Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 - Considering A Change?

spongebob

I've been playing my Markbass rig for a good while now, a 121P and New York cab. Went for them at the time for the weight saving.

Been fancying a change, and the new Fender 500 Rumble combo has got my attention.

It comes in about 16kg, my Markbass bits are about 15 each. A nice bit lighter!

Obviously the Fender is 2x10", against the 2x12" of the MB. From memory, my output from the MB is 500 watts....same as the smaller-speakered Fender?

My gigs are mainly pub gigs, in which I've never really turned up the MB above about a 1/4! I did add the cab originally as the amp alone lacked the power.

I've read some good stuff about these - what do you guys reckon? Worth a change? I'm sure I'd have no issue selling the MB rig as it's great kit, but I just feel like a change!

Not sure this is any help but,
I have a few mini stacks, a GB shuttle 6, tone Hammer 500, a few cabs GB Neo 212 and 2 Aguilar Gs 112's. I like to swap and change a bit...
But for the last 6 months I have been using the rumble 500 combo and love it, at larger gigs and rehearsal I stick the Aggie 112 under it and it gives me just the tone I like.
I'd suggest if you possibly can try one out first before you move any of your gear on. MB gear is used a liked by a lot of people.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1424007486' post='2691430']
I think and I could be wrong! But from what I have read the Fender v3 500w 210 combo runs at 8 ohms (around 320 watts without an extension) and spreads the load to 4 ohms and the full 500 watts when an extension cab is used.
Not sure about the MB stuff.
[/quote]

Similar with the MB, it`s 300 watts on its own - 500 when an extension cab is connected. And 2x10s is a bigger surface area than 1x12 so if the MB 112 can be giiged singly, so will the Rumble 210.

I used to have the Rumble 210 predecessor, and it was plenty enough for the gigs I was doing. Really nice warm rich tone, especially with a Precision. I`ve got a Rumble 15 (older version) as a practice amp and love it as well.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1424083236' post='2692276']
I'm guessing I could always plug in my Markbass extension cab if more volume was required?
[/quote]

Definitely for your bigger gigs. I believe the 500 bizarrely operates at 350watts at 8 Ohms, so you need an extension cab to get all the juice out of it.

As an aside, I love the Rumble amps. I bought one of the previous gen 15's after two similarly priced Ampegs crapped out on me, and then upgraded to the new Rumble 40 (lighter, XLR out, 3 preamp voices, 4-band EQ, and built in overdrive) which I see no need to upgrade. It's a cracking amp.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424120356' post='2692943']
There is some presumption that they are based largely on the Genz Benz amps, anyone looked inside any? I liked the Contour amps which I'd guess these are the same as but in a new box.
[/quote]

Fender acquired GB, GB disappears from the market, Fender releases new lightweight range of amps. It's an easy conclusion to draw, but I can't say I'm an expert, nor have I cracked open my amp to have a look!