Why become a member? ×

Live goofs that stick in memory

EBS_freak

During my first ever gig which was all original music I accidentally played the verse of our third song during the second song. I only realised this when the third song started! We were rather unrehearsed and the sound wasn't clear enough for me to know better. I didn't ask for it to be sorted either...due to nerves probably.

Same gig. During the first verse of the first song the drummers kick pedal beater thing stuck to the bass drum and wouldn't budge. luckily he used a double kick pedal and was good enough to use his left foot for the full thing

I was once in a band with a lead guitarist who got a bit pissed, He tuned up using his new (chromatic) tuner, so all the strings are pitch perfect, just not in any recognisable order. We were playing Long Train Runnin' and the rhythm bass and drums had all come in before he started playing what should have been the lead line. He was too pissed to notice but the rest of the band and at least some of the punters weren't.

Never, ever stop once you're started as they say, but boy it was bad and I couldn't let it go on. That was the last time I played with that guitarist and I believe thats the last public performance he ever gave ater maybe 40 years playing.

I found a recording of the night a few weeks ago and its as bad a s I remember.

Sometime in the 2000s I went to see YES in Glasgow. They were a few minutes into (I think) the revealing science of God or maybe Ritual - one of the topographic oceans tracks anyway - when Jon stopped the band cos he'd totally lost track of where they were and missed his vocal cue.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1425011309' post='2702902']
Also, years back now, I saw Madonna play the BRITs, and she was dressed like Cruella De Ville and hand a bunch of demon goat dancers, and one of them grabbed her cape and Madonna landed on her arse! Oh, how we laughed at the time. Mind you, this was in the days before the internet, so it wasn't immediately talked about everywhere.
[/quote]

Do you remember what colour her dress was?

Playing Black Knight, something was wrong, in fact it was fecking awful. I glance down at my left hand- no it's not me, I glance at the guitarists, everything seems to be right (or as much as they get it right anyway)

After about a verse and a half (seriously) guitarist 1 works out that one of his silly foot buttons is still set to 1 tone down from the previous song....

I still fail to see the funny side

Many moons ago, playing in a pub on a Sunday lunchtime, the singer's brand new radio mic (of which he was very proud) picked up a local taxi-cab. How the other three of us managed to carry on playing through the tears of laughter I'll never know. One of my all-time favourite gigging moments that I will treasure for ever.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1425309438' post='2706065']
Do you remember what colour her dress was?
[/quote]

Gold and blue. Or maybe it was black and white? Hard to tell, these days, what with the colour-shifting garments of the modern age. It's a civilisation in decline, I tells ya!

We played a gig recently and one of the songs had two guitar solos in it. During the first, I was struggling to hear him. After we finished, a friend in the audience said, we couldn't hear the lead at the start, to which I relayed to said guitarist. He replied, " when I started I hit the boost pedal twice by mistake" I thought, " why the f*** couldn't you hit it three times then?"

Obviously, he couldn't concentrate on more than one thing!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1425896049' post='2711826']
We played a gig recently and one of the songs had two guitar solos in it. During the first, I was struggling to hear him. After we finished, a friend in the audience said, we couldn't hear the lead at the start, to which I relayed to said guitarist. He replied, " when I started I hit the boost pedal twice by mistake" I thought, " why the f*** couldn't you hit it three times then?"

Obviously, he couldn't concentrate on more than one thing!
[/quote]

Three shall be the number thou shalt stomp, and the number of the stomping shall be three.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1425896489' post='2711836']

Three shall be the number thou shalt stomp, and the number of the stomping shall be three.
[/quote]

And lo, it will be so from now until eternity!

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1425933033' post='2712519']

Everything I dislike about Guns 'n' Roses in one video. Axl's weird contorted singing voice, that thick sludgy Les Paul tone, the weedy watery bass tone... too much coke in this video.
[/quote]

And that my friend is what cements my statement that art is subjective. I like Guns, I like the guitar sound, I like Axls voice, I like Duffs sound. It's great that we don't all like the same things innit?

I've seen the carburettors live and was dismayed when the guitarist set fire to his les Paul I asked him about it later and he told me that he'd swapped the good one out for an old plank just before the song started. Phew!

I can confirm that the Strat set alight by Graham Oliver at Nottingham in 1983 was a Squier rather than the Fender he used the rest of the time, 'cos me and my mate, accompanied by a roadie, were dispatched to Carlsboro Music in Leicester to collect the poor thing for him before the show.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-lyxqHzNM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=wY-lyxqHzNM[/url]

37:14

I guess these days it'd probably be regarded as a "vintage classic" rather than a cheap sacrificial substitute...... :rolleyes: