Why become a member? ×

Only a Rick sounds like a Rick...

I've always thought so. But I've just stumbled upon this live clip of Renaissance and Jon Camp's extraordinary Dick Knight double-neck makes a remarkably convincing noise, despite the different pickups. Have a listen for yourselves (lengthy bass solo at 7:10)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9VfOD8sHQ[/media]

p.s. John Tout RIP.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

One of the classic tones only a Ric can do....IMO but other tones that are credited as Ric sounds
were actually from a Jazz...
I think work by Squires, Glover and Hughes using both basses are well documented..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430857622' post='2765377']
One of the classic tones only a Ric can do....IMO but other tones that are credited as Ric sounds
I think work by Squires, Glover and Hughes using both basses are well documented..
[/quote]

Both Geddy Lee and Chris Squire get very different tones from their Ricks and Jazzes, there's very little sonic confusion between the two - except on Moving Pictures where all the bass tracks are smothered in effects!

The sound is more to do with Single coils having output thats not self limited and allows clipping and pickup spacing under harmonic points which produces partial phasing on the peaks.
Then put the strings, the bridge and pickups all on one through wood laminate neck for sustain and you have a Rick sound .
Copy this in any bass even with humbuckers and you wont be far off.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1430859564' post='2765408']
The sound is more to do with Single coils having output thats not self limited and allows clipping and pickup spacing under harmonic points which produces partial phasing on the peaks.

[/quote]

I'm afraid that's a bit beyond my understanding, but surely the pickups in the clip aren't in the usual Rick position?

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1430861667' post='2765444']
I'm afraid that's a bit beyond my understanding, but surely the pickups in the clip aren't in the usual Rick position?
[/quote]

Not even slightly in the same position or the same type.

I always say it the person who's playing the bass that dictates tone and sound. Not the bass, strings, or the amp. If I were to get up and play through Larry Graham's rig I would sound like me, not Larry Graham. But that's just me.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430868414' post='2765499']
I always say it the person who's playing the bass that dictates tone and sound. Not the bass, strings, or the amp. If I were to get up and play through Larry Graham's rig I would sound like me, not Larry Graham. But that's just me.

Blue
[/quote]

I agree Blue.

All my guitars sound pretty damn poor when I play them.

I don't, though I do in part.

If you played through Larry Graham's rig, you'd sound like you playing through Larry Graham's rig.
It's not gonna sound anything like what you do playing through your own rig (unless you so happen to have the same rig, strings & EQ settings), but it would still be your style of playing that comes through.

When I switched from round wound to flat wound strings, the sound was very different. The playing style is still very much me.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430857622' post='2765377']
[/quote]I assumed for years that Parallels was a Rick and then learned it was a Jazz.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1430892247' post='2765546']
I don't, though I do in part.

If you played through Larry Graham's rig, you'd sound like you playing through Larry Graham's rig.
It's not gonna sound anything like what you do playing through your own rig (unless you so happen to have the same rig, strings & EQ settings), but it would still be your style of playing that comes through.

When I switched from round wound to flat wound strings, the sound was very different. The playing style is still very much me.
[/quote]I agree.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1430895173' post='2765568']
The headstocks look different?
[/quote]

John Birch made Rickenbacker copies with both his own style headstock and one that looked very much like Rickenbacker's.

Mid to late 70s was a time when lots of UK artists were using John Birch instruments especially if you wanted something that wasn't easily available from the US manufacturers of the time. Double neck Ric-style instrument fits the bill perfectly and there were several pictured in the JB catalogue of the time.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430894382' post='2765565']
Are we sure that's an actual Rickenbacker and not a John Birch copy?
[/quote]

It's not a Rickenbacker - it's a custom made by Dick Knight. Not the classical guitar-style slotted headstocks. Little can be found of it's history online though sadly.

I've edited the original post now to make it clear this isn't a Rick, but just sounds remarkably like one!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430868414' post='2765499']

Blue
[/quote]

Different argument entirely. My post was about how the fabled 'unique' Rickenbacker tone can apparently be acheived by a bass with very different electronics, something I always doubted possible.
FWIW, the idea that tone and sound is dictated solely by the player, rather than the gear, is one I find ludicrous. But that's another thread. ;)

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1430899515' post='2765619']
I suppose this is going off topic really, sorry, but I was enthralled by that Renaissance track, I didn't realise they were THAT good. Annie is just awesome, and that bass, whatever tone it is, is just brilliant.
[/quote]

Beautiful isn't it?

Strangely, one of my Thunderbirds sounded frighteningly like a Rick last week. I always have all the controls full up, so it wasn't that. I had been fiddling with my compressor and turned the sustain down, and perhaps upped the high frequencies a touch on the amp. I'd also just shielded all the cavities with copper foil, completely eliminating any extraneous noise that'd been there before.

Other than that, it must just have been the room. It was quite scary, but I was dead impressed with it. :)

TBH I thought the OP clip sounded like a P from the off and it didn't surprise me to see there were P type pickups on the bass, albeit 2 sets! I sometime wonder if we get fooled by style of play as much as anything - Jon Camp played in a very similar way to Squire, Squire played a Ric a lot and your brain starts filling in the blanks.