Why become a member? ×

Look at this 70's Precision on ebay

fleamail

I wanted to bid on this bass which ends today but then I noticed something in one photo which is quite strange.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230279686092&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=013[/url]

Look at the photo here:

Aren't the strings aligned completely wrong?

trouble is, with the bridge and pickup covers on you can't tell where the problem lies and if it's fixable.
edit, looking at the other pics it looks like the bridge and the cover were installed too far to the G side.
70's Fender quality control for you.

Edited by SJA

It's a 3 bolt Fender FFS... all it needs is a firm pull the other way and it'll be c*ck on! Until you knock it the other way of course :)

Stuff like that is easily enough fixable by a competent DIYer or a straightforward job for a professional but factor in the hassle when setting your budget.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='263249' date='Aug 15 2008, 05:06 PM']It's a 3 bolt Fender FFS... all it needs is a firm pull the other way and it'll be c*ck on! Until you knock it the other way of course :huh:

Stuff like that is easily enough fixable by a competent DIYer or a straightforward job for a professional but factor in the hassle when setting your budget.[/quote]

It's a four bolt! :)

Si

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='263230' date='Aug 15 2008, 04:46 PM']As he's had the neck off at least once (for the photos) is it possible that the neck hasn't gone back on quite square, hence the string alignment?[/quote]

from the pics of the back of the body the neck seems to line up fine with the heel block, so i'd say it's the bridge placement to blame.
also if the bridge was placed right (and the neck out) , the strings wouldn't be so out of centre with the pickguard screw by the pickup cover.

yep, the precision never got 3 bolts- only Jazzes and the 70's (mudbucker) Tele bass.

Edited by SJA

I used to be able to get the strings on my Mexican Precision to do that just by pressing down on the top of the neck as I wore the guitar. Tightening the screws made no difference, it was that minute amount of play in the pocket that did it and it only needs to be a MINUTE amount. The very reason why Billy Sheehan abandoned his Precision for Yamahas (check out [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twEvRB9raZo"]this[/url] at 1:38 where Billy describes the problem he had with his Precision.

Thankfully my Japanese P doesn't do it.

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='263322' date='Aug 15 2008, 07:08 PM']It would appear we share a former band Ed... I played with Stiddy and the lads until he did off for better things :)[/quote]

Gunslinger?
Gawd, it's a small world.
Bliddy good band that was, I still have some demos somewhere....

[quote name='Hellrazor' post='263830' date='Aug 17 2008, 08:50 AM']Gunslinger?
Gawd, it's a small world.
Bliddy good band that was, I still have some demos somewhere....[/quote]

I got given a bunch of demos prior to joining (may still have them somewhere), would you likely be playing on them?

Actually... that was so long ago that the music is fashionable again :)