Why become a member? ×

Status Graphite Streamline Review

Lownote-LA

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='265998' date='Aug 20 2008, 12:01 AM']Excellent practical review, btw :) I've played a Streamline at the factory & I was very impressed by it. I felt it had a huge range of tones on offer and the smaller body size seemed to make no difference to the tone - It really does sound much mightier than it looks!

As for production, I know that the 'streamlining' (no pun intended!) of the operation in recent years has helped the company keep ahead of the competition and has also done no harm to the image and perceived value of the brand. I know Rob wouldn't outsource any production as he's kept a tight grip on the quality control for a very long time. You know you're going to get a first class instrument & that there will be no quality issues at all. I've only heard of one bass being returned in the last few years & that had a fault in the neck weave. Rob was so mortified that he made the client a complete new bass! Now that's what I call customer service :huh:[/quote]

+1

I certainly couldn't fault any aspect of the construction of the S2 I had from Status. The fit and finish surpassed my expectations by a country mile - my previous experience of a "high end" bass was a Warwick Streamer Jazzman, and it blew it out of the water in terms of build quality. It literally felt like I could throw it off a bridge and it would still be in tune afterwards.

I'm pleased that my review has generated this level of comment and activity. One thing that I didn't say in my review--and should have--is that the manufacturing quality and set-up of the Streamline is the best I've ever experienced in the world of bass guitars. The instrument arrived at my flat in Scotland so well packed that I have a lifetime of bubble wrap saved. The intonation and action were perfect. The quality of the instrument itself was flawless. This is my first Status-Graphite axe and I wish other manufacturers could match this level of quality. I played Only the Brave again tonight, and the bass was again exactly right for what I needed. As I've worked more with it, I find myself dialing in more and more of the neck pickup to get the fatter sound I'm seeking, particularly for the ballads with their long sustained notes. Of course, this could also be a function of the very funky speaker (a GK MB150X) that I'm using as a stage monitor.

Erik Hansen
Scotland

• 6 months later...