Why become a member? ×

Status Graphite Streamline Review

Lownote-LA

I purchased a Streamline late last year and until just recently hadn't really had a chance to play it as all of my work had been on string bass. However, this summer I was hired to play bass guitar exclusively on a musical called Only the Brave that has opened and is on for the full run of the Edinburgh Fringe. The music is terrific and demanding and I'm part of about a 20-piece orchestra. I've been playing the Streamline exclusively and couldn't be happier with it. What I like particularly is:

1. The ergonomics, particularly its balance, is wonderful and is perfect for situations like this where I'm forced to sit on a folding chair squashed into a small performance space. Of course, the bass also balances beautifully when you are standing to play it as well.

2. The small size is also wonderful for tight quarters like a pit or in this case a small space on stage behind a scrim.

3. I'm able to get a very nice tone out of the bass although I've made hardly any adjustments since I'm counting on the guy on the mixing board to do the heavy work. The technical stuff at the Fringe events is a bit limited, e.g., I'm not plugged directly into the board with a monitor of my own and the ability to dictate a monitor mix. Rather, I've brought in a tiny Acoustic Image Clarus SL amp that I'm running through a little GK MB150X speaker so that I can hear myself. I'm having to play at as low a volume as possible on stage so as not to put too much bass into the mic's that are picking up the strings and woodwinds. The only tweak I've made is to move the pickup control slightly toward the neck pickup so as to fatten up the sound a little bit. This has been wonderful for the parts that are really written for arco string bass, i.e., lots of long notes with a lot of sustain desired. However, the bass also sounds good on the slamming rock and roll pieces as well.

4. The light weight and compact size makes it perfect for a commuting professional musician who is taking the train to work. The gig bag has just the right pockets and the bag pack straps make it a joy to carry for the 1 mile walk at each end.

5. I've never owned a carbon fibre instrument before and didn't appreciate how stable they are. With the original ground flats (half wounds) fully settled in, I haven't had to change the tuning in more than a week, and I've been playing it for 5 to 6 hours each day. Remarkable.

This is a wonderful instrument for the working professional.

Erik Hansen
Scotland

This was reviewed in the july/august 2007 bass guitar mag,and received a 4 star rating....and did point to being good for the touring professionals,i quite like the idea of the bass,but i am not to keen on all graphite basses

Edited by bassmanady

Great stuff!

I've not played one in anger yet but did have a `feel' (ooer!) of one down at the factory - very compact and as noted, ergonomically comfortable. Its strange, playing graphite (necked or full graphite construction) gives me that `confidence' that nothing major can go wrong (things can of course!) and this being the case, I can think more about what I'm doing, not what the bass is!!! I think that makes sense!

[quote name='Merton' post='264617' date='Aug 18 2008, 02:46 PM']Price starts at £1299 for the basic model :)[/quote]
Thanks for the OP. Good to hear how things actually work out, rather than just how good they look. I love the idea of the Streamline, ever since reading the review last year in BGM.

It strikes me, that if Rob ever thought about 'doing a Spector' (i.e. set up a production centre in a lower-cost base part of the world) then this lovely Streamline model could be the one to start the ball rolling with. I say this with the blind ignorant assumption that there's a good deal of skill in the R&D and perhaps less [u]rare skills [/u]needed to assemble the finished instrument. A £599 Streamline 'made in Czech Republic' could be very tempting, and perhaps stimulate a wider demand for other basses from the Status range.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='265571' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:11 PM']A £599 Streamline 'made in Czech Republic' could be very tempting, and perhaps stimulate a wider demand for other basses from the Status range.[/quote]

great idea - I'd have one in a shot!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='265571' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:11 PM']Thanks for the OP. Good to hear how things actually work out, rather than just how good they look. I love the idea of the Streamline, ever since reading the review last year in BGM.

It strikes me, that if Rob ever thought about 'doing a Spector' (i.e. set up a production centre in a lower-cost base part of the world) then this lovely Streamline model could be the one to start the ball rolling with. I say this with the blind ignorant assumption that there's a good deal of skill in the R&D and perhaps less [u]rare skills [/u]needed to assemble the finished instrument. A £599 Streamline 'made in Czech Republic' could be very tempting, and perhaps stimulate a wider demand for other basses from the Status range.[/quote]

A very good idea, however, the moulding equipment costs an absolute fortune - not sure if it would actually cost any less to produce them out there - Rob I think would still want to keep it under his watchful eye, so by the time any instruments are made in Europe, then sent back, fettled with, and then shipped out from the UK etc, he might as well have just made them here! However, you could argue that a licence built product (remember the Washburn Status Series 1000) could be the way forward...it would have to be made from hard rock maple though!

To be honest, I think building an instrument from graphite is not something a lot of places are kitted out for. Rob at Status is something of a pioneer in the technique, as far as I can gather. His method (or at least the finished product) seems to be quite different from Modulus and Moses, for example.

[quote name='Merton' post='265567' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:00 PM']That makes £3.52 so far - any more donations? :huh:[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
Here!............At £12.99 your only £9.47 Short! :)
.................."Should have Gone to Specsavers!".
"Here!...Have you Seen My Washboard?".....

Edited by MB1

The problem with manufacturing in carbon graphite composite is that the manufacturing process is completed by hand and isn't easy to standardise like CNC milling of wooden necks is. You need staff who are trained in placing and orientating the layers of composite fabric and who can remove any air bubbles. However when you do have access to trained staff, it doesn't matter whether they're working on a bass neck or a bit of F1 fairing, the process is pretty similar.

If there was a place in the Czech Republic that was already producing graphite composite parts for automotive manufacturers then it might be worth looking at.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='265922' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:07 PM']The problem with manufacturing in carbon graphite composite is that the manufacturing process is completed by hand and isn't easy to standardise like CNC milling of wooden necks is. You need staff who are trained in placing and orientating the layers of composite fabric and who can remove any air bubbles. However when you do have access to trained staff, it doesn't matter whether they're working on a bass neck or a bit of F1 fairing, the process is pretty similar.

If there was a place in the Czech Republic that was already producing graphite composite parts for automotive manufacturers then it might be worth looking at.[/quote]

I agree with what you're saying, but I know that Rob would want to be in complete control of all processes - I've been down there many times; I've actually worked for Status when I demoed a Kingbass on an Aussie TV show for Rob and yet have never been shown the `secret lab' where the graphite magic took place! Part of the reason he invested a lot of money and started producing his own mouldings back in '90 was that he was spending huge amounts of money on sub-contractors who were producing his instruments (in the case of the 2000) and necks (Series II's, Series 3000's back in the day) and whose results were not always 100% satisfactory. It would be great if there was a way this could take place but knowing Rob, I think it probably won't happen - I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Cheers!

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='265941' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:38 PM']I agree with what you're saying, but I know that Rob would want to be in complete control of all processes - I've been down there many times; I've actually worked for Status when I demoed a Kingbass on an Aussie TV show for Rob and yet have never been shown the `secret lab' where the graphite magic took place! Part of the reason he invested a lot of money and started producing his own mouldings back in '90 was that he was spending huge amounts of money on sub-contractors who were producing his instruments (in the case of the 2000) and necks (Series II's, Series 3000's back in the day) and whose results were not always 100% satisfactory.[/quote]
Rob and I talked about his frustations over sub contracting, and latterly distribution networks within the UK as well. Businesses slapping their margins on at every stage of the process whether it be manufacture or distribution is one reason why stuff can get so ridiculously expensive in this country.

I didn't see a secret lab when I visited but I did see a load of coffin shaped stealth bass moulds in which the composite bodies were vacuum baked, as well as the oven itself. Rob has also evolved his method of production over the years as well, particularly where his choice of core material is concerned. I can identify with Rob's position completely in regard to the costs of sub contractors although when Rob started, the costs of manufacture were probably a lot higher because there was less competition. Graphite composite manufacture isn't that technically complicated and the level of training needed for it probably isn't any higher than wallpapering but the attention to detail is still important. Stray bubbles here and there can ruin a finish.

Bearing all that in mind, I think Rob's standard stingray/fender graphite necks offer great value for money compared to the cost of getting one custom made using a laying on method of production.

Fantastic. I hope the OP doesn't mind we went off in this production direction. I have learned a lot so far from these posts and, if anything, it has raised further, my appreciation of Status & graphite technology. I don't mind coming up with simplistic "why not" scenarios, if they challenge or stimulate discussion. (I dare say Homer Simpson would have put that across even better). :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='265922' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:07 PM']If there was a place in the Czech Republic that was already producing graphite composite parts for automotive manufacturers then it might be worth looking at.[/quote]

I wonder what Peavey did with their graphite necked basses, didn't they just do one model? I wonder if they subcontracted as well, I can't imagine they'd add special equipment to their factory just for one line of basses.

Excellent practical review, btw :) I've played a Streamline at the factory & I was very impressed by it. I felt it had a huge range of tones on offer and the smaller body size seemed to make no difference to the tone - It really does sound much mightier than it looks!

As for production, I know that the 'streamlining' (no pun intended!) of the operation in recent years has helped the company keep ahead of the competition and has also done no harm to the image and perceived value of the brand. I know Rob wouldn't outsource any production as he's kept a tight grip on the quality control for a very long time. You know you're going to get a first class instrument & that there will be no quality issues at all. I've only heard of one bass being returned in the last few years & that had a fault in the neck weave. Rob was so mortified that he made the client a complete new bass! Now that's what I call customer service :huh:

[quote name='thedonutman' post='265988' date='Aug 19 2008, 11:49 PM']I wonder what Peavey did with their graphite necked basses, didn't they just do one model? I wonder if they subcontracted as well, I can't imagine they'd add special equipment to their factory just for one line of basses.[/quote]

As already noted by Big Red X, Modulus were definitely involved in the production of necks for the range of `B-Quad' basses (complete with the famous `flakes of graphite' as per the regular Modulus range) - would assume they also made the necks for the Peavey G-Bass (see the For Sale area - there's one there) - although these basses have a similar `weave' as per Status etc. I know the MusicMan Cutlass basses had a very tight weave, again, these necks were also produced by Modulus. Anyone recall their BASSTAR necks?

Edited by doctor_of_the_bass

[quote name='BigRedX' post='265959' date='Aug 19 2008, 11:08 PM']Really like the look of the Streamline. Is there anywhere you can try these other than a trip to Status HQ?[/quote]

I will have mine at the SE bash, and the next Northampton one , whenever that will be. I can't see Rob outsourcing, as CK said Rob likes to be hands on in the production. But the same could be said for any of our bespoke bass makers in the uk, Im sure there would be a few people who would buy a Korean Made Shuker/GB/JD for half the price, but would it still be the real thing? As for the need to produce a cheaper Status all graphite bass, when i called to order mine it was a 12 week wait, Dawn told me they were unable to make any Streamliners to have as "in stock" as they were selling them before they were complete, so i figure they are not having any trouble selling them at the current price.

I love my Streamliner & hopefully I will have the funds to get a 5er soon :)