Why become a member? ×

Covers For Amps And Cabs

spongebob

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1425389051' post='2706763']
I currently don't have a cover for my cab, which means I have to shoo the cat away from using it as a scratching post - I don't really get carpet covers on cabs? Aside from the problems for cat owners, tolex has always looked so much better and more hard wearing to me?

My head's in a rack case, so that's covered - I'm surprised more guitar amps aren't rack mountable, It does strike me as the best solultion.
[/quote]

I've found carpet to be far more hard waring than tolex, but then I don't have any pets or children.

As for guitar amps, if you think that too many bassist are stuck in the past, then they've got nothing on guitar players… Look at what is desirable in the world of guitar amplification and it all appears to be throw-backs to the 50s and 60s both inside (fair enough if that is the sound you want) and outside - not so good when you are trying to deal with top-mounted controls on a tilt-back stand. Watching guitarists in previous bands contort themselves to see and alter their settings on these amps was always a good source of amusement.

Been gigging the same Trace Combo with SWR ext cab for the thick end of 10 years now, both 'carpeted', never had a cover for either. Still in reasonable nick for the use I've had. I don't treat them like they were made of china nor do I chuck them down flights of stairs. I expect me always taking them to gigs personally rather than them being in a communal van is probably half the reason they are as they are. My PK5 pedals and sound module are flight cased though.

Edited by KevB

The amp is rack mounted with secure covers on the front and back. I use an Ampeg 6x10 cabinet for most of the shows. It is in a a well padded hardshell case that opens up in front for sound with a little door in back allowing it to connect to the amp. It's on large wheels located on the back allowing it to be easilly moved by just one person if necessary. When we're unloading and loading, we simply use it as a glorified handtruck on the trip from or to the trailer. lol

<><Peace

Roqsolid or (in the case of the Bergs) manufacturer soft cover for cabs - to protect against scratches or gouges rather than significant impacts. Ditto for the Mackie SRM450 PA speakers (the bags also function as trolleys which is nice).

The amp is a Tecamp Puma 900 which is tiny, comes with a gigbag, and fits (in its gigbag and with speaker, jack-to-jack, and mains cables) inside a B&Q aluminium case.

Berg and Aguilar supply very good covers which far out class the offering from the
likes of Roqsolid, but then they are twice the price.
A thin covering typical from the budget offerings stops a few scratches and that
can be all you need if you are very careful loading your stuff so you pays your money..??

• 3 weeks later...

Just a bump - ordered a new cover from Roqsolid the other week, it came in five working days - had a problem with handle covers - phoned & spoke to Bryn - 'send it back' - did, and was phoned by Lee, very concerned that they got it right - arrived back three days later, absolutely perfect, so, great product, great customer service, great attitude, all for forty-odd quid............

:)