Why become a member? ×

Using a Tablet for Songs and Stuff

lowlandtrees

Can anyone give me advice about the above. It seems standard now to gig and rehearse with your stuff on a tablet. Would in particular like to know[list]
[*]Can you use a cheaper tablet rather than an ipad. How much should I pay for one?
[*]What software do you need?
[*]Which websites are useful for downloading songs and do they offer transposition?
[*]Can you upload sheet music?
[*]Best mic stand mount?
[/list]
Thanks

Our guitarist uses an iPad. I've used a cheap and cheerful Chinese tablet in the past (wrote a web page which contained the set list and allowed me to expand and collapse my notes for songs I wasn't sure of, then put it onto the tablet and viewed it in a browser). There's something called Setlist Helper which I started using but haven't done anything with recently, and also if you go to [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/[/url] you'll find they have an app (Android, iOS, and I think mini-Windows) for tabs. I've just got a Nexus 10 so I want to have another explore of what might be available.

I use iRealPro for jazz gigs. I can call up 1300 tunes in chords form - lyrics and melodies (top line) are copyrighted, chord sequences aren't. It'll also transpose quickly if the guys on the front want a different key. It also does backing tracks and other stuff for practising which I don't use. There are Android and iOS versions available. I use an iPad Air on a music stand - haven't shelled out for the clamp version yet. It's great for freelance/dep gigs.

I can't speak for other tablets as I use an iPad. IPads might be more expensive to buy but you get free uploads of the operating software whenever they are available. I bought a used iPad 2 on ebay. That cost as much as an android tab. It has been brilliant.

I use iReal Pro as well. Really good for practicing jazz and other styles available too. I have a tuner too, Guitar Tuna, which has the ability to tune guitars 4, 5 and six string basses. I also use Cubasis to record. Endless multi tracks with effects and editing.

Amplitube and other apps provide effects which are often great quality. You do have to be aware there is often a very slight delay as the sound works its way through the software.. It's only milliseconds so you can get used to ot quickly.

You can get all the best synths as well for a tiny fraction of the price of a hardware version. Sound quality is second to none.

We all use iPads and onsong app. It allows us to change key, highlight chords, scroll the screen.... It's quite useful. You can send entire set lists to each other on PDF opened into onsong.
Only prob is that all songs have been put on from the community and just like guitar tab sites chords are often wrong but its pretty easy to edit and upload your own ideas.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1426768483' post='2721697']
... IPads might be more expensive to buy but you get free uploads of the operating software whenever they are available...
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by this?

If you just want to read music off your tablet, I'm sure Android will be fine. If you want to integrate it into your rig in some way (using it for backing tracks or whatever) then I think an iPad is the best. I've not had much joy trying to use my andoid tablet for anything involving audio

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1426768483' post='2721697']
IPads might be more expensive to buy but you get free uploads of the operating software whenever they are available.
[/quote]

You mean like Nexus tablets, and most Android tablets from "name" manufacturers?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1426773397' post='2721787']
Yeh, that's what I didn't get. Who charges for OS updates?!
[/quote]

Ehm, Microsoft. They don't exactly give free updates from XP to 2000 to Vista to 7 to 8 and on.

But as I said I can't speak for other tablets so I have learnt something today.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1426782961' post='2721926']
Ehm, Microsoft. They don't exactly give free updates from XP to 2000 to Vista to 7 to 8 and on.

[/quote]

I read yesterday that Windows 10 will be a free update for everyone including those with pirate copies!

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1426784026' post='2721944']
I read yesterday that Windows 10 will be a free update for everyone including those with pirate copies!
[/quote]

For those of us with Raspberry Pi model 2s, it's free anyway. When they get it out, that is.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1426789990' post='2722042']
For those of us with Raspberry Pi model 2s, it's free anyway. When they get it out, that is.
[/quote]

That reminds me I need to get a couple of those :)

I use OnSong on an iPad 2 mainly. I create my own chord charts usually grabbed from Ultimate Guitar (YMMV of course). OnSong can scroll automatically in a timed manner so that for a long chord sheet you are not trying to turn pages. Though I did try using a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI footboard and having my iPad in a Behringer iS202 iPad interface and then defining a couple of the foot switches be page on and page back.

There are many other options.