Why become a member? ×

Becoming a Headliner, Thoughts and Comments

blue

Becoming a headliner probably not realistic for most of us for different reasons except for some of you younger guys where that window of opportunity is still open.

I'm a little frustrated because I saw a bill board for one of the festivals my band is playing this summer and it only listed the headliners. So I said [i]"great, we probably have a questionable time slot on a crappy stage"[/i] That's ok, I'll get over it, but I have been thinking seriously about the advantages for headlining lately. And I mean the advantages for me.

Now, when I say headlining, I mean when you have left the weekend low pay 4 hour bar gigs and your playing 4-5 nights a week, playing 500 to 2000 seaters regionally, nationally or internationally. This is also when your can charge at least $20.00 a pop for a ticket. For example a band like Lizzy Hale and Hale Storm, or even my friend Albert Anderson who travels the world with The Wailers. I also think when these bands keep expenses down there is good money to be made. You will have to travel and sleep in an over sized van, but for me that would be no problem.

Comments and thoughts, just consider a few things;[list]
[*]I have no interest in touring as a headlining act
[*]The window for that passed me by a long time ago
[*]I would love to play at that level
[*]I would never give up my traditional job for music
[*]Family obligations close the door on headlining for me
[*]This is actually the direction I want to go
[/list]
Blue

Edited by blue

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You will have to travel and sleep in an over sized van, but for me that would be no problem.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Blue that would be the deal breaker for me these days. Sod that. I have definitely got to the stage where I never want to stay somewhere that is of lesser quality and less comfortable than my own bed. :rolleyes:[/font][/color]

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1431580616' post='2772715']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You will have to travel and sleep in an over sized van, but for me that would be no problem.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Blue that would be the deal breaker for me these days. Sod that. I have definitely got to the stage where I never want to stay somewhere that is of lesser quality and less comfortable than my own bed. :rolleyes:[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Probably true with most.

For me, it wouldn't bother me in the least. Thing is this is the only time in my life when I could go on the road. When I was younger, I was raising kids and before that I wouldn't have been mature enough for it.

Blue

I wouldn't do it these days, would love to have gone down that road in my teens / early twenties.

Even if in the highly unlikely event that a label came calling for one of my original bands I still wouldn't go full time. I have built a career outside of music and unless I'm going to get a similar amount of money from music (never going to happen) the bands will have to remain a hobby :)

I've toured musical theatre in theatres of up to two and a half thousands.

With regards to tours buses, at first it is really cool. You feel a bit rock star. It soon wears off especially sleeping on thin mattresses in stacked coffins.
It is fun and exciting playing the venues. If you are a geek like me each venue and it's history is interesting. I've played stages that deep purple played and laurel and hardy. Pretty cool.

I have wife and kids. It doesn't take long to miss them.

I enjoy going to different parts of the country and checking them out.

The money is quite good but you do spend a lot of it whilst touring.

So it has it's ups and downs.

Over the years I've pretty much done all of those things and still, at the tender age of 56, still get opportunities to do tours. They have to fit in with the job that pays the bills these days but I still do it nevertheless. I am a single parent but the children are grown up enough to allow me some short times away.

I had a few years as a touring pro but (funnily enough) had a day job at the time I played in the headlining act at the Isle of Wight. Similarly I have been on tour and been let into the hotel after the gig after the manager has crow-barred off the planks that keep people out (it had been condemned).

The one thing that full time music is (unless you're in a pretty big band) is tiring. The very late nights and the miles really take it out of you. It's not remotely glamorous.

Obviously, family brings responsibilities (to the responsible) and that prevents doing anything too daft but I see that as a good thing now. I wouldn't want to sleep in a van any more (never really had to often but remember it well) and the financial commitments mean I couldn't just give it all up again. That's also good because it's all very fleeting and one lucrative gig doesn't make for a career.

I also took the decision that I would never play stuff I didn't want to and so have never done the cruise/holiday camp thing - though I suspect you don't mean that kind of 'headlining'.

I think this thread highlights the massive differences between the US & UK music scenes; even if we ignore the 4 hour (4 whole hours!) gigs thing - you'd have to be in a huge band to play several 2k capacity gigs in this country.

