Why become a member? ×

My first attemp at Bi Amping

sk8

Okay. This is a video of my first go at biamping.

[URL="http://youtu.be/211aH34lHhA"]http://youtu.be/211aH34lHhA[/URL]

Hopefully the link will work as its my first upload to YouTube. Sound quality not brilliant as recorded it on my phone.

It goes
Clean bass
Octave up through guitar amp
Both.

Love it!

I do this all the time. Though usually have grit on the "clean" signal as then the two tones meld together better. Also find a thicker/higher gain tone (some crunchy fuzzes work for this. EQ's Muff or a Mastotron I found sound the best!) for the octave tone to stop it sounding to "precise".

I've experimented with, and like having clean signal and an octave up and one tone for some really huge roaring tone haha!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1424646259' post='2698818']
Love it!

I do this all the time. Though usually have grit on the "clean" signal as then the two tones meld together better. Also find a thicker/higher gain tone (some crunchy fuzzes work for this. EQ's Muff or a Mastotron I found sound the best!) for the octave tone to stop it sounding to "precise".

I've experimented with, and like having clean signal and an octave up and one tone for some really huge roaring tone haha!
[/quote]

It was as much about proving the concept as experimenting with sound

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1424774357' post='2700208']

Was just throwing out more wicked combinations you may wish to try!

It gets very addictive, and expensive fast haha! :)
[/quote]

No worries. You've got me thinking. A bit of grit on the bass did work a bit better at mixing in. Was thinking about fuzzing the octave up too.

Thinking of getting a tiny terror too.

Hmmmm. Yes, expensive it shall get!

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1424989759' post='2702807']
sounds very nice, i just got a bass whammy and a ehx switchblade plus to experiment with doing something like this!

andy
[/quote]

Very impressed with the switchblade +
Quality pedal for the price point

Good sounds

I've been running dual rigs since the band started about 4 months ago and we decided we only wanted 1 guitarist

Currently running into a MXR AB box which is similar to the switchblade, then the bass signal goes through its chain of effects including an octabass to allow me to add a lower note

The second signal runs through a EHX Micro pog to get the upper octave this then runs to a line 6 spider iv combo to produce the guitar sound
I have the floor controller with volume pedal which allows me to change patches and bring the guitar in and out as required during parts of the song, this I find easier than switching pedals on and off
I use this amp as it has a smart harmony feature which also allows me to add an upper fifth to the note and create a power chord if needed as well

On the bass side I have added a stutter switch in the chain which allows me to instantly kill the bass note if needed to play a guitar fill before bringing back in the bass

[quote name='scoobystig' timestamp='1425112372' post='2703991']
Good sounds

I've been running dual rigs since the band started about 4 months ago and we decided we only wanted 1 guitarist

Currently running into a MXR AB box which is similar to the switchblade, then the bass signal goes through its chain of effects including an octabass to allow me to add a lower note

The second signal runs through a EHX Micro pog to get the upper octave this then runs to a line 6 spider iv combo to produce the guitar sound
I have the floor controller with volume pedal which allows me to change patches and bring the guitar in and out as required during parts of the song, this I find easier than switching pedals on and off
I use this amp as it has a smart harmony feature which also allows me to add an upper fifth to the note and create a power chord if needed as well

On the bass side I have added a stutter switch in the chain which allows me to instantly kill the bass note if needed to play a guitar fill before bringing back in the bass
[/quote]

That's a few levels beyond me but makes perfect sense. As I get going with this I'm sure I'll end up modifying my requirements

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1425158481' post='2704674']

yeh i cant wait to try it out, if it goes well im gonna looking at getting a permanent guitar amp

andy
[/quote]

I've borrowed a Line6 Spider combo off my guitarist but fancy an Orange Tiny Terror stack to much my AD200b and OBC115

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1425202148' post='2704884']
I've been looking at fender twins and vibrolux combos
[/quote]

I've ordered a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeistewr 18 NOS and a G112 Harley Benton Cab a Celestion Vintage 30 in it

Nice one :) ... got me thinking about possibly doing the same in our band. I didn't think the guitar part on your vid was bass at first lol so I guess the otave poly thing actually works, but without it I'm also guessing it doesn't sound good ? ie just splitting the bass signal & sending one half to bass amp clean & other to guitar amp distorted without octave up will not sound good ?

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1426666402' post='2720382'] Nice one :) ... got me thinking about possibly doing the same in our band. I didn't think the guitar part on your vid was bass at first lol so I guess the otave poly thing actually works, but without it I'm also guessing it doesn't sound good ? ie just splitting the bass signal & sending one half to bass amp clean & other to guitar amp distorted without octave up will not sound good ? [/quote]

I'm splitting the signal then sending the one to the guitar amp trhough the POG using Octave up only, so its put it into the guitar register. I theroy it would work without the POG but all you are doing then is overdriving the bass at its noraml register. Using the octave up puts it in guitar space, as I'm really trying to be a sort of rythym guitar an dfill out gaps in the sound

I had a go at bi-amping at a gig I did last December and it sounded great. My setup is somewhat different to the OP because my bass has two outputs one per pickup so I was able to keep the signals separate all the way from the bass, through two pre-amps and into a stereo power amp to the cabs. When I was trying it out beforehand at home I fed a Roland JC120 from the crossover high output from the pre-amp that was fed from the bridge pickup and that sounded lush even without switching the amp's chorus effect. I don't think it's something I will be doing all the time but I will take the opportunity to do so when it arises.
Here is a link to the video with the bi-amping setup.

[url="https://youtu.be/o3DD0UbiRrY"]https://youtu.be/o3DD0UbiRrY[/url]

The sound engineer took 4 signals from my setup, one from each of the pre-amp DI's and one from each of the cabs.

Edited by jazzyvee