Why become a member? ×

How many guitarists is too many

deaver

Depends on the band. I have a friend who plays in a very good Eagles tribute. They have three guitarists, keyboards, bass and drums. All of them sing bar the lead guitarist and they produce a full clear sound, each guitarist playing a different part in each song.

Most metal bands can cover all the bases with two guitarists, many with only one. Four is a bit of a pi$$ take. Probably a case of "My mate plays guitar too, can he be in the band?"

[quote name='deaver' post='269078' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:15 PM']Saw a 70's cover band last night that consisted of a drum machine, a bass player and four guitar players. Surely that's not right[/quote]
i think I can guess what was going on - one knows "E" & "A", one Knows "C" & "F", one knows "D" & "G" and the other one has a chord book to do the difficult ones.

Or maybe I'm underestimating them and for any chord one plays the root, one plays the third, one plays the fifth and the other plays an octave/6th/7th as required

I was in a band with a drum machine in the 80s. Never again - they don't know how to jam.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='269108' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:49 PM']I was in a band with a drum machine in the 80s. Never again - they don't know how to jam.[/quote]

Look on the bright side - at least you only have to punch information into a machine once ;-)

[quote name='deaver' post='269078' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:15 PM']....Saw a 70's cover band last night that consisted of a drum machine, a bass player and four guitar players. Surely that's not right....[/quote]
In my opinion it depends on how good the guitarists are? One bad player is one too many!
I play in an occasional Rock and Roll band and we have 3 very good guitarists. Another 3 good players wouldn't be a problem at all.

its all depends on the music you play. I have no issues if there's 3 guitarists in a band, but it all depends on the music they playing, and whether its totally nessassary.

But yeah...having a drummer instead of a drum machine is a big plus, as i find, the band works so much better when the drummer is getting into it. everyone seems to feed off the drummers enjoyment. but when he plays halfarsed, it ruins the whole vibe.

anyone remember that band World of Leather which had 15 or something guitarists?

a blatant gimmick to get them press attention, which worked, for a while. can't remember any music they made.
I think the singer became a tv presenter.

three guitar swingers that know their stuff (or four, or five etc.) = great

one guitar swinger that is rubbish = intolerable pain

the old tune springs to mind :

10 git-arrrists, hanging on the wall
10 git-arrrists, hanging on the wall

and if one git-arrist should accidently fall

I'd be bloody ecstatic.