Why become a member? ×

Who gets the royalties?

ubit

I was just wondering today,after hearing Guns version of word up on the radio, who gets paid when this is played on radio stations? I mean Cameo wrote it and deserve credit via royalties, but, does the band doing the cover version get a cut?
Anyone know?

Performers will get ppl if they've signed up for it. Can't remember what ppl stands for. I'm owed about £5 for a small thing that got used on television but there was a £80 admin fee for signing up. Doh!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1433021231' post='2787212']
So if I'm Andy Summers playing on Every Breath etc I don't get a royalty - Sting gets that. So what pays my mortgage?
[/quote]

He gets a royalty based on the fact that he played on the track, but not as a songwriter. He didn't get royalties from whoever it was sampled the riff that he wrote either.

Spandau Ballet are a good example. In their heyday whoever did the songwriting agreed that everyone in the band would share the royalties equally, but this was a voluntary thing, that could be rescinded at anytime.

When they split up he decided to stop that very generous arrangement. The other guys in the band (except for his brother), took him to court, and thus ensued a very costly and long drawn out legal battle, that ended with the court finding in the songwriter's favour.

If a cover is done with permission then whoever does the cover gets royalties, minus whatever they have agreed with the songwriter, they may have just agreed a one off payment.

When a song is written and released without permission then it could end up with the band not getting a penny, as was the result with The Verve and Bitter Sweet Symphony. Even though it was only a part of a Stones song that they used, they ended up having to pay all royalties to The Stones. There was a similar case with Coldplay and Joe Satriani. In this case there was an out of court settlement to Satriani.

It's a very complicated and interesting area.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1433021231' post='2787212']
So if I'm Andy Summers playing on Every Breath etc I don't get a royalty - Sting gets that. So what pays my mortgage?
[/quote]

In terms of royalties, Yeah, that's right. It all boils down to what the agreed band split was. After that, whether or not Andy Summers wrote that guitar hook means nothing. You could argue that without without Sting, the others might never have made any money at all in the business.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1433022218' post='2787226']
In terms of royalties, Yeah, that's right. It all boils down to what the agreed band split was. After that, whether or not Andy Summers wrote that guitar hook means nothing. You could argue that without without Sting, the others might never have made any money at all in the business.
[/quote]You've hit the nail on the head - I'd gladly ride Sting's coat-tails for a small percentage of a fortune. There's also the argument that if Andy had just strummed those chords...

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1433023723' post='2787234']
You've hit the nail on the head - I'd gladly ride Sting's coat-tails for a small percentage of a fortune. There's also the argument that if Andy had just strummed those chords...
[/quote]

That has been the issue at the heart of so many bands falling out, and why for example Gary Barlow is so much more wealthy than the balance of the guys in Take That : he gets all the publishing / songwriting royalties. Probably the best (worst) example of this is The Band. Levon Helm fell out with Robbie Robertson many years ago, due to the fact that Robertson is credited with writing their big hits, yet Helm was of the opinion this was frankly bullshit, and that they were written collectively. The difference being, Robertson was the smart one, and close to their manager, Albert Grossman, and Helm spent 35 years cursing the way he, the other members, and the families of Rick Danko and Richard Manuel got 'the leavings'.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/19/robbie-robertson-levon-helm

I also heard that pubs were supposed to note down whatever songs were played and send the results to whoever, for the artists to get their cut. Same with cover bands, but obviously, this would be impossible to enforce, so maybe that's a load of tosh!

The origins of House of the Rising Sun are not known so songs like this are credited as Trad (itional) arr (anged by) name of arranger. Alan Price was clever enough to know this and had his name put on the credit, which meant he got the royalties, even though it was Hilton Valentine who found the number and arranged it for the band.

Edited by chris_b

Band members are very cute now and insist that merely playing on the track constitutes a writing royalty
...and it may well be that the song came about through a band jam .. so it depends if it is formally acknowledged.
It is a subject that people need to cover pretty quickly.

That is also why you got paid a session fee and waived the rest... it became a 'bet' whether which one would gross
the most.
At a certain level, a major name is not going to give away rights and will pay you off with a 'commiserate' fee.
They have headed off that avenue of contention.
At lower levels, you need to decide whether £150 a day or whatever, in the studio will gross more that a 'futures' bet

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1433072338' post='2787486']Alan Price was clever enough to know this and had his name put on the credit, which meant he got the royalties, even though it was Hilton Valentine who found the number and arranged it for the band.[/quote]

It was still a major bone of contention within the band many years later - and came up for heated "discussion" (in the Geordie style) many times.

Edited by Big_Stu