Why become a member? ×

How often do you change your strings?

Sarah5string

I guess to an extent it depends what you want.

On my P bass I like it to sound fairly 'dull'. I haven't changed the strings since buying it mid last year, dont intend to change them until they start visibly wearing (dull grey stretching marks over the most common notes).
On the Ray I like a bit of zing - so change maybe once every 6 months or so. BTW boiling never worked for me - anyone else ever found this work? - are the EB string wipes any good?. Also, if you've got a nice active circuit and don't want hyper zing you can usually dial back some of the high freqs on the EQ, then just change when they go 'dead' and lose sustain.

It also depends on what kind of sound you're after - for a brighter tone you need to change them more often because they dull over time, but for a duller tone worn strings are fantastic and may fit some styles better. My Hohner B2A Pro has had the same strings on since 1992! (i've been meaning to change them for the past five years but keep putting off buying new strings for a bass I hardly play!) My Squier J|P has had the same strings since 1999 but they sound thunderous and barky in the lows so I've just kept going with them. OTOH, I change strings on my stingray whenever I can afford to because I love the zinginess on it, which gives contrast to my other basses. For playing metal, a zingy trebly sound can be amazing, but it's an expensive sound to maintain.

Instead of just boiling strings, I put them in a pan of boiling water, and add a couple of tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda, it works a treat and they come up nice.

edit: I should really type faster!

Edited by jamesf

Whenever I buy a bass the first thing I do is change the strings - to Thomastik flats. It probably takes a couple of months to lose the new-string zing, but then they're perfect. Not sure how long they'll last as I've only been using them for five years, but I'll probably change them after about ten years whether they need it or not.

As you may have gathered from the useless replies you have received so far - its up to you to decide when to change them. If they sound too dull for your liking, or the intonation is off cos they have flatted over the frets (look at the underside of the strings where they touch the frets), change them. If not, dont bother.

Its purely a matter of choice, if you like the sound of new zingy strings then change them when they lose their zing, if you like the dull thuddy sound of a well worn set then dont change em! remember bass strings are great big thick cables and very durable, so to change regularly is not nessecary imo.

If you have two basses why not have one that you dont change the strings on and one bass that you do change them on, that way you have a bass to call upon if you want a mellow'd softer sound!

[i]another useless reply[/i]!.... roughly once a month for me...
I'm quite a sweaty bar steward... & play often...

When I was an[i] 'angry young man'[/i] :huh: , I used to break a lot of strings!... :) E's mostly!

Sometimes do the boiling thing ([i]with a bit of salt &/or vinegar![/i]) ...it gets the zing back but it never lasts as long as from new & they are a little more prone to breaking...

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='269901' date='Aug 25 2008, 11:30 PM']Sometimes do the boiling thing ([i]with a bit of salt &/or vinegar![/i]) ...it gets the zing back but it never lasts as long as from new & they are a little more prone to breaking...[/quote]

I prefer mine fried and find cheese and pickle a better flavour for adding. :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='269850' date='Aug 25 2008, 09:40 PM']As you may have gathered from the useless replies you have received so far - its up to you to decide when to change them. If they sound too dull for your liking, or the intonation is off cos they have flatted over the frets (look at the underside of the strings where they touch the frets), change them. If not, dont bother.[/quote]

Why are they useless replies?.....topic is "How often do you change your strings?"

I would imagine Im happy with about 10 gigs. On average we probably play 2 hours each gig. You don't have to be Carol Vorderman to do the maths, although it would be nice! Some hot and sweaty gigs with lots of in house lights can deteriorate strings quickly though. At home I use my old jazz and rarely plug it in. The strings have been on since Xmas. Generally I always enjoy the tone of strings when they are a few hours old than when they are new.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='269916' date='Aug 25 2008, 11:13 PM']It's actually just typical of his comments. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I know...just hadn't noticed much flaming recently...I was feeling left out and wanted to be licked by the ferrets flames :huh: