Why become a member? ×

String through body vs string through bridge (again)

Brother Jones

This has been discussed in the past, mainly with a view to string tension. I think the consensus was that difference was marginal at best. I've played Jazz basses of one sort or another for 30 years (from Hohners and Tokais to NYC Sadowskys), and string-through Fenders since 2001 when I bought my first US Jazz Deluxe.

So, having a Sunday afternoon string changeover, I decided to do a little A/B test on my 2012 US Jazz Standard, using a nearly-new set of DR Sunbeams (45-105).

In theory, there should be little if any difference in tension, because the strings are free to move at the saddles. There is a potential, if slight difference to tone, as the strings are coupled more directly to the resonant mass of the body when strung through it.

There is room for quite a bit of optimism bias here. But the difference seems quite marked.The string tension is palpably lower when strung through the bridge, while the sound is slightly, but noticeably more like a traditional Jazz - a bit more hollowed out and clanky. The string to string balance has changed slightly as well, for the worse.

I'm not sure which I ultimately prefer, but have left it strung through the bridge for now...

If I'd had the wherewithal, I'd have recorded the difference, as it certainly seems noticeable.

It makes little difference in my opinion. I prefer to have the option of through-bridge because through-body isn't kind to flatwounds.

Having said that, the original strings on the first 51 P basses (through body) were flats - rounds appeared later - and apparently some flats are more suitable than others for through-body, so your mileage may vary...

Edited by discreet

Aside from the compliance factor - on some basses it's mandatory (like the original P bass), and on some it's strongly advised (like the G&L L-2500 - where the bridge is only attached with two screws and the through body stringing helps keep the bridge down. It's possible to top load these, but you're asking an awful lot of those two screws. Doesn't affect the 4 string - screwed down with 6 screws and no through body stringing available). On any Gibson with through body stringing and a three point bridge (RD, Ripper spring to mind) it helps keep string silks/ratty end bits away from the bridge saddles, because the top load anchor is so close to the saddles.

The single biggest difference between the two methods: one clamps the bridge on, the other tries to tear it off.
Having said that, I'm rather fond of the Yamaha angled thru-body idea - seems logical, and is probably entirely ok for LaBellas.

Unless you tune to a different note or change the strings for a different gauge or manufacturer, then there can be no difference in tension.

One may, and I do mean 'may', experience an apparent change in compliance or elasticity. I have never noticed that myself.

But the physics of it means that one would expect the string to feel tighter (i.e. less compliant) when strung through bridge and looser (i.e. more compliant) when strung through the body - because of the extra length of string beyond the witness point supposedly allowed greater flexibility along the length of the whole string.

BigRedX's link is very useful.