Why become a member? ×

New strings have made my bass sound awful! Any one else had this?

spacecowboy

Hey guys,

A bit of a weird one, but this has thrown me so much i thought i'd make a thread on it, I bought my Warwick Streamer Stage 2 5 string off here about a year ago and never changed the strings it was sent with, by the looks of them they were Elixer nanowebs, which funnily enough is what i've just re strung her with, acoustically the strings sound fine, some metallic "newness" definitely not dead, but i've sat down to record and the bass sounds awful, theres hardly any volume, no definition, these strings sound absolutely awful, what on earth is causing them to sound so rubbish? any one had this before? Also my setup hasn't changed not a single knob nor input nor gain has been touched.. i'm puzzled. Just a bad set?

Dodgy lead maybe?

Unlikely to be a complete duff set of strings.
If you've touched nothing else it has to be something other than the bass.

I just did two gigs a few weeks ago wondering my lovely new amp that sounded amazing in the front room sounded like it had a wet towel hung in front of the cab. Sounded absolutely lifeless - turned out to be the lead connecting my pedalboard to the amp. New lead and instantly sorted.

Yeah ditto on the "played in" string theory, maybe i just have to dirty these up a bit, but in my history of playing i've never experienced this with a new set, maybe my ears have become so sensitive to this particular bass and the strings that where on it.

And its a negative on the leads, just put my guitar through the setup and its still singing beautifully.

They just seem so character less

Put old strings back on (even one will do), listen to the difference. This may help with identifying is it the new strings or something else like poor saddle contact etc. I have only had one duff string in 45+ years of bass playing, having a whole set seems unlikely (but not impossible). There can be significant volume difference between different string makes, however as you have used the same make and type of strings this can be discounted.

Edited by 3below

Yeah good idea 3below, I'm going to be swapping the strings back tomorrow its so bizarre.

And Subbeh i always play this bass in passive mode, quarter roll back to the bridge pickup and its just monsterous (well not currently) but usually.

I've had this experience with the same strings, although 4 string set. I could not understand what had changed. I asked myself:

1. Had I bought the same gauge
2. Had I affected set up/ studs rod
3. Did I stretch the strings enough
4. Had I wound the strings correctly so the pressure was on the nut correctly

Having eliminated these, I simply left the bass alone for a few days. As I thought I had the original string sound so fixed in my head, that I was driving myself mad with disappointment. I played a different bass for a few days, then went back to the newly strung bass. It was better to a point I had to slightly adjust tone, but I think I got there.

I find John carruthers clips are brilliant. Well worth a watch as "in John we trust" I've learnt lots about re stringing and set up from the smooth voiced luthier.
http://youtu.be/-8uBYIwMevA

Easier to swap the battery over for an initial test than taking the strings off. OP mentions overrall low output rather than the finer tone characteristics which would point to the battery. Other alternative is that maybe they are a lighter guage than what was on before and the strings are sitting that bit further from the PU's so give lower apparent output? Would be surprised if it made that much difference though.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='spacecowboy' timestamp='1431373038' post='2770689']
acoustically the strings sound fine,
[/quote]

In which case its an electrical problem of some sort.

Have you pressed the new strings firmly over the pickup side of the saddles? Gives them a slight angle as hours of playing naturally would and makes them sound alive. (Try it on any bass right now if you don't believe it)
It's possible the new ones are in an arc on the saddles not only giving minimal contact but are further away from the bridge pickup in particular causing the drop in volume although your description does sound lead-like.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1431421005' post='2771006']
Nothing worse than old strings!
[/quote]
[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1431426455' post='2771116']
Haha, nothing worse than new strings! (imo)
[/quote]

I am on the latter, 8 yr old TIs on G&L, barely run in. Roto Tru Bass strings on acoustic bass, as fitted from new, 35 years old and still good, am I cheap :D The bass concerned was played at many gigs in the 1980s, strings got used heavily.

Edited by 3below