Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner.

piffle

I had a Streamliner 900 for a few weeks, hated it. Could not get a useable tone from it at all. Sold it and went back to my Markbass LMII, much more useable and sounded louder to my ears.
This was through Barefaced cabs.

Really like Markbass heads, the LM2 & 3 are great, although the Bass Show at the weekend has me secretly eying up the Aguilar Tonehammer 500

Si

Loved my Streamliner, with Barefaced and Schroeder cabs. So much so I'm getting it back. My Markbass F1 is OK, but lacks the character of the Streamliner.

I also A-B'd it against an M-Pulse and a Walkabout I owned. They were nice, but the Streamliner was better. The EQ is different to most, something you have to get the hang of.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1425895886' post='2711819']
I had a Streamliner 900 for a few weeks, hated it. Could not get a useable tone from it at all. Sold it and went back to my Markbass LMII, much more useable and sounded louder to my ears.

Really like Markbass heads, the LM2 & 3 are great, although the Bass Show at the weekend has me secretly eying up the Aguilar Tonehammer 500

Si
[/quote]

You won`t regret the TH500 Si, especially through a Barefaced cab.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425894896' post='2711804']
But do you see them on the 'best' gigs..?
[/quote]

I would say that you do, but it depends what you mean by "the best gigs". While there are plenty of top players who will insist on their specific Class AB amps and ceramic speakers, there are also guys like Lee Sklar using high-end Class-D and neo gear, and surely he's one of the top working bassists around.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1425895886' post='2711819']
[/quote]
[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1425905304' post='2711971']
Loved my Streamliner, with Barefaced and Schroeder cabs. So much so I'm getting it back. My Markbass F1 is OK, but lacks the character of the Streamliner.
[/quote]

Each to their own, eh?

Yep, just goes to show something or other - as an example, WoT and I have played a range of similar amps, and we have completely opposing views on them. I even bought his Walkabout and sold it back to him shortly afterwards. Not that we get into scuffling in the taxi queue about it - we're far too gentlemanly for such indignities - but it's interesting anyway. B)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1425813229' post='2710876']
The Streamliner was the best of the micros I tried, but I still thought - in keeping with the others - that it lacked backbone.

The Walkabout gives me the tubey tone, and small-ish size, with the heft of a transformer. I've been happy since.
[/quote]

I'd be really interested to hear your opinion on the Demeter head.

I've been completely blown away by it - it's got so much more welly than any other Class D power section I've ever heard - to the point that my Mesa Prodigy went so I could get the Demeter.

We had a lightweight amp shootout at the TKS workshop back in September. If I remember correctly, the two favourites were the Streamliner 900 and the MB Fusion 500. You could get the same kind of sound out of them, but not exactly. The Streamliner felt more like a full valve amp than the MB Fusion. One or the other, both will make you happy.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1425924602' post='2712351']
I've been completely blown away by it - it's got so much more welly than any other Class D power section I've ever heard - to the point that my Mesa Prodigy went so I could get the Demeter.
[/quote]

Blimey! That's some recommendation!

[quote name='piffle' timestamp='1425576261' post='2708776']
Hi guys,
For sometime i have been looking for a GB streamliner head. Sadly i haven't been able to find one (except at a hugely inflated price).
So my question is .. what thoughts people may have as to a similar sounding alternative thats as simple to use. I play a Warwick streamer II
currently using a 1980's Trace Elliot AH500, with a shiny new Barefaced BT2.

cheers folks
[/quote]

what's a hugely inflated price?
I see them not too unfrequently for around £400 (the 900, or less for the 600 version). That's what I paid for mine more or less (I bought the Shuttle 9.2 new, but the Streamliner 900 was used).

I am a HUGE fan of the Streamliner 900. My advice: keep looking. It's a terrific amp. I'd consider the Aguilar TH500 as an alternative, but it frustrated me i the way every control seems to interact with everything else. The Streamliner is almost plug and play. It's really hard to get a bad sound out of it. :)

I agree that what try go for is not 'hugely inflated'
Two years ago, they went for around £500 used, but then when the retailers dropped the Genz prices after production stopped, the used price dropped to around £400, and have stayed there ever since.

Edited by Roland Rock

I'am with sibob here, I had a streamliner 900...bought without trying it!.warm sound,yes!
but that's where it ended. I went to a little mark 2, and found it suits me better as it
has a better eq and is just as loud(if not louder)than the genz..must be bigger watts!