Why become a member? ×

Decisions decisions - looking for input on specs

Evil Undead

Hello all

So, I've managed to avoid buying a bass for 2 1/2 years now. Been holding out for "the one" but nothing off the shelf has really got me interested. My two current basses are okay, but they're cheapos and I have to set the damn things up almost every time I go to play them, and I've had enough of that really. So I'm looking for something a bit higher end, I fully understand that no bass will be "set and forget" in terms of set up, but maybe something that has to be adjusted a few times a year rather than every week would be better.

As I've not bought a bass in so long, I've been saving my pennies up, and I've decided to go the ACG route - they're fantastic looking and sounded basses, and although I've never actually played one, I can't see myself being in any way disappointed by one at all.

It might seem a bit silly to buy a £1100 instrument when I'm not in a band, but I love playing bass and want an instrument that's all mine, and I can have and play for years to come. and I might be in a band in the future - my dodgy hands are improving slightly since I started using short scales so you never know...

Anyway. I want some help with specs. I've never done this before so am a little confused by it all. Have briefly chatted to Alan via email and he's been really really helpful, but I don't want to bug him about every little thing while I'm trying to make my mind up on the small details.

Ok, so, I'm looking for something about 8.5lbs max, and well balanced on a strap or sitting.

neck will be maple with wenge centre stripe.

Fretboard - I absolutely adore the look, sound and feel of wenge, but is there any reason that I should choose rosewood instead?

I asked Alan about symmetrical carve for the neck and 16" radius for the board, he seems to be happy with those.

Dual AC FB humbuckers in standard jazz layout - I'm pretty set on this, but let me know if there's any reason I should consider an alternative.

Body wood - this is where I'm really stuck. I'm going for the J type design, and the choices of body wood are black or white limba, or alder with a choice of top - torn between alder with flame maple top and black pickguard, or solid alder with grunge black finish. Not sure how the weight/balance would be with alder though.

What do you think chaps?

You're in great hands with ACG, you'll end up with an instrument you can cherish for a lifetime :)

It's difficult to suggest anything regarding finish etc as it's so personal to you. I'd just think over the various options and live with them for a while until something sticks.

Nothing wrong with cheap basses that play well and nothing wrong with spending on a nice bass if you can afford it , regardless if you are in a band or not , people buy all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons.

Spending money helps the world go round (well not technically)

Keep us posted

Hi Mel,
I've had rosewood and wenge, I don't think there's anything much to chose between them.

WRT the body, if you're going for a "coffee table" look then it will be easier for you to get some exciting wood grain going on if you have a veneer on top but for me I like to see the grain of the solid wood. If it were me I'd like to be involved in the wood selection process, but to be honest, you don't really know what the grain looks like until you plane and sand it.

The natural grains look great what ever you have. I look forward to seeing the story unfold.

Looking at the wood specs, Alder appears around 10% lighter on average, although this will depend on where it's sourced. My vote would be for Alder (without the fancy top, if this is painted) as you seem fairly decided on all other aspects.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1430038656' post='2757236']
ACG are stunning instruments. I recommend that you talk directly to Alan about the kind of bass that will tick your boxes.
[/quote]

This pretty much.

Alan’s alder bodies are very light weight though from my personal experience. I recently, and pretty reluctantly, sold one that weighed less than 7.5lbs. It was to fund another ACG though :ph34r:

Alan's also experimented with chambering basses to lighten them.

The only advice I can give on that front is to go through the ACG gallery and look at the finishes there. I personally like the acrylic impregnated finish such as

but my taste is very likely wildly different from yours.

Hey there, that's great news :)
Lots of good advice above, not much to offer here bar reinforcing how light the alder ACG use can be, you'll easily hit your target weight.

Are you going for a 34" scale bass, as I know you've flirted with shorter scales over the years...
I play 33" 5 string basses and I love the playability without any noticeable sacrifices when held up against 34" basses.
I'm actually having a 31.5" 4 string bass built right now too, for even more playability :)

As far as finishes go, I would go for a natural fancy wood rather than the grunge black, your choice of flamed maple with a black pickguard tips the hat nicely at a more classic bass while putting out that cool custom vibe :)

I've had quite an experience of ACG basses and have been bugging Alan routinely for quite a long time, feel free to shoot me a PM if I can be of any help.

Eude

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1430228421' post='2759186']
Alan's also experimented with chambering basses to lighten them.

The only advice I can give on that front is to go through the ACG gallery and look at the finishes there. I personally like the acrylic impregnated finish such as

but my taste is very likely wildly different from yours.
[/quote]

:o That is unbelievable! I love it!!!
Oh crap, how much are ACGs? :unsure:

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1430302470' post='2759958']
:o That is unbelievable! I love it!!!
Oh crap, how much are ACGs? :unsure:
[/quote]

Much better value than you'd expect, that's for sure!

Oh, and Ms Undead, if you're in the London area and can make it to South Croydon, you're more than welcome to try my ACGs out.

Eude