Why become a member? ×

Bass lessons

ARGH

Throwing this one out.

Is,in your opinion,£35 an hour too steep for Bass tuition,one on one....and Ive to travel to the place.

No refunds,given the credit crunch times,should I just f*** it and buy a decent book,and watch a ton more youtube,play a few more gigs,to get better at playing,or just f*** it and go?

Hmm,

....better to think of it this way, if you really learn something that helps you out, or takes you where you want to be with your playing, the slightly higher price is well worth it.

I guess you have to try it and see....

I had a real lightbulb moment with a teacher I used to visit, he was charging me 25 quid an hour, and I had to travel two hours to get there, this was in 1991 so it was expensive for the time, and relative to my earnings also.
He really sorted me out on a few things and I'm glad I made the effort to seek him out, rather than fumble around on my own.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='265659' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:43 PM']Are you sure it shouldn't be you who's giving the lessons? [unless you're trying to learn a very specific technique]

BTW good reviews from the Rock n Bike Show :huh:[/quote]
Yeah..thanks for that,Dad Lally was nice in his write up...You didnt watch us did you? You heard about some guy burning a V onstage and it landing on Lally Jr's £500 multicore cable...Graham (Our drummer,who was doing lights with Paul) said he'd never seen a CO2 extinguisher located and used so fast in his life! We are doing the Harley Davidson thang in Baildon this friday...hey have heard about some git cancelling our gigs,and then by sheer chance a band steps in,and its been the same band each time? I wonder if its been happening to you guys?

On topic,lessonswise...well,you ever wondered exactly how good you are,or what gaps there are in your playing? What do I need/could I do to be better than the next guy? Well Ive been having that feeling for ages....Brush up on theory (but why I hardly use it anymore)..is obvious,as are techniques (but youtube is around for that,and I cant really tap in any part of "Shake your Tailfeather" ...Ive tried :) ).

[quote name='ARGH' post='265678' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:58 PM']Yeah..thanks for that,Dad Lally was nice in his write up...You didnt watch us did you? You heard about some guy burning a V onstage and it landing on Lally Jr's £500 multicore cable...Graham (Our drummer,who was doing lights with Paul) said he'd never seen a CO2 extinguisher located and used so fast in his life! We are doing the Harley Davidson thang in Baildon this friday...hey have heard about some git cancelling our gigs,and then by sheer chance a band steps in,and its been the same band each time? I wonder if its been happening to you guys?

On topic,lessonswise...well,you ever wondered exactly how good you are,or what gaps there are in your playing? What do I need/could I do to be better than the next guy? Well Ive been having that feeling for ages....Brush up on theory (but why I hardly use it anymore)..is obvious,as are techniques (but youtube is around for that,and I cant really tap in any part of "Shake your Tailfeather" ...Ive tried :) ).[/quote]

No I didn't watch it as I was on the South Coast getting buffeted by the wind in our campervan and awning, I've seen quite a few good comments from the other bands. I knew about the burning of the V but not heard what it landed on, pretty funny!
No, we've not had any malicious cancellations but I know quite a few bands that it has happened to. I've not been able to spot any pattern as to who it is. I did wonder at one point if it was a band trying to keep some of the rapidly improving bands from getting good gigs. A lot of the cancellations did seem to be in the Ponte/Wakey area into South Yorkshire but I don't know it that trend has continued? I don't think my band are regarded as being particularly good musically so I don't think other bands feel threatened by us - we get a lot of gigs based on our image, song choice etc rather than our pedigree as musicians.

On topic, I think I'm a fairly good bass player within a band context. If I was looking for areas to improve it would definitely be my singing, writing [lyrics+music]. There are vast areas of bass playing that I've barely touched on [tapping and slapping/popping, other techniques] but I am far more interested in the band sound at the moment. I know this appears very unambitious but I've a lot on my plate with young kids, a demanding job, unfinished MSc etc. I know I'm probably 'playing it safe' as a bassist but that's where I am at the moment.

[quote name='ARGH' post='265246' date='Aug 19 2008, 09:34 AM']I really really really have to get to OuttoplayJazz's house before the summer hols end![/quote]

Yes, I could have sworn you were coming over - I wasn't going to charge you, either! :)

Also, I still charge £20 per hour. I think it's a reasonable rate and £20 per hour in any profession is not to be sniffed at. I like to charge what people can afford and I seem to have a waiting list for my private lessons as well!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz