Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass - problem blending pickups

I've seen countless references to players varying the volume on a Jazz bass to achieve a seemingly endless blend of tones. Sounds logical. Problem is, I can't seem to be able to do it!

It seems that whenever I begin to turn down either volume, there is very little 'turn' before the other pickup becomes dominant. It doesn't feel like I'm turning a pickup down, more like I'm switching it off. The rest of the turn makes very little difference to the overall tone of the bass. I usually ride the front pickup on it's own so it's never been much of an issue but I can't help feeling there are some wonderful tones I'm missing out on - particularly all this talk of the 'sweet spot'.

I've owned several Jazzes over the years, not all Fenders, and I always have the same problem. I currently play a Lakland DJ4 and a Fender MIM 60s reissue. I've recently parted company with a Road Worn - same problem.

What am I doing wrong?!

Have you thought about installing a blend pot in place of 1 of the volumes?
Both my Sandberg (Passive) & Mike Lull (Bartolini Pre) have this setup and both have a very even blend, it's awesome for adjusting on the fly :)

I've no experience with V/V/T jazzes though so have never come across your issue!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1431343108' post='2770125']
I've seen countless references to players varying the volume on a Jazz bass to achieve a seemingly endless blend of tones. Sounds logical. Problem is, I can't seem to be able to do it! What am I doing wrong?!
[/quote]

Try speaking to KiOgon on here. There may be a wiring or capacitor mod that is easily made that will give you more control...

Then again, I may be mistaken! :)

I had the same problem. It's got to be a myth.
The answer would be to install linear taper pots and ditch the standard audio taper. Linears give a clean sweep of volume for the entire turn of the knob. God knows why Fender don't use them, it's not like they cost anymore.

Part of the issue with standard VVT wiring is that when both pups are fully 'on' the pickup impedances interact with each other. As you back one pup off this introduces a resistance between the pups and the interaction/loading stops. This all happens in the first few degrees of turning the pot and the overall effect is that the sound seems to 'switch' to the dominant pickup with very little blend in between.

However, there ARE loads of useful blended sounds in this very small area. Once you get used to the idea that you just need to move the pot a tiny amount you will start hearing lots of different tones. This is where the 'sweet spots' are.

Here's a trick worth trying - instead of having both vols fully open, back them both off very slightly. This introduces some resistance between them and stops them interacting. Use this as your start point and you should find that backing each vol off further will result in a slightly more smooth change in tone. Another way of preventing the pickup impedances interacting is to wire a small resistor (eg. 25k) in series between the hot wire from each pickup and their respective pots. This effectively does the same thing as backing both vols off a touch.

If all that sounds too fiddly and doesn't do what you expect then go active and get a buffered blend!

Personally I like the subtleties and slight quirkiness of a VVT configuration. It lets the full character of each pickup come through. A blend pot can sound a bit bland in comparison.

But in the end, as with everything to do with tone, it's very personal and down to what works for you.

Edited by ikay

Same here. Always run them full on and vary tone control. I have tried bringing both back 25% and that gives a more subtle tone change but to get the hard driven edge of the jazz you need both full on.
Good to see its not just me then. :)

Dave

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1431367025' post='2770583']
Part of the issue with standard VVT wiring is that when both pups are fully 'on' the pickup impedances interact with each other. As you back one pup off this introduces a resistance between the pups and the interaction/loading stops. This all happens in the first few degrees of turning the pot and the overall effect is that the sound seems to 'switch' to the dominant pickup with very little blend in between.

However, there ARE loads of useful blended sounds in this very small area. Once you get used to the idea that you just need to move the pot a tiny amount you will start hearing lots of different tones. This is where the 'sweet spots' are.

Here's a trick worth trying - instead of having both vols fully open, back them both off very slightly. This introduces some resistance between them and stops them interacting. Use this as your start point and you should find that backing each vol off further will result in a slightly more smooth change in tone. Another way of preventing the pickup impedances interacting is to wire a small resistor (eg. 25k) in series between the hot wire from each pickup and their respective pots. This effectively does the same thing as backing both vols off a touch.

If all that sounds too fiddly and doesn't do what you expect then go active and get a buffered blend!

Personally I like the subtleties and slight quirkiness of a VVT configuration. It lets the full character of each pickup come through. A blend pot can sound a bit bland in comparison.

But in the end, as with everything to do with tone, it's very personal and down to what works for you.
[/quote]

Excellent post there, nice one 👍.
I will try this next time I have a go on a Jazz (sold mine a long time ago).

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1431366460' post='2770562']
Same with mine, must be normal with a VVT set up. Just whack them both up full. Works for me.
[/quote]

THis, except I've bypassed the Tone pot, as it was always ever 'whacked up' too...