Why become a member? ×

First ever gig TONIGHT...

Sarah5string

Its our bands debut gig on saturday. Not only this but this is both mine and our guitarists first ever gig, period! Needless to say we're both a eeensy bit nervous.. lol. I've also found that I'm getting VERY critical of my playing in the past week or so.. is that normal?? lol I know when push comes to shove a few mistakes aren't going to matter in the grand scheme of things and it'll be a great laugh.. but I still can't help beating myself up over everything!! Have a practice tomorrow night and then our last one for 3 hours on weds to sort out the final kinks...

Going to set up my basses tonight, and stressing a bit as I've just discovered my Dean's neck is bowing out at the top slightly. :) Have done intonation and string height before but never the truss rod so not sure whether to leave it.. :huh:

Eeeeeeeeeeek!

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='269561' date='Aug 25 2008, 04:00 PM']Good luck! Make you enjoy it as it'll be over before you can say 'Basschat'...[/quote]

+1

Good luck! But yeah itll fly by and you'll enjoy every second and wish it never ended.

[quote name='kevbass' post='269571' date='Aug 25 2008, 04:25 PM']At the end of the gig make sure you throw your bass on the floor, give the crowd the middle finger, say "f**k you (whatever location you happen to be in)" and then fall into the drumkit[/quote]
LOL my basses are too precious for that!!!

[quote]Have done intonation and string height before but never the truss rod so not sure whether to leave it..[/quote]

Unless it's become unplayable, leave tweaking it till Sunday. Just practice your licks.

Truss rods are pretty straightforward - have seen a couple of threads on here, plus loads of advice elsewhere on the web. Main thing is:

1) If it won't move, don't force it - stop and take it to a luthier.
2) Only ever tiny increments - no more than 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn. And always slacken off the strings before adjusting, then back up to pitch to check.

Have a lovely gig

If you make a real hash of anything, give the guitarist a narrow eyed, menacing stare. Then roll your eyes at the punters as if to say 'why am I working with this amateur'. Used to work a treat for me, then again that was the eighties and my main achievement would have been arriving at the gig upright.

Sarah I thought your first gig was meant to be a couple of weeks ago or so?

Anyway...

Just relax, as others have said above it will be unlikely that the majority of the audience will notice if you do make a mistake.

As for being more critical of yourself if you are suddenly struggling, perhaps put the thing down for a few hours? My fingers some times just don't want to play certain songs. Leave it a bit & then they are interested lol.

Sarah ,

No point in saying don't be nervous.

Travelling to the gig and setting up will probably be the worse time , once you start playing you will be withdrawing to a World that you know very very well and a strange calm may descend.

When you emerge you will probably feel elated but have a really good idea of the areas you need to work on.

Enjoy the buzz, you only do this once and after that, you should always 'play without fear'

Best of luck.

Only advice you need is this: don't get lost.

Don't get lost on your way to the venue.
Don't get lost on your way from the dressing room to the stage (a la Spinal Tap).
Don't get lost in the middle of a song.
Don't get lost before you've taken your money, mingled with your crowd and thanked the promoter/staff.
Don't get lost on your way back home.

[quote name='The Funk' post='271064' date='Aug 27 2008, 03:12 PM']Only advice you need is this: don't get lost.

Don't get lost on your way to the venue.
Don't get lost on your way from the dressing room to the stage (a la Spinal Tap).
Don't get lost in the middle of a song.
Don't get lost before you've taken your money, mingled with your crowd and thanked the promoter/staff.
Don't get lost on your way back home.[/quote]
lol! Thanks :) Shall I take a map for all of the above?

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='271110' date='Aug 27 2008, 03:52 PM']lol! Thanks :) Shall I take a map for all of the above?[/quote]

yeah, and a big feckoff stick to get your money! That's always been the hardest part!

And as I've just realised, your gig'll be on the same night as my drummerless fiasco, so you'll do a damn sight better than me!

knock 'em dead, play it like you mean it (even if it's wrong) and make plenty of eye contact with the crowd!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='269711' date='Aug 25 2008, 07:39 PM']Don't forget to defecate in your hand and throw it at the audience as a finale[/quote]

hahah defecate what a funny way to say it lols mate

I don't do that sort of thing tho, honest.

And good luck, first gig is always a bit scary but once the crowd roars after the first song u will be the happyist kid!

Edited by Teddy_Hitch

Here's a tip for protecting against nervousness. Get to the venue early and settle yourself in, have a beer or pint of water or whatever just get to know the room. And use the soundcheck to do the same thing, familiarise yourself with the space (if there is any :)). And don't worry about f***ups people have come to see a band play not take notes and award minus points for mistakes. All the best.