Why become a member? ×

Thanks Parcelforce - Hurray my new bass has arrrived and been tossed over the gate

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1432050811' post='2777590']
Taking things to the top can very often avoid a lot of being pissed about.

And if the driver really was sacked (he probably was) then hopefully the word will spread amongst Parcel Force drivers, and the OP will have done us all a favour.
[/quote]
this

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1432054619' post='2777638']
That's not the point at all. The fact that the bass was undamaged and not stolen does not preclude the fact that it was an idiotic thing to do.
There must have been a point when this delivery guy weighed up what sort of crap storm could result if the OP complained.
He clearly thought the benefit outweighed the risk and from where I'm standing on his own head be it from that point onwards.
I wouldn't want anyone to be sacked, but I very much doubt that if indeed he was, it was solely as a result of this incident.

I also have a great deal of trust in my postman. He handed me a parcel two streets from my house only yesterday, but this thread isn't about postmen.
[/quote]

He would most definitely have been sacked, I have no doubt about that, and it could have been over just one incident. If there's one thing Royal Mail Group Managing Directors don't like then it's this sort of stuff landing on their desk.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1432053952' post='2777625']

I often get my bank manager to sign my cheques :lol:
[/quote]

Shockingly I even give out my bank card details over the phone when ordering takeaways.

You guys slay me. So much righteous indignation.

in a non-stirring way and with a friendly tone, I do appreciate people standing up for the driver, but will wait for your comments when you find a parcel being delivered for your birthday sat in your rubbish bin (i now know the parcel contained food, having opened it for my birthday) with whatever is in your rubbish bin soaking in to your parcel... when you know for a fact no-one even knocked on your door because you and your girlfriend were in all morning. I don't think your personal attitude at that point will be.... "I'm glad this driver has a job even though he is clearly being exploited by the company that give him work. I better not say anything in case he happens to have his contract terminated."

I am saying this tongue in cheek, but I hope you remember this thread when your beautiful new bit of kit is left in a bin....

Edited by The Badderer

That's another black and white view.

Where you think we're either supporting the lazy driver, the hard done by OP or the evil big corporation.

How about we look at what actually happened and formulate a proportional and appropriate response. Before going 'nuclear'.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1432105993' post='2778103']
How about we look at what actually happened and formulate a proportional and appropriate response. Before going 'nuclear'..
[/quote]Easy to say when you are not personally involved and have the benefit of collective hindsight... <_< For someone who has plenty to say about what [i][b]other[/b][/i] people think, you seem to have a lot to say about this "incident" yourself! I'm not sure you are changing anyone's minds or perceptions.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1432108410' post='2778126']
Easy to say when you are not personally involved and have the benefit of collective hindsight... <_< For someone who has plenty to say about what [i][b]other[/b][/i] people think, you seem to have a lot to say about this "incident" yourself! I'm not sure you are changing anyone's minds or perceptions.
[/quote]

Even the OP said he'd calmed down the next day after opening the pack and finding the bass was fine.

That's what I see as one of the problems with the Internet. No one takes a step back and has a think about what's actually happening. Straight away get on a forum, get more worked up with the help of forum members, fire off an email, demand your pound of flesh. Disproportionate reactions.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1432110295' post='2778144']
Even the OP said he'd calmed down the next day after opening the pack and finding the bass was fine.

That's what I see as one of the problems with the Internet. No one takes a step back and has a think about what's actually happening. Straight away get on a forum, get more worked up with the help of forum members, fire off an email, demand your pound of flesh. Disproportionate reactions.

[/quote]

In principle I agree with you but the OP stated that he simply made a complaint in the way that PF told him to. What ParcelForce then decide do with that information is nothing to do with the OP.

I would have been angry if a courier had done that to my delivery and I would have complained too.

Simple as - no overeaction (by the OP) - no storm in a teacup.

