Why become a member? ×

Unwrapped! Tom's African Build

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1432803075' post='2785060']
Oh my! That is beautiful! Given that it is difficult to get a unique headstock design without it looking weird or peculiar you guys just nailed it!
[/quote]

Thanks, Jonnyboy Rotten :)

I'm really pleased with it, although can't take much credit for it...it is essentially all Tom's design :D

Andy

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1432811799' post='2785175']
Cracking job Andy
Turned out superb!!
[/quote]
Thanks, FuNkShUi !

The Bubinga bass is making very slow but steady progress, by the way...got a good feeling about it :)

Andy

Sorry I haven't chipped in much, been snowed under...hoping I may be able to pick up the bass this week and if so I will take a camera and try to record some audio as well!

I love the way it looks...I take very little credit for any of it, just nudging things along!! Andy was fantastic throughout the process and I shall have more to say in a few days...absolutely desperate to get my hands on it!!!

So the deed is done :)

Bass is passed over to Tom (our very own wwcringe) to try out in real life. Tom played it quite a bit this morning as we sorted the final action height, etc, and it looked and sounded GREAT :) . Helped immensely, of course, by Tom's playing but nevertheless a source of great satisfaction B)

We've left the neck as initially carved (a flat-backed D profile) for Tom to play extensively and consider fully how it feels before the possibility of either moving towards a 'C' profile or asymmetric. I think that's wise because it is a relatively unusual scale (34.5") and sits on the strap in a slightly different position to how you would expect - a quick judgement on final profile might turn out to be a rushed judgement.

The interesting thing is that is doesn't actually feel like a long scale at all. I thought that but Tom also confirmed the same.

We've also left the acoustic strings on. Whether it is the strings or the position of plucking or what, but it sounds very much like an upright double bass to my ears!

Anyway, I'm sure Tom will drop a line of how he has found it when he's given it a good going over. In the meantime, here's muggins, the (relieved and) very satisfied builder:

....and here's Tom, the (presently and let's hope it continues that way) satisfied customer :)

Thanks for all of the encouragement over the progress of this most fascinating and challenging of builds :)

Andy

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1433750501' post='2793504']
A most enjoyable thread, from a readers point of view it's almost a shame it's finished.
[/quote]
Well, to paraphrase a certain famous politician, "for this bass, it isn't the end....it isn't the beginning of the end...but it may be the end of the beginning!" :lol:

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1433768036' post='2793743']
I'm assuming lefty option included of course! :-)
[/quote]
With some of my builds, I'm not convinced that you'd notice much difference whichever way round you strapped it on :lol:

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1434196411' post='2797521']
Just curious but what did the final assembly weigh in at?
[/quote]

In the rush to get it all sorted for Tom's visit - and with the expectation of slimming the neck down when he was here - I forgot to weigh it! :rolleyes: Perhaps Tom will be able to at some stage...

• 2 weeks later...