Why become a member? ×

First ever gig TONIGHT...

Sarah5string

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='272419' date='Aug 29 2008, 12:02 PM']You're in danger of 'making' that happen. Calm down.

By stepping on to that stage you take the first steps into a place you want to feel is home. It's new. It's odd. You can't quite fit with it etc. But it's home.

Things will go wrong tomorrow - OK? That's the deal. It's the same for me and I've been doing it for nigh on 30 years. Only difference is I'm used to it and have learned how to cope.
Allow yourself to learn too. Expect the unexpected - but don't try and work out what that will be.

Tomorrow - be an actor. Be confident beyond what you feel. Be the best bass player that ever lived even when you're not. Know all there is to know even though you don't.
Soon it'll be 2 gigs - then 5 - then 20. Sooner than you think. You'll find you have to act less and less as it becomes a real part of your life.[/quote]
Thanks.. that makes a lot of sense. :)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! IT'S TONIGHT!!!
Feeling strangely calm... this can't be normal??? lol Drummer (hubby) was wandering the streets til 5am pissed, so has gone back to bed after getting in at 9am... can you tell he's a seasoned gigger? Me and the guitarists (Both our first times) both stayed in especially... and were on MSN all night going... 'You nervous yet? 'No, you?' 'Really?' 'Maybe a bit..' etc etc etc.
lol just want it over with now!!! Soundcheck at 6.30... any tips for preparing today?

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273005' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:06 AM']...any tips for preparing today?[/quote]

Don’t even think about it (otherwise you could be in danger of psyching yourself out :huh:). Do your normal Saturday routine of whatever it is you do on Saturdays, then make sure you’re stuff is ready for the gig about half an hour before you have to leave to go to soundcheck - then make sure you’re at soundcheck on time so the guy on the desk can’t blame you guys for everything running over on the time schedule :huh:

Make sure you’re relatively happy with the onstage sound (it doesn’t have to be perfect but when you’re soundchecking make sure you speak to the guy doing the sound and tell him what you want in your monitor), and then chill out till you’re on. Chat to the other bands maybe, but just relax and don’t wind yourself up too much. I still get nervous after 100+ gigs, but that’s part of it and I love it :huh: …wish I was gigging at the moment :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273018' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:36 AM']Remember leads are the most intelligent thing onstage they know when everything is going ok then stop working on purpose this can be avoided by taking spares as the original leads know you have a spare and will not want to be replaced.[/quote]
I've got spare picks, strings and a spare lead... as well as random tools like allen keys, wire cutters and pliers for quick on the job fixes.. lol!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273023' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:46 AM']:) :huh:

lol You spying on me?[/quote]

No need to spy when you have the same avatar on both :huh:

(and no, we have never 'spoken' over there, we have completely different areas of expertise :huh: )

Edited by Mrs Tinman

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='273027' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:49 AM']No need to spy when you have the same avatar on both :huh:

(and no, we have never 'spoken' over there, we have completely different areas of expertise :) )[/quote]
Ah good point... lol!!
and I wouldn't call it expertise... I call it being slightly addicted and having nothing better to do with my time.. lol!

Don't worry if the sound on stage isn't as good as you'd expect. As long as you can hear what you need to hear then the soundman should make you sound good to the audience. My stage sound is very bright and clicky but I know it sounds good out front [soundman cuts some treble] and it allows me to cut through on stage without being too loud [helps us hear what we're singing as well].
Have fun!

Give yourself plenty of time to get your stuff together before you leave for the gig-it's far better to amble around getting everything together in your own time than to rush around in a panic-that's how things get forgotten. Have a checklist. And remember even if you cock up, it's unlikely anyone will notice, especially if you don't draw attention to it. I've made horrendous balls-ups, and on mentioning it afterwards, nobody knew anything about it. You'll be fine-good luck, and enjoy!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273032' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:04 AM']Now I'm just bored.[/quote]
Dude, I love your comments. :)

[b]Sarah [/b]: All the best for tonight....
... but I don't think you'll need it you sound as though you are the most prepared first timer in the history of first timers. :huh:

Looking forward to your breakdown in tomorrows "how was your gig" thread. Break a leg.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='273069' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:30 AM']Give yourself plenty of time to get your stuff together before you leave for the gig-it's far better to amble around getting everything together in your own time than to rush around in a panic-that's how things get forgotten. Have a checklist. And remember even if you cock up, it's unlikely anyone will notice, especially if you don't draw attention to it. I've made horrendous balls-ups, and on mentioning it afterwards, nobody knew anything about it. You'll be fine-good luck, and enjoy![/quote]

+1 to this i remmember it must have been my bands second performance and at the end of our last number in the chorus just before the end my E string broke!
well i certainly noticed but thankfully managed to carry on with my remaining 3 the other bassist who was there noticed as did the rest of the band... but i told people in the crowd and they didn't have any idea... just shows if they don't notice your thickest string braking then they aint going to notice if you fluff a note, you'll be fine sarah...

:)

Lol, I had about a month and a half to learn the songs for my bands first gig with me, because i only joined temporarily for a charity gig, and they decided to keep me around :) If you have been practicing enough and you know the songs, you'll be fine. Don't drink to much before you go on though, otherwise you can make daft, drunken mistakes, which most of us, me included, probably have before.
Zach