Why become a member? ×

NBD: Maruszczyk Jake 4 (P/JJ type)

mcnach

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1433358098' post='2790470']
Very funky!

Have you taken the plastic off the PG yet? :-)
[/quote]

Not yet! :lol:

I didn't have much time before rehearsal tonight, so I didn't want to waste time (I like to remove the pots so that I can get to all the plastic). But it'll happen tomorrow.
How about yours? :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1433358594' post='2790476']
Really nice. The black hardware looks particularly nice. Is the body a bit more 'offset' than the P? I like it
[/quote]

I think the lower horn cutaway is a bit lower, yes, because of the extra fret.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1433359017' post='2790481']
I like the maple/ash natural look, the neck looks like a nice bit of quartersawn wood and it all looks very tidily built. If you gig it on Friday I might be around to hear it, though I think my Saturday gig clashes with yours.
[/quote]

I will most certainly use it on Friday, so if you're around you're welcome to lay your hands on it :)

Well, I had a 2h rehearsal tonight with the Jake.

AND I LOVE IT!!! :gas:

Very comfy, the neck is a little nicer than my Classic 50 even. I don't know what it is... I think it may be just as wide and perhaps a tiny bit deeper on the first frets, but further down is a bit shallower... I don't know, it is just a nicer profile than I expected. Very pleased with the result.

Sound-wise... that bridge pickup is a beast! I am still not 100% sure about the P pickup... but it sounded better than I expected after my test at home. They're not bad pickups at all. The P actually reminds me of the Wizard Thumper I used to have... I also felt it was a little scooped in the mids for my liking. I used mostly the P on its own, and sometimes both on. We have one song that calls for a bridge pickup funky kind of sound, and the bridge alone with the tone rolled off a bit was just perfect...

This bass is going to be used this weekend, for sure!

It cost just a little more than the Classic 50 Precision... and I was able to choose finish, colour, neck dimensions (and I could have changed a lot more things, like pickup placement of types of pickups... for not much more). These basses are fantastic value. I suppose it'll be harder to sell on than a Fender, if it came to it... but who in their right mind would want to sell it?

Also, I had not noticed at first that the headstock is slightly tilted back. Just slightly, enough to ensure a nice break angle over the nut. Nicely done.

I'm not in a hurry to buy another bass... but I suspect that I'd think of another Maruszczyc if I want something else. Highly recommended!

I'd have swung by your gig this weekend but I'm off up north but keep me posted when your playing again and I'll come have a listen. It's a fine looking bass and judging by the sheer quality of the two NBD threads these guys are worth checking out!

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1433369052' post='2790593']
I'd have swung by your gig this weekend but I'm off up north but keep me posted when your playing again and I'll come have a listen. It's a fine looking bass and judging by the sheer quality of the two NBD threads these guys are worth checking out!
[/quote]

They are!!

Next week we have a weekend off :), but we're back on Friday 19th, Whistle Binkies, midnight-ish till 2.30am. Come say hi if you can!

I played my first gig with it last night: I'm in love.
It's really comfortable, I love the neck (of course, I did indicate its dimensions... but it's still reassuring to find I didn't make a big mistake somewhere, as Adrian thought I was going for too chunky a neck at first and I had to convince him that I like it like that :))
Sound-wise... huge. It wasn't the best venue, regarding sound, and I used my Streamliner 900 into a provided 410 that was all lows and little midrange, so my experience *felt* good but I didn't hear it as well as I hoped, although outside at the front I was told it was good.

I went for their stock pickups and... I'm not convinced about the Precision one. The bridge JJ is good, meaty, fat, I really like it. But the P is a bit... wooly, a bit too scooped. It makes me miss the Classic 50 P-bass. So I'm definitely replacing that to see. I ordered already an Entwistle PBXN, the neodymium one. I installed one in a Squier Mike Dirnt and I like it very much, although it's not a "classic" Precision sound, it has good presence and sounds really good. I think it could be a nice match for the JJ.

I was meant to play it again at a festival today but the weather is being a dick, and the strong winds means it's been cancelled :angry: :angry: :angry:

The festival got cancelled, but an impromptu gig was arranged at another venue in town. It was touching to find venues offering to wake up their sound engineers and get a team to clean the place up quickly and to provide all backline just so that we could play :)
In the end we went with one of the smaller ones (we were not sure we could fill the bigger nicer one at such short notice), and we had a good turn out, it was good. I used the new bass again. This time with a Peavey 1x15 combo that had seen much better days in a very boomy stage... The sound was awful onstage. So, again, I did not have a good feel for the new bass onstage, but they tell me it sounded nice out front, so it worked... But, I'm really getting a little frustrated with the P pickup. It's going, for sure. I love the way the bass feels, and the JJ pickup is great... but I'm in a mostly P-mood, and it's not cutting it at the moment. So, it's back to the Fender until I get the right pickup for this bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah... but I used the MarkBass combo on Friday night and it was BEAUTIFUL.
No, the P pickup is still not my favourite, but the whole bass came alive... I rarely use the gear provided at venues, but just my luck that as I get my new bass my first gigs were without my own amps.

Awesome bass. I bought a few pickups to experiment now... One thing is sure, the double J stays. That one sounds great.