Why become a member? ×

Your Stones, Got My Tickets :)

blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1427973348' post='2736469']

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333]I was witness to the famous 'Brian Jones' butterfly massacre, all those decades ago. It was quite shocking; doubly so as the supporting acts were blindingly brilliant. Special mention for King Crimson, who completely stole the show and put the 'best r&r group in the world' to utter shame.[/color][/font]
[/quote]

I was there too, the highlight of a very hot afternoon being 21st Century Schizoid Man (am I one now?). :P

Blue, please ignore us old farts.
Just go and have a great time and don't think of this jealous old couple sitting in the rain on the east coast of England.
Best of luck.
Groovy! :)

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1428138000' post='2738318']
I was there too, the highlight of a very hot afternoon being 21st Century Schizoid Man (am I one now?). :P

Blue, please ignore us old farts.
Just go and have a great time and don't think of this jealous old couple sitting in the rain on the east coast of England.
Best of luck.
Groovy! :)
[/quote]
:friends:

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1427929468' post='2736110']
I saw Ronnie Wood get out a car on Brewery Road, Camden Town the other day for free!

He's very short and wouldn't go amiss in Lord Of The Rings.

Good luck with the tickets!
[/quote]
Are you sure?

Saw them in Brisbane in 1995. Brilliant gig!! Have loved the Stones since I was 12 (1980) when my mum gave me Rolled Gold for Xmas. I had obviously heard some of their songs on radio etc prior to that and enjoyed them but this was the first time I really listened to them. What I heard blew me away the interaction between the instruments and the various layers. This was when I realised that a song was more than just music with lyrics but a conversation between the various instruments and that each played a major role in the overall sound of the songs.

Blue, now I am torn between seeing the Stones (time#4) or seeing the Who in Nashville (time#7). I could buy a new bass for what the tickets will cost and a room at a moetel! I just wish Keith would play a new guitar and be careful not to ding it or scratch the finish. Bill took good care of his basses and I try to follow his example.

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1428247141' post='2739535']
Blue, now I am torn between seeing the Stones (time#4) or seeing the Who in Nashville (time#7). I could buy a new bass for what the tickets will cost and a room at a moetel! I just wish Keith would play a new guitar and be careful not to ding it or scratch the finish. Bill took good care of his basses and I try to follow his example.
[/quote]

Yeah, the Who announced Milwaukee was on their tour a year in advance. They are here in October on the Summerfest Grounds like the Stones. Interesting they are playing on the BMO stage which is smaller (pictured) than the Marcus Amphitheater where the Stones are playing.

BTW, The SummerFest grounds are on the lake front, beautiful Lake Michigan.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1428260706' post='2739715']
Cant stand the Stones or Beatles in my view thay had an opportunity to paint the blank canvas that was rock and roll at the time but they went for magnolia. Hendrix was the first to use colour.
[/quote]

Our personal tastes , preferences and opinions all have a place as does historical fact.

If there were no Beatles or Stones there would have been no Jimi.

If it were not for The Beatles and Stones in terms of rock and pop nobody would have even had a reason to take interest in the UK.

In a way you might want to thank the Beatles for bringing you Jimi. Again maybe some of the 60 plus guys might back me up. You would have never heard Jimi if it wasn't for the Beatles. IMHO

You do know that Jimi was a huge Beatles fan, right?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428264800' post='2739778']
Our personal tastes , preferences and opinions all have a place as does historical fact.

If it were not for The Beatles and Stones in terms of rock and pop nobody would have even had a reason to take interest in the UK.

In a way you might want to thank the Beatles for bringing you Jimi. Again maybe some of the 60 plus guys might back me up. You would have never heard Jimi if it wasn't for the Beatles. IMHO

You do know that Jimi was a huge Beatles fan, right?

Blue
[/quote]

This nearly 66 year old backs you up to the hilt, Blue.

Interesting that, so the story goes, Mr. Hendrix actually played "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" live in concert the day the album was released.

I'll dig out the reference; just give this old boy some time please.