TimR the fact the bass was fine, was more due to luck than judgement. Had it been your NBD and you found your new bass had been thrown over the fence and left out in the rain, with someone fraudulently signing receipt, would you really have the same opinion?

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1432114177' post='2778217']
TimR the fact the bass was fine, was more due to luck than judgement. Had it been your NBD and you found your new bass had been thrown over the fence and left out in the rain, with someone fraudulently signing receipt, would you really have the same opinion?
[/quote]

I am with Tim on this. Nothing happened - what damages has the OP suffered as a result of this specific action? None other than forum induced stress about what may have happened but did not.

On a side note, I live in the middle of nowhere and am very happy if a parcel is signed for and left by the courier or postman. I am out 15hrs a day and have no time to collect from a collection centre. Unless I have instructed the delivery firm to leave in my absence, I know I would have a case with the delivery people. Yes I am impatiant, but also pragamatic.

Edited by Bobthedog

So the bass was 'thrown' over the gate.

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1431350360' post='2770256']

I really hope so too. My wife checked for impact damage and couldn't see any so I've got everything crossed all is well when I open it up tonight.
[/quote]

He'd not even seen the box. Just has a pic that his wife took!

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1432124477' post='2778340']
I am with Tim on this. Nothing happened - what damages has the OP suffered as a result of this specific action?
[/quote]

It's ok I got shot at, the guy didn't hit me.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1432126017' post='2778362']

[/quote]

No. My wife sent me a picture of a cardboard box leaning against the gate in my back garden.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1432126017' post='2778362']
[/quote]

A completely different issue, you are talking about a person being shot at; this relates to an inanimate object that is replaceable. Perspective.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1432126305' post='2778367']
A completely different issue, you are talking about a person being shot at; this relates to an inanimate object that is replaceable. Perspective.
[/quote]

Would it have been replaceable? The driver forged the delivery signature. Had the bass been stolen or damaged after being "delivered" over the gate, for the OP to get his money back, to allow him to order a replacement would have been less than straight-forward and at the very best time consuming. Besides IIRC the bass in question was a limited edition - there might not have been another one available by the time refunds etc. had been sorted out.

OK people, it was me that started this argument trying (angrily) to quell the witch hunt and point out that the actions taken had unexpected and unwanted spin-offs.
I also stated back in post #165 that, like the OP, I want to draw a line under the discussion.
My views are still the same.
Some people on BC, just like in the real world, are more pragmatic and easier going than others.
Just let's leave it at that, shall we?
I think stuckinthepod and I have had enough, thank you.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1432127286' post='2778382']
OK people, it was me that started this argument trying (angrily) to quell the witch hunt and point out that the actions taken had unexpected and unwanted spin-offs.
I also stated back in post #165 that, like the OP, I want to draw a line under the discussion.
Some people on BC, just like in the real world, are more pragmatic and easier going than others.
[/quote]

I suspect most people in the real world are more pragmatic all round.

It's only when they get on the internet that everything becomes black and white, blows up out of proportion and everything is taken to extremes.

I wonder what the response had been if Stuckinapod's wife had taken the bass inside quietly and just told him when he got home. Instead of sending a photo while he was at work (along with whatever other pressures he was dealing with).

Funny thing life.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1432126305' post='2778367']
[/quote]

Of course it's a different issue!!! I'm not (that) dumb! :lol:

The point remains: that the outcome was a positive one was fortunate, but the action was wrong. Sometimes exaggerating a situation allows one to see some things better.

The action of the driver was not great. Whether the parcel got subsequently damaged or not is secondary: the initial action was wrong.

You may consider the outcome when deciding what your reaction would be, but that's what has already been discussed one and on and on, so I won't go there again.

I'm merely pointing out that saying "it's ok, because the result was ok" is not correct.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1432127286' post='2778382']
[/quote]

If someone else feels like continuing discussing things in a polite manner... may we do so, please?

When I have enough of thread I tend to just walk out, I don't ask whoever is left to stop because I had enough :)