Why become a member? ×

Stage monitor recommendations please

bonzodog

We are a small 3 piece band playing pubs and up till now have not bothered with monitors as we only put our vocals through two active tops via a small mixer. We can normally get the mics just in front of speakers so can hear ourselves fairly well. Due to bigger pub gigs coming up we want a couple of monitors. One for us two at front and one for drummer just to hear vox.
i have thought about getting two more active tops and using them as monitors. Something like the Alto 12s (We use EVs as our main tops) but may be a bit expensive so have looked at specific powered wedge monitors like Peavey which are much cheaper but only around 65watts. Would these be loud enough or should we stick with getting active speakers that can double up as monitors.

most important question is whats your budget for them?

active speakers are sometimes slightly the wrong shape to be floor wedges and end up pointing at your knees rather than your head its pretty easily fixed (with a roll of gaffer under the front edge) but is a bit annoying

i would say that 65 watts probably won't be enough although if you've been working with no monitoring it'll certainly be and improvement

We've been using a couple of 50 or 60 watt peaveys as monitors for a couple of years now, and they are definitely not enough. We recently added a 300w Behringer and it makes a huge difference to our on stage sound.

A lot of stage wedge monitors seem to be in ever larger surrounds these days. I'm sure they are better protected in their big moulded plastic boxes but they sure seem big! I picked up a pair of old MAJ wedges on eBay for about £100. One powered main with a non powered slave, though they are 12" drivers they are in sensibly sized boxes so don't take up a lot of stage room. Runs at 75W at 8ohm for single unit or a bit under 150W when paired up with slave at 4ohm, seem plenty loud enough for me. The other possible solution is the Behringer 205D which you can mount on a mic stand and therefore take up no more space than the stand would on its own. They are angled and have fittings so the rest of a boom mic can come up out of the Behringer unit. Only a 5" driver but don't be fooled, they are over 100W and are quite punchy. Your drummer could effectively have one at head height.

We use HK Audio Powerworks RS152x passive monitors; they do an active version. A little bulky, but very clear vocals, amply capable of delivering to a 3 piece band. If room is tight in front, they are good as side-fill, too. In smaller venues we use them as FOH, same as you, just back from the mics for monitoring. Classic, but sure-fire value.

Edited by Dad3353

We use a 250W active monitor which has it's own EQ. It is intened for FOH so needs a small purpose made wedge under it to point it up at us (no big deal). We are a 4 piece and TBH only 1 monitor is enough for the various stages we play on. We have vox and guitar coming through and our drummer can hear them both fine. Ours was and ex-demo, cost £150 and HAS plenty of headroom.

Edited by mep

We've been using two of the Thomann own brand Wedges. Work fine for a loud rock covers band playing small pubs and a decent price £94.56. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_ma120_mk_ii.htm?ref=prod_rel_223283_0&sid=580cd2059689efbe6081001fc01e7bb0"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_ma120_mk_ii.htm?ref=prod_rel_223283_0&sid=580cd2059689efbe6081001fc01e7bb0[/url]

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1432647206' post='2783540']
Budget would be about £100 each monitor and would prob get front one first then drummers month after. Will prob have to go SH but the thomann ones look good :)
[/quote]

You'll only get 120w from the Thomann one with the extension cab connected (so the amp 'sees' 4 ohms...). Just sayin...

This looks fairly indestructable:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-100w-powered-wedge-monitor-for-vocals-keyboards-etc-/331553943475?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d3227afb3#ht_78wt_1159"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-100w-powered-wedge-monitor-for-vocals-keyboards-etc-/331553943475?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d3227afb3#ht_78wt_1159[/url]

We use the Behringer B205D monitors. They are designed to be used on top of a mic stand.
They are great for us because they don't take up much space, on stage or in the van.
Because they are on stands they are closer to your ear so don't need to get so loud reducing the risk of feedback.
Just don't expect to use them to monitor your bass though.

We use Alto TS2As - replaced the Wharfedale wedges I was using because they're less than half the weight, make a pretty good noise, and Mrs Zero and I can always use them on their own for a PA if we do acoustic gigs.

I have my own Mackie 300w 1x10 powered speaker/monitor and they are great but lack on-board EQ (make that a consideration) but I've seen them for £150-170 used. However I also regularly utilise a pair of Wharfedale Titan powered 12s for my acoustic band and they trump the Mackie as they have EQ (basic but better than nothing), I'd have thought that they could be found used for a small budget.