Sorry, I got it wrong.
Album released on the Friday and Jimi opened his show on Sunday night (two days later) with the number.

http://www.openculture.com/2010/07/hendrix_plays_sgt_peppers_lonely_hearts_club_band.html

Groovy.

Edited by Jazzneck

Off topic:

You don't have to like The Beatles or The Stones, that's a preference and many don't.

However,for most part if your in this rock & roll business young and old, if you don't understand the history and impact of The Beatles & The Stones your going to miss a few things. IMO

These guys didn't stay on top for 50 years for no reason.

Blue

Edited by blue

Frankly, it doesn't matter whether some people like / get / value / understand the Stones while others do not. To this day the Stones exert a gravitational effect on anyone who picks up an instrument, whether they want to sound like the Stones or want very much [i]not[/i] to sound like the Stones.

'The Stones' is a monolithic, historied entity with its roots in the earliest days of rock. As an idea 'The Stones' exists (sic) far beyond the confining boundaries of genre and musical taste.

'Liking or 'not liking' them is such an irrelevance it's probably easier just to like them and spare oneself the trouble of coming up with reasons [i]not[/i] to like them. And at a certain level the Stones don't really [i]care[/i] whether people like them - if they ever did care.

Which is all part of the charm. :)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428271203' post='2739875']
+1 They are are fundamental force of nature, much like the weather.
[/quote]

I don't know. I mean even the other day on this forum we were having a laugh at how crap the British weather is. Someone sneezes and it's on the front pages as a hurricane.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1428270042' post='2739863']
i dont agree but what do i know.. i cant stand the Beatles or the Stones i think they missed out on a lot more than they achieved
[/quote]

Whoa....... it seems you don't understand much about what they did achieve.

Those guys significantly changed the performing, song writing and recording worlds for everyone at the time and who came after.

You need to do some homework.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1428270697' post='2739870']
Frankly, it doesn't matter whether some people like / get / value / understand the Stones while others do not. To this day the Stones exert a gravitational effect on anyone who picks up an instrument, whether they want to sound like the Stones or want very much [i]not[/i] to sound like the Stones.

'The Stones' is a monolithic, historied entity with its roots in the earliest days of rock. As an idea 'The Stones' exists (sic) far beyond the confining boundaries of genre and musical taste.

'Liking or 'not liking' them is such an irrelevance it's probably easier just to like them and spare oneself the trouble of coming up with reasons [i]not[/i] to like them. And at a certain level the Stones don't really [i]care[/i] whether people like them - if they ever did care.

Which is all part of the charm. :)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

I think he's saying he doesn't like them and I guess there are many that don't and many that do. I suspect the tickets for The Milwaukee show on 6/23 are all spoken for and will sell out within minutes when they go on sale April 8th.

[i]"The Stones' exists (sic) far beyond the confining boundaries of genre and musical taste". [/i]Agreed and even though I think the ticket price is ridiculous, it's why many of us don't bat an eye at spending $458.00 for a seat.I don't, and I'll tell you something else, I can't afford it. It's one of those, I'm going regardless type things for me.

In addition, he doesn't feel or think The Beatles or The Stones have had any impact or influence on rock music. Which is pretty close to saying nobody has had an impact on rock music and that history is meaningless. If I'm understanding his position. He has not made a comment on impact or influence.He only knows he doesn't like them.

That's his opinion, a little weird to me, but everyone has a right to an opinion.

This poster could be 14 years old for all I know.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428264800' post='2739778']

[/quote]

C'mon, point of order here - those aren't facts, they're opinions.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1428260706' post='2739715']Cant stand the Stones or Beatles in my view thay had an opportunity to paint the blank canvas that was rock and roll at the time but they went for magnolia. Hendrix was the first to use colour.[/quote]
I've always taken the view that The Beatles & The Stones opened the door & Hendrix came along and smashed it off its hinges forever.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428264800' post='2739778']You would have never heard Jimi if it wasn't for the Beatles. IMHO

Blue[/quote]
Not sure I'd agree entirely, but we definitely wouldn't have had Hendrix if it wasn't for The Animals.

Pete.