I appreciate it's different for theater musicians & kind of different for covers but I dread to think what bands from the US think when they come over here & have to play in some of the sorry excuses we have for music venues.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1431580616' post='2772715']

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Blue that would be the deal breaker for me these days. Sod that. I have definitely got to the stage where I never want to stay somewhere that is of lesser quality and less comfortable than my own bed[/b]. :rolleyes:[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Me too... I'd rather make it back home but if it is a stop-over, I want to be looked after and be in a decent hotel..i,e one I'd book myself in.
and I don't slum it these days...minimum 3 *,

There is a lot of truth in the 'headline' band being THE band that most want to see.
Otherwise, you'll just try and pick the best slot with the most people there and sometimes
that definitely isn't last on the bill...

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1431585677' post='2772740']
I
I have wife and kids. It doesn't take long to miss them.[/quote]

Understood, me, my kids are adults and I'm a single divorced guy. If I went on the road there is nothing I would miss.

Blue

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1431595254' post='2772873']
I appreciate it's different for theater musicians & kind of different for covers but I dread to think what bands from the US think when they come over here & have to play in some of the sorry excuses we have for music venues.
[/quote]

Believe me, we have our share of sorry excuses for music venues. However, I always thought western rock and blues was more appreciated over there than in the states. We had rhythm and blues right at our door step in the early 60s and we ignored it. It took bands like The Stones to bring our own music to our attention.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431625962' post='2773404']
Me too... I'd rather make it back home but if it is a stop-over, I want to be looked after and be in a decent hotel..i,e one I'd book myself in.
and I don't slum it these days...minimum 3 *,
[/quote]

Me, guess I'm one of the few that could easily say,[i]"where ever I lay down my hat is my home"[/i]

Blue

If I could put my practice on "hold" for a few months, I'd do it in a second IF I was playing with the right people, in the right size venues, for the right money.

It's curious, though, that this thread has come up when it has. I've recently been contacted by a group about 90 minutes to the west of me who are talking about mini-tours. Even curiouser, they didn't contact me to fill a bass slot, they want to use me as their singer/front-man. I'm supposed to meet with them at the recording studio in Abingdon next Wednesday. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. :-)

<><Peace

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1431598011' post='2772917']
In the kind of gigs we tend to play "Being a headliner" simply equates to "playing last" as far as I'm concerned.
[/quote]

And by that time everybody has gone home.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1431598011' post='2772917']
In the kind of gigs we tend to play "Being a headliner" simply equates to "playing last" as far as I'm concerned.
[/quote]

When I say headliner, it more to do with the level of tour, the price tag on the ticket. Again I'm talking about bands that are filling 200 to 5,000 seaters.

Here is an example look at the size of the crowd, It my friend Albert from the Wailers, they also play smaller 300 seaters.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_rQjEn6SlU"]https://www.youtube....h?v=0_rQjEn6SlU[/url]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1431599259' post='2772945']
AFAIAC being a headliner means being able to sell out the venue (or at least sell enough tickets to make the gig a profitable for all concerned) irrespective of who else in on the bill. Everything else is simply playing last.
[/quote]

That`s it really. Headlining is drawing in the people, I`ve quite often seen the headline act playing halfway through the evening - usually if public transport is rotten in the area concerned.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1431632832' post='2773522']

That`s it really. Headlining is drawing in the people, I`ve quite often seen the headline act playing halfway through the evening - usually if public transport is rotten in the area concerned.
[/quote]

Agreed, playing last at double billed gig at the local level usually means,you play after everyone except your friends have left. In some cases your friend's will leave too.😀

Blue

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1431599259' post='2772945']
AFAIAC being a headliner means being able to sell out the venue (or at least sell enough tickets to make the gig a profitable for all concerned) irrespective of who else in on the bill. Everything else is simply playing last.
[/quote]

Exactly, and to do that you have to have pretty good name recognition or branding. The bands that are in that market can sell 500 seats in Florida and then sell 500 seats in Virginia the next night.

Blue

We haven't said much about how you get there.

I would say getting a local band there would be the equivalent of hitting the lottery. Joining an established headlining band,you probably have to know someone or someone with a lot of pull will vouge for you.

Blue