one is very nice. Another very nice touch.

Ok, a few pictures:

Although this was "custom", I didn't go for anything very extraordinary, at least visually.
It's essentially a PJ, passive, where instead of the usual J I have two J pickups in a humbucking configuration.

The zero fret is a feature of all Maruszczyc instruments. I always liked the idea.

I initially wanted a more yellowish finish, kind of "vintage" Fender, if you know what I mean. The neck is lacquered, gloss. I emailed back and forth about this... Adrian said it might be difficult to get the exact colour I meant and he showed me a picture of one of his yellow tinted necks. I felt it was a bit too much. It might have been ok, it's hard to photograph correctly and I've seen other instruments that look just right... but I played it safe and told him to not worry about it. The actual colour is more "alive" than the pictures above suggest. I should take pictures on a sunny day.

What I wanted was a PJ type, replicating in a way the neck of my Classic 50 Precision. This is considered by most people as "chunky" but I think it's a wonderful neck.
I specified nut width and depth at 1st fret, to get in the ball park.
The result? GREAT!
I love the neck, I feel at home instantly. It's a *tiny* bit narrower perhaps, but it could be my perception, as the strings are indeed closer together than on my Precision. You see, I indicated the width at the nut, but not the inter-string distance! The nut appears to be cut just as if it were for a narrower neck instrument (his stock Jakes seem to be about 40mm wide while the Classic 50 is about 43). Not a biggie, especially in a zero fret instrument! But I'm not in a hurry to change that, and I probably will leave it as it is. It plays beautifully, really comfy.

The pickups... I'm not so crazy about. They're just the standard ones, I decided to just go stock and see... and I'm not sure. But I'll give it a try before deciding to change them.
I had to play a little with the pickup heights to make it sound right to my ears... The bridge pickup was a bit overpowering. The output of these pickups is enormous, both of them! So I ended up bringing them down, away from the strings a bit, and angling them a little. Now they're more balanced, and with both pickups on it sounds pretty meaty, whilst originally it was too scooped. Usual Jazz bass tricks balancing the pickups.

The bridge humbucker is nice. It's my kind of sound: fat, good definition, lots of mids... this cuts through like nothing else. The neck pickup is ok, but when played against my Precision, my Precision wins, no question. It sounds ok, but it's a little dark. Now, I am not sure how much it is because of the pickup, and how much because of the position of the pickup. It's about 1cm closer to the neck than in a standard Precision. Adrian said it made little difference, but I'm not entirely certain. Again, I could have placed it anywhere I wanted, but in the end I went for their stock placement. It certainly is a Precision, no doubt... but it doesn't make me smile the way the Precision does. Still, early days. Let's try it with the band and judge then.

So... that's my Maruszczyk Jake 4!

It feels wonderful. It's very very well balanced, better than my Precision. Not particularly light, yet definitely on the light side. The build and finish is flawless.

2h till rehearsal! Let's get something to eat and take this baby out :)

edit - I forgot another feature of these basses: the angled headstock.It's is slightly angled, enough to do away with the string tree on Fenders and MusicMan basses. I don't have anything against string trees and I think that a straight headstock is probably less prone to damage (falling flat, hitting headstock first, etc)... Not a huge consideration, but there it is.

Edited by mcnach