Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New valve preamp on the block

Owen

http://arkhamsound.com/octling.html

Looks nice, word in TB is that it delivers the goods. I have asked if they will send to the UK. Not that I need another preamp, but......................

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1430494231' post='2762048']
Only 120V labelled on the input though so you'll need a transformer unless he can build you a 240V version. I'd ask before buying!
[/quote]

As it says near the bottom of the page:
"*Export version available. Please Inquire"
[color=#FFFFFF][font=Times][size=3]*Export version available, please inquire.[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by bartelby

Micah's builds look excellent. He also does a rackmount version of the octling preamp called the Zepher. B15 based, so it's a baxandall tone stack, but with a few extras like a range control (shifts the bax stack frequency), a bass cut switch, separate volumes for unbalanced and balanced out. There's a few review videos on YouTube of it.

Arkham Zephyr Tube Bass Preamp: http://youtu.be/6XSprMsphhA

Micah posted a gut shot of the zepher over on " the forum which shall not be named" - I've reverse engineered it already and will be building one as a starting point for my own preamp.

The octling looks like great value.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1430494649' post='2762056']
He has just replied to my email and has a 230v one ready to go. I do not need a new pre.
[/quote]

Getting tempted Owen?

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1430675811' post='2763625']
Ironically I am almost tipping into going into software front ends instead of hardware. I already am sorted for preamps, but it does look nice!
[/quote]

Yes it does, and given the price I'm sure it'll be popular.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1430751737' post='2764260']
I will probably my regret asking this but by why would anyone want a valve front end these days? If there is any magic in valves it comes from the output transformer and owner supply not the preamp.
[/quote]

Before the lynch mob gathers, I'd say it kind of depends on the amp and on your personal preferences.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1430751737' post='2764260']
I will probably my regret asking this but by why would anyone want a valve front end these days? If there is any magic in valves it comes from the output transformer and owner supply not the preamp.
[/quote]

Even if a valve preamp won't sound the same as a full valve setup, many of them still sound very good. And a valve preamp isn't really all that impractical; they're not especially bulky, don't kick out a lot of heat and don't need re-valving frequently compared to a valve power amp. So really, why not?